We Outnumber Them

CNSNews: Gallup Poll: Conservatives 42%, Liberals 21%

Self-professed conservatives now outnumber self-professed liberals in the United States, 42 percent to 21 percent, according to a Gallup poll published Monday. Another 37 percent described themselves as moderates.

The polls show a slight increase in the percentage of conservatives from the last time Gallup reported these numbers. On Aug. 1, Gallup said that in its polling during the first half of 2011, 41 percent of respondents described themselves as conservatives, 21 percent described themselves as liberals, and 36 percent described themselves as moderates.

Over the past two decades, according to Gallup, the percentage of Americans describing themselves as conservative has gradually increased, rising from 36 percent who said they were conservative in 1992.

No need to reinvent the wheel here, folks.  See August 17, 2009: That’s Right — We Outnumber Them.  This, along with the Battleground Poll, should be a lesson to all conservatives that we absolutely, positively do not need to abandon principles for political expediency.

Comments

1. whats_up says:

Or to put it another way, 59% of the country is not Conservative. Conservatives would do well to remember that.

2. Jeff Schreiber says:

Great point, What’s Up.

3. Bob Upton says:

Or to put it several other ways,

79% of the country is not liberal. Liberals would do well to remember that.

The number of Conservatives have grown 50% more than the number of liberals since 1992. Liberals would do well to remember that.

Judging by voting, the majority of conservative voters proudly and consistently vote for conservative ideals and candidates while a large number of “moderates” privately vote for liberal ideals and candidates but are ashamed to label themselves as “liberals” when asked. What, we wonder, are they ashamed of?

What caused one of the founder’s most quoted by liberals to say the following in 1824?
    “I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.”
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Ludlow

What would Jefferson say today if he saw where liberal policies, the resulting rampant growth of government, and the unending increase of federal employees and dependents have taken this great nation he was instrumental in establishing?

He would be ashamed.

4. whats_up says:

@ Bob,

Liberals should do well to remember that, it has cost them when they forgot. However Conservatives dont seem to get that they are not in the majority, yet the sometimes act like they have a god given right to lead. What this poll shows and shows quite well is that you have to win the moderates (those in the middle) to win national elections. When both parties run to their extremes they do a diservice to the rest of the country, because the majority of the country doesnt think like they do.

5. Bob Upton says:

@whats_up,

Sometimes semantics and definitions twisted by societal revisionists let us down.

Extreme means “Being in or attaining the greatest or highest degree.” Spiritually, I am an extreme Christian. Socially, I am an extreme conservative. Politically, I am an extreme constitutionalist. By definition, reaching the extreme of these three facets of my life is, and should be, my goal.

Being “extreme” is not a negative. It is, however, an adjective that can be applied to negative nouns such as “bigot” or “liar”.
    Being an extreme Christian, conservative, constitutionalist does separate me from an extreme humanist, liberal, revisionist. That is inescapable because our opposing principles are not compatible.

Being true to my “extreme” principles can never be a disservice to mu country as I believe those principles to be foundational to my nation’s success and exceptionalism. I did not create my principles, my principles make me who I am. If I believe in my principles I want others to believe them too.

Definition of MODERATE:
    1 a : avoiding extremes of behavior or expression
    b : calm, temperate
    2 a : tending toward the mean or average amount or dimension
    b : having average or less than average quality : mediocre
    3 professing or characterized by political or social beliefs
    that are not extreme
    4 limited in scope or effect

I see no redeeming quality to being a moderate except in 1b above. So, to the moderates I say, “Be calm and temperate. On all other matters, find some core principles and take a stand!”

6. whats_up says:

@ Bob,

I appreciate your beliefs, even if I dont agree with them. You may want others to believe in your principals too, but many dont, just as many dont believe in my prinicpals. Also being moderate is not a bad thing, especially in a Republic. Only those so blinded by their beliefs would say such a thing. Moderate is a principal to many people and they are taking their stand, you just dont like it, just as I may not. However that doesnt mean they arent taking a stand.

7. Bob Upton says:

@whats_up,

I am aware of your beliefs also, I respect your right to hold them and I would gladly fight for your rights to hold those beliefs. I do not agree with them, nor do I “appreciate” them in the general sense of that word. I would like to change your beliefs but know I probably will not succeed.

You have shown yourself to be at least as critical of those that don’t hold your beliefs as you imply that I am. You have displayed quite militant disdain toward toward contributing writers on this site. If your interest does not lie in convincing others to move towards your beliefs than why are you commenting here? You can choose to not visit AR, you can choose to visit and not comment (having gained “insight” into other points of view and beliefs), or you can choose to visit, and comment, and dialogue, and criticize.
    Since you obviously choose the latter, why do you take me to task for stating my beliefs and say that I am “blinded” by my beliefs.
    Do you consider it a possibility that you are “blinded” by yours?

I commented on another site that was critical of some of the Republican candidates simply because they were openly Christian and the sites regulars were literally fearful of these devout Christians getting into office because of their “religious belief system”. I stated in reply, “Every person that seeks office has some belief system. Every belief system has an agenda. Every agenda seeks to propagate and indoctrinate. We are fools to think otherwise. We all choose which indoctrination we will accept. God advises us to choose wisely.” Having the freedom of many beliefs does not make every belief the best.

I find it historically interesting to note that the current percentages of conservatives, moderates and liberals closely mirrors the percentage of colonists that were respectively in favor of revolution, undecided or unsupportive of revolution or adamantly against revolution. If the future of this nation had been left to the “moderates” we would be singing “God save the Queen”. Thank God someone took a stand.

Trackbacks

1. [...] disaster.  Think “macaca” for example.  The one thing that is for certain is that there are more conservatives than liberals in these United States of America, and for that reason this election will be less about wooing independents and more about exciting [...]

2. [...] disaster.  Think “macaca” for example.  The one thing that is for certain is that there are more conservatives than liberals in these United States of America, and for that reason this election will be less about wooing independents and more about exciting [...]