DEAD!!

Former President George W. Bush promised that, “dead or alive,” when it came to Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, the United States would get their man. Yesterday, thanks to a small team of U.S. Navy SEALs and a steadfast president rationally committed enough to send the “go” order, at least part of Bush’s promise was kept.

Osama Bin Laden is dead. As news accounts are saying that he died following a brief firefight from a gunshot wound to the head, I am delighted to know that at least on some level the bastard saw it coming.

While I could easily break apart the remarks delivered in connection with the death of Osama Bin Laden from both President Obama (his remarks were downright great in some places, and shockingly self-serving in others) and former President Bush (a class act, he thanked and congratulated the appropriate people), in the spirit of a united America I see dancing in the streets in New York City and Washington, D.C., I believe that genuine appreciation, congratulations and credit are due to both parties.

I believe that a great deal of appreciation and credit is due to the Bush administration, and its commitment to ensuring that an attack on America and the slaughter of thousands of Americans would not go unpunished. If the attacks of September 11, 2001 had happened today, it would almost certainly be treated as a law enforcement operation, as people like Attorney General Eric Holder not only have lost their stomach–if they ever had one–for doing what’s necessary, but have refused to even identify our enemy as well. George W. Bush, because of his resolve, made sure that such a result never happened.

Likewise, I believe that an even greater amount of appreciation and credit is due to the Obama administration. It was one thing to stand on the rubble of Ground Zero, look around at the twisted metal and somber faces, and swear retribution and justice — but it took an absolutely tremendous amount of political courage to stand up to the unreasonable lefty base of the Democratic Party and remain steadfast enough to do what was right. But for Barack Obama’s willingness to accept reality and dispense where necessary with some select campaign promises, this day would likely not have occurred.

Some of my lefty friends have noted that the death of Osama Bin Laden may make it more difficult to defeat the president in 2012. If that is the case, I welcome it. After all, when it comes to electoral politics liberals often resort to masking their agenda in more moderately palatable actions, and if this particular Oval Office Democrat comes to understand that an aggressive prosecution of our war against Islamic fundamentalism results in positive poll numbers, we’ll all be better off.

It is my hope that Barack Obama will see that such resolve, like extending the Bush tax cuts, may bring about political success at the polls at the expense of angering the base, and he and his crowd will (a) be even more aggressive, and (b) quit welching on the tough stuff–military tribunals, detainee detention–that needs to be done to effectively prosecute this war. According to news accounts, the CIA was led to Osama Bin Laden by an Al Qaeda courier, and led to the courier by detainees captured and detained shortly after the 9/11 attacks. We need to keep pressing, and if there is a bump in the polls because of this news, I hope that Obama learns from it.

Likely, however, this miraculous night will not have as much of an effect on Obama’s re-election as he and his friends may like. The problem, politically, is that little if anything will change. Islamic fundamentalism will still persist and permeate mainstream Islam, Eric Holder will still refuse to acknowledge the truth, and the economy–not Bin Laden’s rotting corpse–will still be the big issue in the 2012 election. The fact is, if the president tries to use this achievement–albeit a fantastic one–to his political advantage, he will be not-so-gently reminded that his actions with regard to every aspect of the war on Islamic fundamentalism are, in reality, simply an extension of Bush administration policy.

Domestically, it is my hope that, In the meantime and for the time being, we use this particular breakthrough as a way to come together. Already, the death of Osama Bin Laden has brought forth something that I never thought I would see — an acknowledgment and repudiation, by the Council for American-Islamic Relations, of radical Islam.

“As we have stated repeatedly since the 9/11 terror attacks, bin Laden never represented Muslims or Islam In fact, in addition to the killing of thousands of Americans, he and Al Qaeda caused the deaths of countless Muslims worldwide. We also reiterate President Obama’s clear statement tonight that the United States is not at war with Islam.”

As it stands now, it’s shortly after 2:00 a.m. and the streets of New York City and Washington, D.C. are packed with people holding Bush/Cheney signs, people chanting “O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!” until their voices grow hoarse, and students who are simply there because studying for final exams just is not as fun. Most importantly, they’re waving American flags. Here in America, we could use a little reason for unity. While I fear that we will be sniping at one another once again within a day or two, I hope that we can come together here in these United States.

In matters abroad, the more we learn about the location and circumstances of Osama Bin Laden’s death it seems that Pakistan, as Ricky Riccardo was fond of saying, certainly “has some ‘splainin’ to do.” The mansion that served as Bin Laden’s final residence–not counting Hell, of course–was located in Abbotabad, Pakistan, home of the Pakistan Military Academy. It was reportedly built in 2005, it is reportedly eight times as large as surrounding homes, and it is surrounded by 18-foot-high walls. Even better — it’s actually on the map, so to speak, as it has already been located and plotted on Google Maps, and it’s right next to an educational institution, three hospitals, a playground, and a police station. That Osama Bin Laden was hiding in plain sight is curious; that the United States Military decided to apprise the Pakistanis of the operation only after its completion is telling.

Most importantly of all, as we revel in the news of Bin Laden’s death and marvel at the scenes playing out on our television sets we need to remember that it may be shortly after 2:00 a.m. on the east coast here in the United States of America, but in Afghanistan it is morning, and there are brave and unselfish American men and women on patrol and in the crosshairs of an inevitably emboldened enemy.

Pray for them. After all, recall the words of the great Winston Churchill: “This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

Comments

1. story says:

jeff
    is this real?
    it sound very funny to me, that “one” seems to be low on credibility, that bc instead of bringing light, brings more shadows, and now this, and rright away this guy is thown at the sea, instead of leaving it burried for a time to verify his id
    what do you think?

2. Jeff Schreiber says:

I think it’s for real. If it was political, it would have been done right before the election.

As for the burial at sea, I understand why they did it. I just hope that they took PLENTY of photographic and DNA evidence.

3. story says:

i hope everything will be for the best

4. Boston Blackie says:

Great job by our brave servicemen and women who put their life on the line everyday. I give Obeyme credit for giving the go ahead to get Bin Laden (not like Clinton when he had the chance).
    However, can Obeyme just once stop with the “I” “I” “I”… how about “we” since like they say there is no I in team. I love that all the lefties are laughing at Bush since he never got Bin Laden and Obeyme did. They simply ignore the fact that intelligence was tracking the courier for years to get to Bin Laden. The icing on the cake would be if the initial info naming the courier came from waterboarding. At this point I don’t care of Snooki had gotten Bin Laden as long as he is now rotting in hell feeding slop to the hogs!!

5. Nicknack says:

Now we wait for the photographs and video of the action. One can only have amazement of the hypocrisy of this fraud in the White House to besmirch the actions of the prior administration in going into Iraq under a UN mandate and call it adventurism and clearly violate the sovereign territory of Pakistan and gloat over their success. Using the same folks that were used for rendition no less.
    The outcome was great but the rhetoric especially of what was said in the past makes this administration and his lackeys truly international criminals. Lets see if Nancy Pelosi will make a trip to Syria now.

6. Sic semper tyrannis says:

Osama died and George Washington met him at the Pearly Gates. He slapped him across the face and yelled, “How dare you try to destroy the nation I helped conceive!”

Patrick Henry approached, punched him in the nose and shouted, “You wanted to end our liberties but you failed!”

James Madison followed, kicked him in the groin and said, “This is why I allowed our government to provide for the common defense!”

Thomas Jefferson was next, beat Osama with a long cane and snarled “It was Evil men like you who inspired me to write the Declaration of Independence.”

The beatings and thrashings continued as George Mason, James Monroe and 66 other early Americans unleashed their anger on the terrorist Leader.

As Osama lay bleeding and in pain, an Angel appeared. Osama wept and said, “This is not what you promised me.”

The Angel replied, “I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for you in Heaven. What did you think I said?”

7. William A. Rose says:

Does anyone ACTUALLY believe the reports of this by any of the main Stream Media and/or the White House account? There are HUGE red flags in this story.

8. Nightdragon says:

You’re correct in giving credit where credit is due re: President Obama. He has proven tougher than we thought. And I say that as someone who’s hardly fond of him.

9. Jeff Schreiber says:

Nicknack, paddywhack, I agree completely. While I give credit to this administration for the result, I find it hypocritical that the same people who wanted to shutter the very means by which the intel leading to this result was gained are now profiting from it.

Hey William, remember:

JFK—-> Camelot
    BHO—-> Hidealot

William,

‘Red’ flags. Imagine that, considering his father (Kenyan), dissident mother, and grandparents were all self-avowed, flaming, radical, COMMUNISTS.

12. Randy Wills says:

Let me get this straight. There was a low risk solution (Hellfire missiles from drones, laser-guided bombs from manned aircraft,etc) and a high risk solution (special ops mission risking the loss of dozens of U.S. personnel, ultra-high tech hardware, and failure-of-mission due to unforeseen circumstances arising from the proximity to the Pakistani military installations), and yet Obama chose the latter.

Or maybe the circumstances weren’t so unforeseen after all. Expecting a mission involving four helicopters, flying in the pitch dark over sovereign Pakistani territory, and a few dozen special ops personnel to go off like clockwork in an “army town” and only 1000 yard from the Pakistani-equivalent to West Point without some prior agreement seems highly unlikely, regardless of what the official line is.

Just think of the reaction in the U.S. if the mission had failed, ala Jimmy Carter and the Iranian rescue or “Black Hawk Down”, and it became known that the same end could have been accomplished via drones and/or manned aircraft with very little risk.

The choice of “boots on the ground” ostensibly was so that we could prove to the world that OBL was truly no longer free to organize and execute terror against innocent people – IF THE MISSION SUCEEDED. So my question is, after all that risk, why was not the order to capture rather than kill Osama, which a person associated with the mission claimed was the order; to “kill, not capture”? And why was the order given to dispose of the body almost immediately at sea as an act of sensitivity to Islamic religious requirements, and in so doing, deny the world IRREFUTABLE proof of his demise? I thought that the Obama administration was committed to the “rule of law”, and hence would have chosen to “bring Osama to justice” under our legal system.

Could it possibly be that the President had political motivations in these decisions?

Call me a cynic if you want, but I listen to what people say, like “never let a good crisis go to waste”, and factor that into whatever happens on their watch. Neither do I believe that leopards change their spots, so, in this case, I’m thinking, “what a great kick-off to the 2012 campaign”.

I’m sorry that I sound so ungrateful for the events of the past few days, or that I’m not in awe of the skill and bravery of our special forces, but of all the threats in the world to the United States, I consider the internal threat of four more years of the present administration to be right at the top of the list.

Randy

13. nana3 says:

I believe in giving credit where credit is due but I differ with the degree of appreciation being given to Obama…he did what we expect a president to do. The TRUE heroes of this mission are the courageous, professional soldiers who executed their jobs brilliantly. George W. Bush reaffirmed the committment to the War on Terror as he viewed the carnage of 9/11. He was courageous as he faced the criticism and berating from the left and the media..he was called a ‘cowboy’ and accused of misstreating the terrorists. Now, Bin Laden has been taken down by utilizing those policies implemented by Bush which Obama fought against. As someone mentioned, we have to listen to Obama “crowing like a rooster trying to take credit for the sun coming up” but we know the truth. The beatification of Obama is ridiculous…the vindication of Bush and the veneration of our military is appropriate.

14. Boston Blackie says:

Sic semper tyrannis(Old Zach?) -
    I hope you don’t mind me using your comments, they were priceless. I wouldn’t expect anything less from someone using the official motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia !!
    Well done.

15. Randy Wills says:

Correction:

I believe the correct number of helicopters was two, not four, as one of the original reports indicated. The “facts on the ground” seem to be changing faster than one can keep up.

Sorry. My bad.

Randy

16. My two sons are third generation Navy. I sent the following email to the one deployed overseas:

In light of recent events, every sailor can walk a little taller this week.

Bravo Zulu to SEAL Team 6.

17. Obama may not have beet as “brave” as his supporters claim (surprised?).

We’ll see. I’m willing to believe the truth, whatever it is. But I insist on the truth.

18. meatbrain says:

“I believe that a great deal of appreciation and credit is due to the Bush administration, and its commitment to ensuring that an attack on America and the slaughter of thousands of Americans would not go unpunished.”

Ah. That “commitment” would include Bush’s comment that he “truly [was] not that concerned about [bin Laden]“.

And that “commitment” was made manifest when the Bush administration terminated the CIA task force charged with finding bin Laden.

Yup, lots of credit is due to Bush. All kinds of credit. Tons of credit. For what, I have no frakkin’ idea.

19. Osama Bin Laden says:

BRB Someone’s at the door

20. William A. Rose says:

It appears many of you do actually believe the popular story about Bin Laden as has been given to us by the government. Folks, don’t be so quick to swallow it. Chew a little first. There are too many aspects to the story that either destroy it’s credibility or, at the very least, gravely undermine the story.

Randy’s comment is pretty good as it shows alternatives to the boots-on-the-ground method.

The more I think about this whole thing, the more I feel it’s a lie. Our government has no problem lying to us – in case you haven’t noticed. The MSM is in the government’s pocket and carrys it’s water – as long as it’s a left-wing administration.

The whole Bin Laden story is just too neat and tidy.

21. whats_up says:

@ Randy,

“…but of all the threats in the world to the United States, I consider the internal threat of four more years of the present administration to be right at the top of the list.”

Isnt it interesting that I have just the opposite concern. Of all the threats in the world to the United States, I consider the internal threat of four years of a Conservative administration to be right at the top of the list.

22. Randy Wills says:

To “whats_up” @ 3:13 PM:

Well, at least one of us is going to have a sense of relief in November of 2012 (unless, of course, it’s Trump vs Obama, in which case I’ll try to find a cave to hide in until the whole thing blows over). And I’ll bet that both of us feel that our fears are well justified, which pretty much sums up the political climate of the United States as far as the eye can see.

Actually, that’s not true – the part about “as far as the eye can see”. I believe that, in view of the hold that the Marxist liberals have on our secondary educational system, the 50/50 standoff will end within a decade – in favor of the Liberal Left. As was said in Germany after WWII, “First, they took our children —-”. We’re on a similar, and historically familiar, path to self-destruction, but hey, “Who is John Galt?”

Seriously, I wonder what it would take to bring a spirit of commonweal to this country. I guess we would first have to agree on the point of philosophic divergence, which, I suspect, would be what I call the “spiritual perspective” or “a worldview based on Judeo/Christian values”, as our founders expressed in virtually all of their writings. Would you agree?

Randy

3:13 – 2:18

It sounds like 1776 in here.
    Grant me courage.

24. graypanther says:

Randy, I would say you rarely verge on reckless, but personally I may not wait until then.