Hi-Cap Mag Ban Will Stop Nothing

MyFoxPhilly: Nutter, Ramsey Back Ammo Magazine Ban

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter and police Chief Charles Ramsey are joining a call for Congress to reinstate a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines like those used in the mass shooting that wounded U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona in January.

Such magazines have been used in several mass shootings in the last few years. A rampage at Virginia Tech in 2007 killed 33 people. A shooting at Northern Illinois University in 2008 left six people dead.

Killings in Binghamton, N.Y., and Fort Hood, Texas, also involved the magazines.

Thirty-three people died at Virginia Tech because nobody was armed and capable of stopping Seung-Hui Cho. It didn’t matter whether he had 33-round magazines for his Glock, or ten-round magazines. Seung-Hui Cho decided when to stop the killing by offing himself; whether his guns held eleven rounds or 34 did not matter so long as nobody was there to stop him.

The same goes for Jared Loughner, who had the element of surprise in Tucson, Arizona. The only person around capable of stopping him was a concealed carry permit holder who did not leave the supermarket and come across the scene until after Loughner had been subdued. Could he have been subdued earlier with smaller magazines? Maybe. But that’s assuming that Jared Lee Loughner would have abided by any legislative effort to ban high-capacity mags.

That’s the thing about gun control efforts such as this — liberals seem to believe that people already intent upon breaking the law will suddenly abide by it. Would Dylan Klebold have killed so many at Columbine if the campus had, at that time, been a “Gun Free School Zone?” Would Nidal Malik Hasan have carried out jihad at Fort Hood if his FN FiveSeven did not hold as many rounds? Would Officer Charles Cassidy have lived if a high-capacity magazine ban have been in place when he was shot in the head–on the very first shot, no less–as he checked on local business owners at a Dunkin’ Donuts?

I’m getting tired of writing the same thing over and over and over again. It’s not the gun, the bullet, or the magazine, folks — it’s the shooter who determines when and where and how the next rampage will happen. Legislation that hinders the right of law-abiding citizens to adequately protect themselves only serves to ensure that more people will die at the hands of people like Loughner, Klebold, and Hasan.

Comments

1. Randy Wills says:

Right on, Jeff. I too am so tired of people believing that “one more law” is going to have any appreciable effect on problems that derive solely from the heart/mindset of individuals. There are not enough shelves in the library of Congress to hold all the man-made laws that would suffice to eliminate the infinite manifestations of fallen human nature.

The Founders knew this, which is why it was said that our form of government was suitable only for a “religious” people who, of their own initiative, obeyed the Ten Commandments out of a sense of accountability to the God of the universe.

Personally, I believe that we are on the edge of being an ungovernable nation.

Randy

2. Bob Upton says:

Bullseye, Jeff!

“The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside…Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them…” (Thomas Paine, I Writings of Thomas Paine at 56 [1894])

“The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” — (Thomas Jefferson)

“It’s not the gun, the bullet, or the magazine, folks”
    (Jeff Schreiber, 2011)

3. Jeff Schreiber says:

Not quite so eloquent, Bob. I get that.

I wasn’t shooting (heh!) for soaring rhetoric, though.

Jeff

4. Bob Upton says:

Don’t go ballistic on me!

My apologies for leaving any impression that would denigrate your eloquence! I obviously missed in my intention but please know that I would never take a cheap shot at you.

I believe you hit the mark and my aim was to include you in the memorable rhetoric and not to draw negative comparisons or target you in any way. The audience today needs your field of vision, your sharp (in)sight, and your clear focus. Fire at will!

Bob Upton

“Aim small, miss small”
    Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Randy is right, we are beyond hope it seems.
    Come on rapture.

6. “I’m getting tired of writing the same thing over and over and over again.”

It’s exhausting dealing with the liberal mentality, isn’t it?

Talk about arrogance with these libs. If GOD’s laws are ignored, what makes em think THEY can legislate anything of essence that’ll stick?

8. William A. Rose says:

I have not one, but TWO, weapons permits. One is the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. Any other law made is an infringement on that right. 2nd, I have a state-issued conceal/carry pemit. And I do carry. Other than a wartime situation (of which I have been part), I cannot imagine ever having to shoot someone. It’s difficult enough in war. That “enemy” is a person too. However, one must decide if he/she is willing to stop someone from hurting someone else by using deadly force. If one cannot do that, then one should not carry. I value life. All life. If someone wants to hurt me or mine or YOU, I will drop them like a rabid dog. And I will not think twice about it.

No amount of laws will deter the criminal, just as was said in this article. It’s up to us to protect one another. Dear Reader, are you prepared to do that? Dear Reader, do you have your Conceal/Carry Permit? Dear Reader, do you carry?

9. Martin Murphy says:

Give me a 30-round magazine or give me three 10-round magazines and a week to practice combat reload drills. There’s going to be pretty much the same results. A highly motivated individual is going to get the job done. Not much chance you can legislate that away.

William A. Rose made me tear up…… awesome, sir.

11. Jeff Schreiber says: