Fort Sumter, Wisconsin

Glenn Beck has referred to the recent events in Egypt as a possible “Prince Ferdinand Moment” in our rapidly unfolding global events.  The events in Wisconsin on Thursday, February 17th, could well be America’s modern Fort Sumter.

I’m not breaking any real news flash when I point out and characterize the political pressure cooker that has gripped this nation generally over the course of the past five years and more specifically during the past two-and-a-half as tantamount to civil war.  It would take far too long and require a requisite degree of historical tedium to explain the root of this ideological conflict, something that, at this point, has become “besides the point”.  Suffice it to say that in a free country that  has always been ideologically center-right, the sometimes subtle, sometimes maniacal efforts of the political Left in America have brought themselves to the point at which all of their goals are reasonably within their grasp.  After investing nearly a century into their efforts, we should not expect them to go quietly.  We do, indeed, have a fight on our hands, even more so as a result of the November elections.   True to form, whenever it seems that their fortunes have turned for the worse and that they’ve been backed into the proverbial corner, that is their cue to collectively – pardon the pun – come out swinging even harder.

The ongoing events in Wisconsin may well be “The Point” on which this country’s future hinges.  Indeed, history is in and of itself replete with turning points, but the entire country is watching the manner in which this will play out.  If the Wisconsin Republicans stand strong – and I say “if” merely because I don’t think we’ve seen anything yet with regard to the lengths to which these people are prepared to go – they may do the single greatest service this country has seen in at least the last generation.  If the power of their public-sector unions is effectively diminished, there will no doubt be a cascade of similar results in states across the country as the dominoes begin to fall.  If, however, they cave to the unrelenting pressure – which will no doubt be psychological, emotional, and physical (threats to themselves and their families, if not downright physical attacks) – then the “unionization” that is so much at the foundation of a socialist/communist infrastructure may well be at least the immediate future of our nation.

There are a few things about what we’re seeing and hearing in and about the Wisconsin events that trouble me.  The first is simply a question: weren’t these officials elected by the people of Wisconsin? I ask this merely because Liberals, apparently, always claim that they’re “for the people”.  If that’s true, then why don’t they acknowledge the will of the people?  The fact that Republicans took majority standing in the Wisconsin legislature is a testament to the fact that the people want the economic situation in their state to be seriously addressed and reflects the general will of the people nationally.  Further, the Democrats that were elected by the people were chosen to do a job – represent their constituents.  So, I ask, therefore: which party was up to the task on the 17th?  One took their places like adults, the other ran away at the first sign of conflict, which is exactly what we’re seeing from the behavior of our young people across the country these days.  In fact, as I’ve pointed out on many occasions during my time as a contributor here at America’s Right , the Liberal mindset is so characteristic of an adolescent child that I find it very, very disturbing.  We essentially have an entire bloc of our populace who simply refuse to deal with turning points in their lives.

The second part of these events that troubles me is that the Democrats’ blanket refusal to report to work and to accept personal responsibility is somehow, someway, being spun as a show of strength and unity by the Progressives in Wisconsin and by the media more generally.  Look, at this point, practically every politically-astute person in the nation with a modicum of common sense long ago gave up on the purported “objectivity” of the national media.  That ship has sailed.

LINK: 15 Photos From the Wisconsin Rallies You’ll Never See in Legacy Media

Beyond that, though, I’m forced to wonder: are there actually people around the country that believe that what the Democrats did  – run away – was the right thing to do? If so, the cultural shift that has taken place in this country may have left a fissure that is far and away too deep for us to completely repair.  No matter how this all shakes out, there are going to be real scars.

There’s even a third idea that completely flabbergasts not only me but also, undoubtedly, millions of everyday Americans nation-wide: what is it that these people don’t understand about the fact  that there is simply no money?  Should we disband the entire military and leave ourselves defenseless to global lunatics?

I’m also forced to wonder about the manner in which these events are going to affect two other projects: the construction of the Freedom Tower and the Ground Zero Mosque.  By all accounts, the Freedom Tower currently under construction by unionized labor is and will be a fantastic sight to see; on the other hand, until the 17th, I would’ve gone to any casino in the country and bet everything I own that those trying desperately to have the Mosque constructed would never, ever have a scintilla of a chance of getting unionized American labor to work on that project.  After watching the clips of the Wisconsin events, noting the degree of solidarity shared amongst not only the teachers but also the many other state and local municipalities, I couldn’t help but wonder how long it might be until union laborers across the country either feel compelled to support or begin to feel sympathy for their brethren.  Further, how long might it be until they’re potentially threatened with their livelihood, or worse?  Is it possible that unionized workers might refuse to continue working on the Freedom Tower and to uniformly agree to construct the Mosque?  Either decision would be a flat-faced decision to turn one’s back on his or her country.

However these events unfold, we are quickly approaching a time when those in the lower echelons of their respective unions are going to have to make what may well be literal, life-altering decisions, decisions that simply come down to this:

Do I want to do what’s good for my union or what’s right for my country and my children?

I’m not sure I want to know their answers.

Comments

1. Boston Blackie says:

I think Gov. Walker should pull a Reagan, go right to the people. He should speak directly to the citizens of WI and tell them to contact their reps at the state level. The people have spoken and the unions and democRATS are holding the state hostage. He should also plead with them to contact the WH and tell Obeyme to stay out of their affairs and get his own house in order.
    Well done, John.

2. Randy Wills says:

When the President aids and abets the attempt at mob rule, as he has done in the case of the Wisconsin “demonstrations”, I believe the line has been crossed from which there is no retreat.

It will come down to a loosely organized, non-union, patriotic, citizens to repulse the organized intent to destroy a civil society in which individuals do what is right rather than what their organizers tell them to do. I only hope that the “loosely organized citizenry” is up to the job, because the battle won’t be for the faint-hearted.

Randy

3. graypanther says:

Well, John, I’ve been following this situation with some fascination too, and I think I can answer three of your questions, unpalatable as my answers may be.

are there actually people around the country that believe that what the Democrats did – run away – was the right thing to do?

Emphatically so. For example, trolling the net I found this:

“Wisconsin’s Tea Party Governor, Scott Walker, is leading a brazen assault on state employees and workers’ rights, using a budget deficit — created by his own corporate tax cuts — as the excuse.

We must fight this! Tens of thousands of Wisconsinites have been protesting at the state capitol. We stand in solidarity with them and the working people who are under attack. We also stand in solidarity with Wisconsin’s Democratic state senators, who have left the state in order to prevent the Republican majority in the legislature from ramming the governor’s proposal through.” (Italics and bold in original.)

what is it that these people don’t understand about the fact that there is simply no money?

You look at the stories in the MSM about “the top 3% of the population has 50% of the assets,” whatever, there are all kinds of numbers flying around, and the answer becomes “What do you mean no money, there’s plenty of money, but the CEOs and stockbrokers are taking it all – and it doesn’t belong to them.”

I will admit up front that, as a holder of an advanced degree and a former union member, I may be biased here. I can’t help but remember the old adage, “if you’re a Republican you’re in the pocket of the corporations, if you’re a Democrat you’re in the pocket of the unions, and if you’re neither, you’ll never have the money to get elected.” The problem with your button graphic, clever as it is, is that it would be just as easy – and just as inconclusive – to make one that said “Danger: Uneducated Corporate Shill.” Because again there’s a countervailing question, which is “If I do what my corporation asks of me, am I doing the right thing for my country and my children?” And unfortunately, with the national mind still holding resonances of movies like Erin Brockovich and Silkwood, that can be a difficult question to answer.

I’m with ya, Randy

Anybody remember Rix who used to comment in here? I’d love his take on the Middle East developments. Looks like it’s coming here in it’s own sort of way.

6. Nicely done, John. A nice respite from study.

I added a link to a few photos that the media, busy portraying this as you said, probably won’t get to.

See everyone in a few days.

Jeff

We’ve already spent ourselves into oblivion, why not continue on into oblivion squared? It’s only funny money. [These people just don't get it.]

8. Dee says:

Good article, John. I am watching to see what happens, not only in Wisconsin, but what will the other states do. I don’t see how any of the states can continue paying these salaries and the very generous benefits. I have friends who are retired teachers and they are making more now, by collecting 85% of their salary and social security, then when they were working. They had hundreds of sick days banked and for each day the school district paid 1 month of their health insurance. The one friend had enough days to cover 8 years of health insurance! I’ve seen teachers strike over a request to work an additional 15 minutes per day. We who worked in the private sector have nothing compared to that. One teacher complained to me that “it is only a 9 months a year job”. I pointed out that it has been that way for years and that she was aware of that when she went into teaching.
    The steelworkers in Pittsburgh priced themselves out of the market. A family member, who was a steelworker, had 6 months of vacation per year! The teachers hold our children hostage in bargaining for benefits. It is almost impossible to fire a teacher, especially once they have tenure.
    Yes, there are many very good teachers who go above and beyond to help the students and yes, unions are necessary to keep safe working conditions in industries such as mining, but the taxpayers cannot keep contributing to these generous plans while trying to care for their own families while the union members are insulted when asked to contribute to their own plans. Something has to give.
    I also agree with Randy, that BO should let the state work this out. He is so quick to defend those who have contributed to his career. I only hope that our country can survive the next 2 years.

Looking forward to a future appearance by Obama, aboard the USS Karl Marx (shadowed by the USS Cloward and USS Piven) and seeing his MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner prominently displayed behind him.

10. nana3 says:

Great article, John. As Dee has illustrated, most union members feel entitled to ALL their demands and they focus more on what THEY want rather than their JOBS. Our children are not getting the best education even though the teachers have all these benefits. Many good teachers and good public employees have let themselves become puppets of the union bosses who have convinced them that they deserve EVERYTHING! Obama is using them as stooges to insure he is re-elected. The PEOPLE voted for this governor and the state is BROKE so what the governor is asking of them is not as drastic as not having a job. What an example for our children: these protestors are trashing the grounds, getting fake medical excuses for calling in sick and involving students who don’t even understand that THEY are the ones who will suffer in the future. The Muslims are planning a march at the WH…I wonder if Barack will come out and greet them and finally show his true colors (not red, white and blue). As Randy has said, there will be many battles ahead and they will not be for the faint of heart…we need more governors like Gov. Walker who will actually LEAD. Obama should take note but of course he was an ‘organizer’ not a leader.

11. SECNAV Van Jones says:

3:05 Three ships built with ‘borrowed’ Red Chinese dollars.

12. As a non-union teacher, I’m ashamed to share the same profession as these nuts. I am always grateful for my job, a salary, and the benefits that come with it. I know many truly wonderful teachers who put in so much time and energy into their profession; unfortunately I also know many like these greedy entitlement-hungry ruffians who gripe over a few percentage points. The vast majority of these folks have no concept of economics, and that a $3.6 billion deficit means there is NO MONEY. (Do they want to turn out like Greece?!)

I for one would not be sad if unions just went away. I have never been a member, nor will I ever be. They protect the weak, support the PC, and use their members like puppets.

13. whats_up says:

“The first is simply a question: weren’t these officials elected by the people of Wisconsin? I ask this merely because Liberals, apparently, always claim that they’re “for the people”. If that’s true, then why don’t they acknowledge the will of the people?”

My answer to this John would be: Did Conservatives acknowledge the will of the people in 08? Of course they didnt, they worked at every turn to fight “the will of the people”. I say this sarcastically because of course they didnt. So now you want to try and claim some moral high ground when the same is done to you. Spare me your pity.

14. John Feeny says:

What’s Up -
    Get back to me when Republicans run away.

USA….. Union Sanctioned Anarchy

16. Animal House says:

WUSSconsin is having trouble dealing with fiscal realities.

17. Dee says:

I heard a statement from one of the teacher protesters in Wisonsin today on the radio. His comment was $50,000 per year was not very much to “babysit somebody else’s rugrats!” That comment alone tells me he should not be a teacher and it would be interesting as to why he went into the profession. I was taken aback when I heard him say that.

18. whats_up says:

@ John:
    Whats_up
    Get back to me when Republicans run away.

John it doesnt matter the vehicle, either running away or sabotaging and delaying, outright non-governing. Conservative have engaged in this over the last two to four years. You didnt except the “will of the people”, why should Liberals now do so?

19. John Feeny says:

What’s Up:
    You need to look in the mirror and say these things with a straight face. You really do. You also need to deal with the “new normal”, as your fearless leader is wont to say – conservatives are done backing down, being bullied by PC, and done apologizing. Get used to it.

6:42 Sad, huh Dee? I worked with many computer systems developers that could code software in eight different computer languages that didn’t make that much. Many teachers now are Al Gore disciples and not much more.

21. L. Banks says:

Thank you again for a very thoughtful and well written article. The sad fact is Wisconsin is only the linchpin. If everyone is going to have to tighten their belts, why wouldn’t the unions do their parts too. Instead they want more. They are pawns for those who want to break this country and take over and make everyone have nothing. Wisconsin has to do something. Even our own President will not do what it takes to get the economy under control. This is an exerpt from the National Inflation Institute:

“Earlier this week, President Obama released the White House’s budget proposal for fiscal year 2012 along with their budget projections for the following 10 years. The White House projects a record budget deficit in 2011 of $1.645 trillion, but for the deficit to be reduced to $1.101 trillion in 2012, $768 billion in 2013, $645 billion in 2014, and a low of $607 billion in 2015, before rising back up to $774 billion in 2021.

In our opinion, the White House will be right about the U.S. having a record budget deficit in 2011. Unfortunately, we believe this is the only thing they will be right about. Any proposed spending cuts coming out of Washington today are so small that they are a waste of time even discussing. The truth is, the total cost of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other mandatory programs alone will be $2.2 trillion in 2011. Then when you add in the projected $205 billion in interest payments on our national debt in 2011, we will have a budget deficit of $235 billion right there without including any of the government’s $891 billion in security and $496 billion in non-security discretionary spending.

Obama’s proposed freeze on non-security discretionary spending will only save $406 billion over the next 10 years, which is absolutely nothing. If Obama didn’t just freeze discretionary spending, but he cut all discretionary spending down to zero, we would still have a budget deficit. Nobody in the mainstream media is educating the American public about just how dire our country’s fiscal situation is….

In early 2008, the Bush Administration was projecting the U.S. budget deficit to decline to $160 billion in 2010, $96 billion in 2011, and for the U.S. to have a $48 billion surplus in 2012. Look how easily a $96 billion projected deficit turned into a $1.645 trillion deficit, 17 times higher than projected. It is nearly impossible to reduce budget deficits once they begin spiraling out of control, unless the government acted to dramatically slash spending by 50% or more in all areas of the budget including the so-called untouchable areas like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Obama pledged while running for President to cut the budget deficit in half during his first term, but it has so far increased by 262%. If we have just a few more years of trillion dollar plus budget deficits, interest payments on our national debt will begin to approach half of U.S. government tax receipts and at that point, hyperinflation will be all but guaranteed.”

It seems we are all in this together, we either do our parts voluntarily or we will be forced to do it. If this happens we will see riots and more in this country.

22. whats_up says:

@John,

Remember my friend that Liberals will be back in power. What goes around comes around.

23. Boston Blackie says:

I know I am off subject here but…..
    Why was Jeff up at 3:10 am on day one of his bar exam editing comments !?!

24. John Feeny says:

What’s Up:
    Perhaps – but not today.

And I feel very, very confident when I say that consequent to what your party tried to do to this country and its people over the course of the past two-plus years, methinks you’ll never have quite the same opportunity again. An entire generation of people have awakened and re-educated themselves on what it means to be a free individual. If we can’t get Republicans to do what needs to be done, we’ll either find a party that will or we’ll do it ourselves. Count on it.

25. whats_up says:

@ John Feeny,

Ya, I know, I heard this after Carter left office, heard it after Clinton left office, seems I hear this same refrain everytime Conservatives and Republicans get back in power, and yet the same result happens, like clockwork they overeach and are voted out. Ironically I say the same thing to my liberal friends when they make the same claims. Forgive me if I dont believe you either.

26. mahon says:

This is coup d`état,the democratic party in Wisconsin do not recognize, do not respect the will of people.
    Unions , are behaving like mafious sects, not only in USA, but in Europe too.
    They have become an apparatchik, they fighting in Wisconsin, really not for the workers but for the members of the clan that are seeing how their luxurious benefits are going to be cut.
    If justice is just, we do not need these unions.
    Something else, who are these teachers unions leaders? who coordinates them?, when this web started to be wove?, Has this anything to do with indoctrinations????

Oorah!, Feeny.

1:38 Liberals are extinct, hijacked by progressivism. You guys blew it.

29. Gail B. says:

@Whats_Up ~

Although I can pretty much hold my own in a debate (or argument), I would not want to go up against Jeff Schreiber, John Feeny, or (or any of Jeff’s other brilliant writers).

Any conservative will tell you that we are so weary of the Leftists’ lies, bullying, in-your-face attitude, and name calling that you have lost your effectiveness. There are two reasons for your losing your effectiveness.

(1) America WOKE UP; and
    (2) We’ve learned to expect no better from your kind.

“Anonymous” said it very well –
    (February 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm)
    “Liberals are extinct, hijacked by progressivism. You guys blew it.”

Conservatives are compassionate, but conservatives are also fiscally responsible. Unions in government are not for the people; unions in government are all about MONEY. Don’t forget –”The love of money is the root of all evil.”

If those Wisconsin teachers actually EARNED what they make, the graduation rate from Wisconsin’s high schools would be 100 percent.

30. Gail B. says:

@Boston Blackie says:
    February 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm
    I know I am off subject here but…..
    Why was Jeff up at 3:10 am on day one of his bar exam editing comments !?!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Probably getting a fresh cup of coffee and taking a break from studying. I received an email from him stating that he got no sleep the night before his last exam day. Keep him in our prayers! He won’t know until late April, he said, if he passed it or not. It was really good to hear from him–whether by email or comment here!

31. Gail B. says:

@Anonymous says:
    February 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~“`
    I’ll send him your comment and link to this story.

32. whats_up says:

@ Gail,

Gail,

Wisconsin teachers. A grovel ready project.

>> Anybody remember Rix who used to comment in here? I’d love his take on the
    >> Middle East developments. Looks like it’s coming here in it’s own sort of way.

There is more to the Middle East uprisings that meets the camera but you will see this angle in neither Lamestream Media nor right-wing blogs. This country is too far gone into the Dark Side of political correctness to acknowledge the reality: ruthless, tyrannical dictator Husni Mubarak and even anti-American, anti-Semite, homicidal madman Moammar Qaddafi are the GOOD guys of the Middle East.

Let’s take a look. Here is a autocratic secular regime supported by American dollars, terrorizing his country in the name of pro-Western moderation, its leader hated by his own subjects and eventually betrayed to their Islam-stoked fury by a socialist President. Doesn’t it sound familiar? I’m not talking about Egypt or Libya. History loves to repeat itself to those who refuse to learn its lessons. Is America better off with ayatollahs in Tehran? Will it be with Muslim Brotherhood dominating “elections” throughout the Middle East?

Those who believe that a popular uprising is a sign of a budding democracy should re-read history books. A liberating army or wise, benevolent leaders – never a violent street mob – has ever brought democratic changes to any society. Just look at Madison, WI.

There’s that frankness from Rix. Miss ya, bud. 10-4 on the political correctness. It is sad.

36. Gail B. says:

@whats-up
    “This might be the dumbest statement I have ever heard (well besides the one that conservatives are fisically responsible, Reagan was not fisically responsible, deficits didnt seem to matter) It is not the teachers fault, where did you ever get that idea. The biggest indicator of success or failure of the student is parents. I thought conservatives were about accountability and yet here you are giving parents a pass, pathetic.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We didn’t get in this mess until we had a Democratic Congress.
    Did you see the kind of people at the protest in Wisconsin? Those foul-mouthed assaulting bullies are their TEACHERS? And you expect students to LEARN anything in theior classrooms?

Now that we have a majority in the House and Pelosi has been stripped of her dollar-guzzling jet plane, and we have some intelligent people in the position of some degree of say-so, what are you seeing? GREEDY UNIONS rising up, and for what? Teaching conditions? Lack of educational material? Not enough books? Need for better tech for today’s students? No! MONEY FOR THE UNIONS.

Don’t talk to me about dumb statements, Whats-up. Look in the mirror.

37. Dee says:

Nice to hear from you again, Rix. Missed seeing your comments.

38. Gail B. says:

Thank you, Rix.

39. whats_up says:

@ Gail,

“There you go again.” We didn’t get in this mess until we had a Democratic Congress.

Typical conservative answer, its all the liberals fault. Can you not accept the fact that conservatives are as much to blame as liberals for the mess we find ourselves in right now. Incredible.

40. Dean says:

I am an educator in the public schools of Texas. Therefore, thanks to the individual nature of this state’s founders and those who followed them, we are basically a NON-union state. I guess you could call us a “right to work” state. Before I would join a union, or have my earnings forcefully taken from me and placed in a union treasury, I would quit being a teacher. Forced union membership is despotic and has NO place in this supposedly FREE coutnry. I have no problem with private sector employees VOLUNTARILY organizing if they truly do it themselves – with NO intervention in the process by Union ORGANIZERS – and get the votes needed to make it so. I see NO legitimate reason for public sector employees to ever be allowed to UNIONIZE. What I am perceiving from all the Wisconsin goings-on is a citizenry that has finally awakened and elected a Governor and Legislators who appear ready to DO something about its problems. Shame on the “missing” legislators for NOT attending to the duties they were elected to perform. BTW – has anyone noticed what’s happening in Ohio?

Trackbacks