Bush Lied, and People Died?

Human Events: Media Slow to Show WikiLeaks Justified Iraq War

While the media have been quick to run with WikiLeaks’ U.S. State Department cable releases to undermine Washington’s efforts to effect stability in unstable parts of the world, it is slow, if not silent, in giving credit where credit is due. Although other credible sources confirmed it before WikiLeaks did, in receiving similar disinterested responses from the media, it should be clear now that President Bush’s concerns about Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction (WMD) program were well-founded.

Over the holidays and before becoming mired nightly in Bar Study Part Deux, I began reading former President George W. Bush’s memoirs, Decision Points.  While I am only about three-quarters of the way through the book (and likely will remain as such until after the Bar Exam at the end of February), the way in which the book is structured provides for a topical, rather than chronological, look at Bush’s controversial presidency.

(All in all, the book is fantastic.  I certainly do not agree with all of the decisions the former president made, but his descriptions of his thought process behind each decision, though at times seemingly defensive, enhance the respect I have for the man.  I’ll try to provide a review at a later time.)

I stopped reading for pleasure a few nights ago in the middle of his analysis of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.  The chapter before, however, was all about Iraq, and the linked piece from Human Events reinforces what President Bush reminded readers of in his book — nearly the entire world, including the now vehemently anti-war Democrats in Congress, supported President Bush in his decision to commence operations in Iraq.  Save for Russia and a few others concerned about energy-related ties with Saddam’s Iraq, the intelligence that had been coming out of the region was enough to convince much of the world that Saddam Hussein had violated his last UN resolution and must be stopped.

While even George W. Bush admits in his book that much of the intelligence, including much of the intelligence expressed by Gen. Colin Powell to the United Nations, turned out to be false, it goes without saying that the entire world–including President Bush–was going on the same data.  It also goes without saying that the world is a better place without Saddam Hussein, and for all the problems still occurring in Iraq, the world is a better place for having a new Iraq as a focal point in an otherwise tumultuous region.

Anyway, read the linked article, and pick up Bush’s book if you get the chance.  And don’t expect a review here for a while — I have my work cut out for me in terms of studying, so what little time I have here at America’s Right needs to be focused on current events.

Comments

Barry Soetoro lied, and Occidental records they now hide.

2. Daniel B says:

I’ve got an (autographed) copy on my bedstand to read, soon as I can get a chance. Thanks for the reminder.

Apropos: good luck with the bar. It’s a beast, but it’ll be over soon, and worth the effort. (PS: did you hear there is talk about moving to uniform bar exam, soon?)

3. Gail B. says:

Sarah received a copy for Christmas, and she’s almost finished it. She said it was a very interesting read and was enjoying getting to understand a lot of things. I will read it after she finishes.

Jeff, I just heard from someone who hasn’t posted here in a while. He said his brother-in-law just passed the bar exam and that it was a “beast.” He wishes you well on your next attempt and hopes you pass it. He spoke well of you, by the way.

4. Brad Fregger says:

Thanks for the fill in, I was unaware of the support that the wikilinks data gave to the president’s decisions. Although, I’m not the least bit surprised that the mass media is conveniently overlooking this development.

5. I enjoyed his memoir and gained greater respect for W. One thing that has always impressed me is he will never trash anyone (even if they deserve it!) I found it interesting to be walked through his thought process…..and I liked the personal tidbits he threw in along the way.

Does not surprise me one bit that the media has not or will not vindicate Bush. They will always suffer from BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome).

6. LD Jackson says:

I have been wanting to pick up Decision Points, but haven’t had the chance. As you have stated, I certainly didn’t agree with everything George W. Bush did while he was President, but I have always felt he received a bad rap for Iraq. A scapegoat was needed and Bush seemed to fit the bill for the Democrats and anyone else who opposed the war.

7. Gail B. says:

LD, just ask Obama and every other Progressive–EVERYTHING is Bush’s fault!

8. Gail B. says:

On a side note–I follow Rasmussen’s Daily Presidential Tracking Poll. Anyone else find it odd that, the more the 112th Republicans do to undo the damage Obama’s regime did in the 111th, the better Obama’s ratings are? Weird!!!

Trackbacks