2/3 Support Much of Tax Deal

Gallup: Americans Support Two Major Elements of Tax Compromise

Two major elements included in the tax agreement reached Monday between President Barack Obama and Republican leaders in Congress meet with broad public support. Two-thirds of Americans (66%) favor extending the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for all Americans for two years, and an identical number support extending unemployment benefits for the long-term unemployed.

According to Gallup polling conducted Dec. 3-6, the slight majority of Democrats, as well as most independents and Republicans, would vote for a two-year extension of the tax cuts passed in 2001 and 2003.

This differs slightly from a November Gallup poll giving Americans three options for extending the Bush tax cuts. That poll found 40% in favor of extending the tax cuts for all Americans, 44% in favor of extending them with limits on tax breaks for the wealthy, and 13% in favor of letting the tax breaks expire altogether. Nevertheless, the results of the new question suggest that, while the compromise position on taxes may not be their ideal, most Americans would support congressional passage of it.

In terms of extending unemployment benefits for the long-term unemployed, more rank-and-file Republicans say they would vote against this than for it; however, the vast majority of independents and Democrats are in favor.

Interesting.  You know how I feel about it.

Comments

1. Randy Wills says:

How is it that one step forward and one step backward represents “progress” towards economic sanity? It sounds to me more like the “new normal” that we’re supposed to get used to.

Can anyone in D.C. say “unsustainable” with conviction? I would suggest that every politician have a picture of his or her children and/or grandchildren in front of them when it comes to casting a vote.

Randy

Tax rates are a smoke screen for the elephant in the room, spending.

3. Gail B. says:

Did you see Keith Olbermann’s rant about Obama? Beck has a video of it over at The Blaze…http://www.theblaze.com/stories/olbermann-lashes-out-at-obama-with-nazi-era-reference/

* The size of the government has grown beyond obesity.

* The 1,200 National Guard troops deployed to the US/Mexico border are being REMOVED in February; Arizona will keep theirs and get a few of the others, while the rest go home. Arizone will be defenseless, though, in September 2011, when the money runs out.

* Georgia has more illegal aliens than Arizona partly because of the drug cartels distribution cells in Georgia that “serve” the Southeast from Texas eastward.

* And, Obama is maaaaaaad at his base for criticizing him! If he had not run the debt up into orbit to spread the “wealth” to pay his political obligations, we probably would not be in the mess we are in now.

What infuriates me is when I hear a Progressive say, “We’re doing what we feel is best for the American people.” They are not THERE to do what they think best; they are THERE because they are SUPPOSED to be REPRESENTING the American people. WE the PEOPLE do ***not*** want Socialists and Marxists doing our thinking for us!

Not all of the Stimulus money has been spent. Why not repeal those obligations and downsize the government to what it was, say, 50 years ago and get rid of the overreaching czars, departments, and regulatory agencies? Instead, support our military, rebuild our defense, and secure our borders. Oh, GRRRRRR!

4. Sam says:

Gail, I hope you have your nitro close by. Socialism is gonna be the early death of all of us.

5. Dean says:

I don’t know where the 2/3 comes from, but certainly not from my part of Texas (the southern high plains to the northern panhandle border). The people her think that both the Dems and Reps settled for something much worse than second best. The rich can afford the higher taxes and the lazy need to get off their dead butts and get a job (they are available – just check out the Want Ads of any decent sized city and you will see many decent jobs going unfilled). I am beginning to feel very sorry that I voted for Republicans last month as they now sound and act just like the Democrats did 2 years ago. Who says we have to settle for the second best that we are getting from both parties? I am so fed up with the “me first” and “I want mine” attitudes of all the elected politicians in, and coming to D.C., (and that includes the Republicans and Tea Party members) that I am tempted to never vote again. I guess you can sign me as
    Disappointed-Discouraged-Dejected-Disgruntled-Disgusted with all of them.

6. John Buyon says:

yes lets give away billions in tax cuts to the top .5 % of the population and reward them for crashing our economy. wasting $ 700 B over 10 years

and lets f**k up the capitalist system by making sure wages don’t fall enough for employment to resume.

compromise Washington style.

1:15 yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Are all Canadians this thick?

Get real, get fair…….
    The top-earning 5 percent of taxpayers (AGI over $159,619), however, still paid far more than the bottom 95 percent. The top 5 percent earned 34.7 percent of the nation’s adjusted gross income, but paid approximately 58.7 percent of federal individual income taxes.

Like I have always said, you would take all their money, if you could….. and still need more for things such as your turtle tunnels. And the hypocrisy of you lib, progressive, socialist tax-dodgers is laughable.

8. John Buyon says:

the top 5% benefit MORE from this great nation called the United States of America. from its superb infrastructure, from its well educated workers, from its large market of middle class consumers, from its relatively low taxes, from its overabundance of natural resources and from the excellent military that defends their nation and their businesses.

explain to me again why those who benefit most shouldn’t pay more?

9. Communism sucks says:

When did 39% become considered a ‘relative;y low’ percentage of anything?
    In my book, thats almost half.