Top 10 Crazy Things Progressives Say About the End of Civilization As We Know It

Recently, over at The Huffington Post, Bill Scher wrote a column titled “Top Ten Crazy Things Conservatives Say: Global Warming Edition.” I expected to see some pretty ridiculous comments chosen to make us conservatives look pretty stupid. Instead, the majority of the comments were right on the money — which, I guess, shows how ignorant progressives are on the subject.

In addition, I’ve just seen Bjorn Lomborg’s documentary, Cool It, and I’ve been reminded of potential danger the global warming fanatics are to the economic health of our civilization and the ridiculousness of their pronouncements. For example, below find a few bits and pieces by Lomborg that are reflective of the concepts presented in the documentary.

When it comes to global warming, extreme scare stories abound. Al Gore, for example, famously claimed that a whopping six meters of sea-level rise would flood major cities around the world. Gore’s scientific adviser, Jim Hansen from NASA, has even topped his protege by suggesting that there will eventually be sea-level rises of 24 meters, with a six-meter rise happening just this century.  [On Saturday, on Fox News Channel's Cashin' In show, I witnessed a lefty commentator insist that storm walls are ready to be built in Washington, D.C. to protect the National Mall from rising waters.  These people are insane.  -- Jeff]

Given all the warnings, here is a slightly inconvenient truth: over the past two years, the global sea level hasn’t increased. It has slightly decreased. Since 1992, satellites orbiting the planet have measured the global sea level every 10 days with an amazing degree of accuracy – three to four millimeters (3-4mm). For two years, sea levels have declined. (All of the data can be found at sealevel.colorado.edu.)

Increasingly, alarmists claim that we should not be allowed to hear such facts. In June, Hansen proclaimed that people who spread “disinformation” about global warming – CEOs, politicians, in fact anyone who doesn’t follow Hansen’s narrow definition of the “truth” – should literally be tried for crimes against humanity.

It is depressing to see a scientist – even a highly politicized one – calling for a latter-day inquisition. Such a blatant attempt to curtail scientific inquiry and stifle free speech seems inexcusable.

And from Charles Cloover, the environmental editor at the Telegraph:

Prof Lomborg points out that over the past decades, the global polar bear population has increased dramatically from about 5,000 members in the 1960s to around 25,000 as a result of the regulation of hunting.

In addition, Kurt Loder at Reason.com stated, about the film:

“[Lomborg] allows a generous amount of screen time to Stanford University environmental biologist Stephen Schneider, one of his most hostile antagonists. (“This guy needs to be taken down,” Schneider says.) And he does this without bringing up Schneider’s role in helping to trigger the long-building backlash against ecological alarmism with his famous remark in a 1989 magazine interview that “we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have”—a foreshadowing of last year’s “Climategate” email leaks.

After reading Sher’s article on the “top ten crazy things conservatives say” and then seeing the movie Cool It, I thought it would be fun to write a companion piece about the top ten crazy things that progressives have said regarding global warming. I won’t comment on any of these “crazy” statements … I’ll leave that up to you readers. I’m sure that you can easily destroy these progressives (and socialists) with your insightful comments.

#10

“The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I’m not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm tree.”

– Lenny Henry, English actor, writer, and comedian

#9

“I want to testify today about what I believe is a planetary emergency – a crisis that threatens the survival of our civilization and the habitability of the Earth.”

– Al Gore, former vice president of the United States of America

#8

“Global warming is causing significant harm to California’s environment, economy, agriculture and public health. It is time to hold these companies responsible for their contribution to this crisis.”

– Bill Lockyer, Attorney General for California

#7

“As best as can be determined, the world is now warmer than it has been at any point in the last two millennia, and, if current trends continue, by the end of the century it will likely be hotter than at any point in the last two million years.”

– American journalist and author, Elizabeth Kolbert

#6

“We simply must do everything we can in our power to slow down global warming before it is too late. The science is clear. The global warming debate is over.”

– Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California

#5

“Today we’re seeing that climate change is … about the chain of natural catastrophes and devastating weather patterns that global warming is beginning to set off around the world … the frequency and intensity of which are breaking records thousands of years old.”

– Barack Obama, President of the United States

#4

“Two thousand scientists, in a hundred countries, engaged in the most elaborate, well organized scientific collaboration in the history of humankind, have produced long-since a consensus that we will face a string of terrible catastrophes unless we act to prepare ourselves and deal with the underlying causes of global warming.”

– Al Gore, former vice president of the United States of America

#3

“The answer to global warming is in the abolition of private property and production for human need. A socialist world would place an enormous priority on alternative energy sources. This is what ecologically-minded socialists have been exploring for quite some time now.”

– Louis Proyect, moderator of the Marxmail discussion and The Unrepentant Marxist blog

#2

“Global warming has melted the polar ice caps, raised the levels of the oceans and flooded the earth’s great cities. Despite its evident prosperity, New Jersey is scarcely Utopia.”

– Godfried Maria Jules Danneels, Belgian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church

#1

“I’d say the chances are about 50-50 that humanity will be extinct or nearly extinct within 50 years. Weapons of mass destruction, disease, I mean this global warming is scaring the living daylights out of me.”

– Ted Turner, Founder of CNN

Comments

1. Stupid is as stupid believes says:

Lots of educated suckers. Glad I chose a career over academia.

2. This picture and story,really crack me up !
    For all “ALBERT GORE”‘s ranting and raving about “GLOBAL WARMING”,this great
    picture is so perfect !!!!!
    I’d say he’s really adding to the heat supposedly destroying
    “OUR VERY PLANET EARTH”
    CONGRATULATIONS, TO WHOMEVER THOUGHT OF THIS PICTURE—
    “COULDN’T BE MORE PERFECT AND LAUGHABLE”!!!!!!!!!

3. “CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS”—-WAS ADORABLE. IT IS LATE BUT I STILL ENJOYED IT.
    DO YOU HAVE “CHILDREN” ? EVERYBODY LOVES “CHARLIE BROWN’,EVEN US
    “BABY BOOMERS” LIKE ME.
    “THANKS ALOT IT WAS “ENJOYABLE”—-”KEEP DIFFERENT ONES FORM OTHER CHRISTMAS SHOWS, IF YOU CAN !!!!!!!
    TAKE CARE,JEFF–HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

4. John Feeny says:

After the Allies defeated the Nazis in WWII, one of the things that Patton supposedly wanted to do was to keep many of the Nazi officials (non-military ones) in their civil positions. Using practical logic, he smartly pointed out, “they’re the ones that make the trains run.” He was, however, overruled.

Well, it appears that that Nazi train has had quite a few people jump aboard, with the destination being the land of easy, no-work wealth. They’ve found this ideology quite appealing. PT Barnum is in driving that train, and the all the young “liberals” who have fallen for the words from the false prophets look even dopier for having been used for the past two generations.

5. Gail B. says:

@ the first paragraph of first grey box:

” [On Saturday, on Fox News Channel's Cashin' In show, I witnessed a lefty commentator insist that storm walls are ready to be built in Washington, D.C. to protect the National Mall from rising waters. These people are insane. -- Jeff]”

After a bit of thought re your commenmt, I began to wonder what the real purpose of the “storm walls” would be: Protection against rising water or an enraged citizenry?!

Let me throw this in while I’m at it — They are negotiating on START and the DREAM Act. The Dems will forfeit one to get the other. Where is representation of the PEOPLE? Democrats, can you hear us now? (Evidently not!)

Brad, let me finish reading your piece, and I’ll be back. My coffee hasn’t kicked in yet.

6. Gail B. says:

For #10, on through to include #1, my comment is the same — unprintable, but here’s a hint: BS!

7. John Buyon says:

Didn’t Jesus say something about humans being the caretakers of the earth?
    I find christian conservatives to be more ridiculous by the day…

8. Aw shucks, Canucks. says:

Canadian playing the Jesus card.
    You can love the earth without all the politics, and control freaking.

Jesus REALLY frowns on sexually assaulting your masseuse. (and divorce)

10. Brad Fregger says:

Don’t normally partake but I couldn’t pass up replying to John Buyon’s comment.

There is a big difference between caring about the environment and buying into the propaganda being spilled by those with strong personal agendas. Most liberals confuse the two; to their own detriment and the detriment of society. Most “deniers” I know care a lot about pollution, for humanities sake, while they don’t support “the sky is falling” philosophy of the fanatics.

By the way, the strong lessons of the past have shown us that Mother Nature is much better at destroying the Earth than we will ever be; although, in the short term, we can make it somewhat difficult for ourselves.

I have taken my 14 acres, a beautiful little corner of the world, and baby it, adore it, care for it and turned it from it’s ugly mother nature state into a beautiful wildlife sanctuary and a realm of serenity. Don’t preach to me about loving this earth, canuck. You can Sieg Heil Al Gore all you want, I refuse to.

12. Randy Wills says:

To “John Buyon”:

I find your comment/question to be perfectly reasonable, and one that deserves consideration. However, I find your implication that all “conservative Christians” are hypocritical is unfair.

First, hypocrisy runs deep in all human DNA, and therefore is certainly not a distinctive of Christians, but it most definitely exists in that demographic, of which I am a part. However, that’s not the issue. The issue is the failure of all concerned to recognize that the answer in not a “what”, but rather a “Who”. Worshiping the earth as a sort of god by the radical environmentalist is as hypocritical and misguided as the professed Christian carelessly misusing it.

Randy

13. John Buyon says:

So far this is what I have gathered about the conservatives understanding of environmentalism

” yea we care about pollution, we love earth, we just don’t want to acknowledge that the problem is serious enough for us to collectively deal with it, and anyone who supports limiting toxic emissions from destroying nature is somehow a Nazi AL Gore worshiper ”

is this your position?
    because this is what it seems like from my perspective

14. Ron says:

The shrill hysteria from the left would be hilarious if it wasn’t so dangerous. Guys like John Buyon leave me agape at their lunacy.

15. Dr Strangelove says:

Brad is right, the second law of thermodynamics….. when are the progressives going to legislate that away?

Let’s just leave everything alone and entropy.

16. libdave says:

I thought this was about *science*:
    > http://voices.washingtonpost.com/post-carbon/2010/11/cancun_talks_start_with_a_call.html
    > Cancun talks start with a call to the gods
    > By Juliet Eilperin
    > With United Nations climate negotiators facing an uphill battle to advance
    > their goal of reducing emissions linked to global warming, it’s no surprise
    > that the woman steering the talks appealed to a Mayan goddess Monday.

17. 2012, lights out says:

9:07 that’s because the Mayan calendar soon ends….. and they are so not ready to meet the Creator.

18. Doug Wakeman says:

John Buyon, So far this is what I have gathered about the Marxo-Enviro-Wacko understanding of environmentalism:

Carbon Dioxide is a toxic emission and that it is destroying nature.

If not Al Gore, I don’t know what wacky thing Warmists worship, but I can say with certainty that they are Looney Tunes bonkers.

19. Gail B. says:

@John Buyon

“Didn’t Jesus say something about humans being the caretakers of the earth?
    I find christian conservatives to be more ridiculous by the day…”

John, it’s a bit difficult for Christians to be the caretakers of the earth when their government has a spending problem. Our Robin-Hood-in-Charge, Obama, thinks it’s his personal duty to rob every American to pay off his political debts. I find PROGRESSIVES to be more ridiculous by the day, and more dangerous!

20. West Wing toker says:

Obama, get back to me on carbon dioxide, AFTER… YOU quit smoking.

21. Agenda 21 says:
  22. Gail B. says:

@John Buyon–

If the liberal Progressives would stop lying and stop trying to control, conservatives would take you folks more seriously. Otherwise, from the reputation you and they have earned, it’s just easier to say NO.

We are being nudged. The TSA flap isn’t about security or safety. If this administration were interested in our safety and security, our borders would already be secure. We are being frisked, X-rayed, regulated, taxed, fee-ed, treatied against, and on and on and on, not for safety and security but for power and control. No wonder Pelosi made her comment about the constiutionality of a bill (“Are you serious?”)! The Progressives don’t care about constitutionality. They are in it for control and power.

23. None says:

I am curious what 2 year period is showing a decline in sea level. The Colorado website that you cite shows the sea level rising approximately 30 mm over the period of 2000-2010.