Rangel vs. The Royals

NewsBusters: Networks Allow a Scant Four Minutes For Rangel Conviction, Devote 120 Minutes to Royal Wedding

Tuesday’s evening news broadcasts and Wednesday’s morning shows allowed a scant four and a half minutes of coverage to the conviction of powerful Democrat Charlie Rangel over ethics charges. In comparison, these same programs devoted 121 minutes to exhaustively examining every aspect of the announcement that Prince William is getting married, a disparity of 30 to one.

NBC’s Today featured the most reporting on the British engagement, 41 minutes of coverage on Wednesday. Yet, the morning show discussed Rangel’s misdeeds for only one minute and 45 seconds. Good Morning America was even worse. Just 12 seconds on the New York politician’s failure to pay taxes and report income, but 31 minutes for the fashion, style and location of a wedding that won’t take place until 2011.

The Early Show did slightly better on the Congressman: 38 seconds for Rangel, but 35 minutes for Prince William. The breakdown of just the morning shows is 42 to 1. (108 minutes for the wedding and two and a half for Rangel.)

On Tuesday, NBC’s Nightly News was the worst offender. Seven minutes of a 30 minute show highlighted the engagement and a mere 34 seconds for the House Democrat, convicted on 11 counts.

Anybody surprised? Anybody?  *crickets*

Now, imagine the coverage if Rangel were a Republican.

Comments

But, oh what a slap on the wrist he will get.

If there are no criminal trials, this is no longer America.

2. Dean says:

I know! I was trying to view a “news” program with my last cup of coffee before leaving for the office and all I could get was the wasted air time about the coming nuptials – which care absolutely nothing about. I find coverage of anything connected to the British royals a total waste of air time. And, obliquely related, it is time for ALL US networks that provide coverage of professional golf to get rid of ALL the British Commonwealth announcers – except for the British Open coverage. Let’s use some good old down home Americans who talk to us using idiomatic American English instead of British English.

3. Gail B. says:

This is exactly the reason I subscribe to news from email alerts instead of watching television news, except for Fox News on my computer here:

Never fear, there are blogs all over the Internet by people who watch D.C. politicians except for when they enter the restroom or sleep! America’s Right is a good example!

4. Gail B. says:

Hey!!! John Boehner is third in line for the Presidency! :-)

5. The sad part is Rangel will keep his job. If he had any integrity at all, he’d step down. I won’t hold my breath.

6. Coppertone says:

It’s time for the beach chair photo again, Jeff.

21 terms…… can you spell term limits?
    Get a real job, Rangel, and be crooked there.

8. ACORN says:

12:06 Maybe he should try community organizing.

9. Dee says:

I only wish that I could get away with half of the things that elected officials get away with.
    2:52pm – you’re right. He’ll get a slap on the wrist. I just hope that it does not leave a welt! He can then sue for abuse!

How sweet, Charlie cried at his trial. That makes everything OK.

11. Our government a flippin joke says:
  12. 4x4 says:

The new Jeep Rangeler gets out of any tough spot. Unstoppable, no matter how dirty.

Paging Superman!, we really could use some of that liberty, and JUSTICE for ALL.

14. Will Rogers says:

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.

15. Everything ain't black and white says:

Todays tough question…..
    Can one be a decorated war hero, and a tax cheat?

Ben Stein did a piece on CBS’ Sunday Morning detailing Charlies heroic service in tough circumstances in Korea. He felt Charlies misgivings were minor. I’m not sure how I feel about true heroic service being a pass for someone on the Ways and Means Committee being turned the other cheek when they cheat.

If my Silver Star awarded father was being sneaky I’d have a problem with it and ask him to resign. But that’s just me.

No flat tax, no peace.
    Know flat tax, know peace.

21 terms? Come on dude, just retire. We’ve had enough.

18. Hounding house painters says:

I wonder if the IRS will just censure my brother, who is having trouble meeting his tax obligations.

Trackbacks