Political Dollars and Academia

A few minutes ago, I received the following release from the Young America’s Foundation:

Top Ten Liberal Arts Colleges Boost Dems in 2010

Professors and Staffers Employed at the Nation’s Top 10 Liberal Arts Colleges
Gave Almost Exclusively to Democrats This Election

HERNDON, VA – A new Young America’s Foundation study reveals that the nation’s top ten colleges gave donations almost exclusively to Democrats. Of all the 2010 candidate contribution dollars coming from these schools’ professors and staff, 84% of them went to Democrats.

Here is a breakdown of candidate contributions that went to Democrats for each individual school, in order of U.S. News and World Report’s rankings:

• Harvard University: 89%
  • Princeton University: 97%
  • Yale University: 73%
  • Columbia University: 86%
  • Stanford University: 86%
  • University of Pennsylvania: 93%
  • California Institute of Technology: 94%
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 70%
  • Dartmouth College: 47%
  • Duke University: 78%

Our research also looked at contributions to liberal political action committees (PACs). Of all the 2010 PAC contributions dollars coming from these schools professors and staff, 94% of them went to liberal PACs.

When totaling the dollars acquired for liberal candidates and PACs versus conservative candidates and PACs, 87% of the dollars raised went to liberal candidates and PACs. This research is evidence that college professors are still perpetuating the same ideas that have failed in the past and should be a sobering reminder of where our teachers’ loyalties rest.

Also, a previous Young America’s Foundation study has been updated: President Obama now has given 53 speeches on college and high school campuses since being sworn in, still averaging one campus speech per 12 days. The number is unprecedented, but can be partially explained by the statistics above.

Notes on research method: This research was conducted by utilizing the Federal Election Commission’s records. The list was generated by listing each school as an employer and adding up the total dollars donated to candidates and PACs.

Certainly no surprise at all, but it nonetheless reinforces the reality that in order to set the United States of America on the right path toward an across-the-board appreciation for liberty and freedom in the long term, we need to address creeping statism on a systemic level.  I was a liberal Democrat coming out of high school and college because I didn’t know any better, and with numbers like those you see above, it’s easy to understand why.

Comments

1. whats_up says:

What is your solution to your perceived problem here?

2. Jeff Schreiber says:

Perceived problem? You don’t think it’s a problem that such a vast majority of the people teaching the nation’s children have a certain singular ideological bent? If the shoe was on the other foot, would you think it was merely a “perceived” problem?

Let me know that first before we go anywhere else.

3. whats_up says:

@ Jeff,

I think its only a problem if they let their politics interfere with their teaching. I know many profs and teachers and I can tell you from my experience that the majority of them dont allow it to effect their teaching. Do some, I am sure, just as I am sure that some Conservative teachers and profs also allow their politics to interfere. Again I ask, not to be snarky, but because I am interested what would be your solution to this problem?

4. Gail B. says:

What_up, of course it interferes with their teaching! Why else do you think there are teacher unions and a U.S. Department of Education? I’ve heard from graduates who have said that their teachers/professors were teaching liberal ideology.

You don’t honestly think Obama taught his students to uphold the Constitution, do you?

Hellooo?!!!

5. Gail B. says:

Whats_up, someone gave me some information many years ago:

“Your actions are consistent with your values;
    you get what you want in the end.”

Glenn Beck tells us to question with boldness: “WHY?”

Use your head: Why would an overwhelming majority of political contributions from liberal colleges go to the liberal political party?

It wasn’t merely a coincidence, was it? No, those faculty and staff WANTED SOMETHING IN RETURN.

But then, “I’m a girl–I don’t know nothing!”

6. Gail B. says:

The problem lies not in the contributions but, at the end of the day, with the education of our children.

7. whats_up says:

@ Gail,

Well I would presume the same reason that an overwhelming majority of political contributions from conservative colleges go to the conservative political party. Probably because they agree with their political philosophy. Last time I checked this was the right of every American. Your problem with this is what?

8. whats_up says:

@Gail,

No one is forcing you or anyone else to attend a public school. Feel free to educate your children any way you want to.

9. Randy Wills says:

This is why I harp so much on demographics. And this is exactly why I believe that the window of opportunity is very narrow for those of us who still believe in the imperative of adherence to Judeo/Christian values to reverse the direction the progressives have in mind for this country.

The mind-bending of students towards the progressive agenda (secular humanistic collectivism) begins long before attending our universities. In fact, the evidence is clear; it starts as soon as a child enters the public school system.

We will reap the fruit of the seeds sown by the likes of William Ayers and Peter McLaren.

Randy

10. Gail B. says:

Thanks, Randy.

@Whats_up

I’ve looked all over the release that Jeff posted, and NOWHERE did I see a “problem” identified.

“Top Ten Liberal Arts Colleges Boost Dems in 2010″ is the title of the REPORT.

“Professors and Staffers Employed at the Nation’s Top 10 Liberal Arts Colleges
    Gave Almost Exclusively to Democrats This Election” is the subtitle of the REPORT.

There is a difference between a PROBLEM and a REPORT.

As for feeling free to attend private schools, it is OUR tax money that PAYS for the schools for WE THE PEOPLE. Schools should be on the local and state level, not federal. Too much politics involved.

Read Randy’s comment again (and again) until you understand.

And, ditto Jeff’s comment to you.

11. Gail B. says:

Hold it!!!

We’re here to comment on Jeff’s post. Whats_up gives a typical left-wing DIVERSION, and (again) we spend all our time and thought to what he’s saying, instead of the topic.

12. whats_up says:

@Gail,

I have no problem with schools being given back to the state level. None at all. However you seem to think this is a problem (with profs giving money), everything that you have written here shows that you have a problem with these profs giving money, otherwise why bring it up in the first place? Also private schools are just that private. Public schools are where your money goes and you have every right to try and get your local school board to change policy, just as I have every right to argue against your ideas. It happens every day in the US, look no farther than Texas or Kansas to see the battles.

13. Gail B. says:

I do not have a problem with professors and staff contributing to a political campaign. It is legal. Right-wingers are legal-minded, Whats_up.

Do not put words into my mouth. Jeff gave a report. Period.

Glad you do not have a problem sith state and local school systems. I have a problem with teacher unions.

Unions have already bankrupted our auto industry. I would prefer tax moiney to go into better education, not early retirement and fat retirement benefits. I certainly have a problem with the federal salaries and pensions of union employees. And, I have a problem with being told that the stimulus money for jobs had to go to union workers.

I can’t wait for Jeff to get you started on non-profits!!!

14. John Buyon says:

Is it surprising that the most educated people in america and probably the most smartest people donate to the party with the rational ideas rooted in science, humanitarianism and secularism?

is it any wonder lazy people who wish to enrich themselves at the expense of the tax payer vote for the party of social programs?

and is it a shock to see the wealthiest people in the nation donate to the party that favors massive tax cuts for the rich?

is it a wonder that the people most deluded with childish fantasies of imaginary friends etc… vote for the party that pretends to be holier than thou?

are you amazed that the corporations that stand to profit from war, destruction, and misery donate to the party of perpetual war?

Politics is serious business, Utopianism and the hope that infallible and spotless politicians will lead us is silly. In america unfortunately the question is not D or R but which groups that own these 2 parties are less scary.

15. Randy Wills says:

Actually, John, I’m not surprised by anything that you mention because I’m not surprised by unregenerate human nature in all of its splendidly perverse manifestations.

What I am surprised by is the inability of so many “intelligent” individuals to recognize the futility of seeking “salvation” from the destructive effects of said human nature by means of government intrusion and control.

“Salvation” is an individual responsibility to God for self-governance based on His laws as personified by Jesus Christ. Nothing more, nothing less. All other paths lead to chaos, confusion, and, ultimately, collapse, which is where we’re headed.

I still challenge anyone to name one societal evil emanating from the mind of man which wouldn’t disappear completely if mankind instead chose to “have the mind of Christ” within them, as the Apostle Paul preached. Can you name one?

And can you tell me why, with such and obvious solution available to mankind, it is still dismissed out of hand by the secular humanist intelligentsia?

Randy

16. Randy Wills says:

And can you tell me why, with such an obvious solution available to mankind, it is still dismissed out of hand by the secular humanist intelligentsia?

Randy

17. Gail B. says:

@John Buyon

Good point!

18. And the beet goes on says:

1:53 Canadian philosophical ramblings.

Trackbacks