NPR Fires Juan Williams

New York Times: NPR Ends Analyst’s Contract After Comments on Muslims

NPR has terminated its contract with Juan Williams, one of its senior news analysts, after he made comments about Muslims on the Fox News Channel.

The move came after Mr. Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst, appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” on Monday. On the show, the host, Bill O’Reilly, asked him to respond to the notion that the United States was facing a “Muslim dilemma.” Mr. O’Reilly said, “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet.”

Mr. Williams said he concurred with Mr. O’Reilly.

He continued: “I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

This story exploded over Twitter as I watched the end of the Phillies-Giants game (a series which has been seriously cutting into my nighttime productivity, by the way).  Here are a few of my favorite tweets:

@ExJon If Juan Williams had said he was nervous around “tea baggers,” NPR would have given him a raise.

@DLoesch: So let me get this right. @NPR can have a bit called “Learn to Speak Teabag” and that’s OK but Juan Williams speech not?

@iowahawkblog I don’t want PBS to apologize and/or hire Juan Williams back. I want them defunded completely. Govt has no business in this business.

@Readthe10th Funny, it’s the conservatives who are coming to Juan Williams defense. #tolerance #firstamendment

@glenasbury: Juan Williams had been an NPR analyst since 1999. Axed over ONE candid statement. But *conservatives* are intolerant.

When it comes to the subject matter, we’ve gone down this road here at America’s Right before.  As you know, I refuse to impute the murderous actions of radical Islamic terrorists to billions of mainstream Muslims across the globe, but there is no doubt whatsoever that while not every Muslim is a terrorist, the vast majority of terrorists sure seem to be Muslim.  I also have no doubt in my mind that Juan Williams is able to discern between Muslims and radical Muslims, and that any trepidations he has with regard to air travel has more to do with a realistic look at history than a bigoted look at a particular faith.

The bottom line, however, is that Juan Williams should not have been fired by NPR.  NPR, after all, did not fire Michel Martin after he linked Timothy McVeigh to Catholicism during the debate over the Ground Zero Mosque.  Why is it acceptable for agents and employees of National Public Radio to malign Christianity, but not Islam?

Furthermore, NPR should not have caved to radical leftist groups, as was pointed out by Michelle Malkin about a half-hour ago on her Web site.  As IowaHawk noted on Twitter, NPR is the recipient of taxpayer funds, and so long as public funds are involved that organization should not bend for any special interest group of any ideological bent.  It’s high time that NPR be defunded.

As for Mr. Williams, I join Michelle Malkin in hoping that this little escapade hastens his ideological journey.  I enjoy seeing an ideological light bulb of sorts illuminate above Mr. Williams’ head occasionally on Fox News Channel, and I hope I continue to see it happen again and again.  It’s obvious, though, that NPR just cannot stand the light.

Comments

1. John Feeny says:

HEY JUAN….DO YOU BLEEPING GET IT YET????

2. Boston Blackie says:

Proof once again that the ones that scream tolerance the loudest are ALWAYS the least tolerant. NPR has been looking for any excuse for the last few years to get rid of Williams. Let’s see if light dawns on Marblehead and Williams wakes up.

Getting a pink slip, from the reds….. it’s a blessing Juan, continue being a thinker and you will go far.

4. I remember hearing that comment on O’Reilly and thinking, “Oooh. Some people aren’t going to like that.” Didn’t think he’d get fired for it. The Oh-so-tolerant left is showing their true colors. I echo the many sentiments on de-funding NPR. All in all, Williams is better off w/o that gig.

5. whats_up says:

I respectfully disagree with you. Isnt it a conservative platform that employers can hire and fire whomever they wish for whatever reasons they have. Either you agree with that or you dont, perhaps you can clear up my confusion on this issue.

You think political correctness is bad, wait till Sharia law. Red Dawn, only they won’t be dropping in on parachutes…. they’re here already.

Juan down, two (weeks) to go.

8. Randy Wills says:

No, “whats-up”, it’s not a “conservative platform” for employers to hire and fire for “whatever reasons they have”. I respect your comments, but in this case, you’re dead wrong. As one who has done his share of both (hiring and firing), I can tell you that there are moral, ethical, and legal issues which most of us religiously adhere to.

It is called “due process” and “due cause”. The first, if violated, will get you terminated (if your are a subordinate manager) by your superiors, and the second, if violated, will land you in court and likely paying substantial damages.

Does it ever happen? Yes, of course it does, but it’s certainly not a trait of successful employers, regardless of political attachments.

Randy

9. Gail B. says:

Oh, this has escapaded into a full-blown (pick your own word — it covers acres of talking points) since Juan appeared on The Factor. My question is why did it take 36 hours for NPR to fire Williams? Somebody saw it, told
    Soros, and Soros said to get rid of him. That’s what I think, anyway.

Soros gave NPR $1.8 million , and he thinks he can run NPR — when NPR is funded with our tax dollars? I hope Congress takes that provision away from NPR, and I really hope that Juan Williams sues the dog mess out of NPR for a number of reason AND WINS!

Juan is a liberal, but he STILL has the freedom of speech that seems to be disappearing under this regime.

His column is at http://www.foxnews.com/opinion. Interesting read that gives info not focused upon elsewhere.

10. roadrunner says:

On the heals of last week’s gift to NPR by George Soros of 1.8 million, the first of the GS agenda, well paid for, was Williams. NPR screwed up big time. They denied his right to free speech under the constitution of the United States. There is little I can agree with Juan Williams on, but I will defend his right to free speech under the flag and our Constitution with each breath. It’s now time to defund the liberal NPR and stop listening to all of their programming. As far as I’m concerned, NPR just buried themselves and no longer exist! If we all just turn them off, Georgie boy will have no forum for his 1.8 million dollar investment! Let’s stick it to him!

11. No Trump says:

Getting fired is bad enough, but fired by that CEO of NPR… have you seen/heard her? Good grief, that has gotta hurt..

12. whats_up says:

@ Randy,

Thanks for the clarification. That is not something I believe in but I do have conservative friends who believe that. We live in a right to work state and they believe that they can let people go whenever they want to and in fact have.

@ Gail, Roadrunner

NPR has not trampled on Mr. Williams right to free speech, where did you get that idea. He is not in jail, no one is putting a muzzle on him. Please explain how you think that his right of free speech has been violated?

13. MJ says:

What NPR did to Juan Williams was inexcusable. But let’s get our facts straight about NPR’s “funding”. Defunding NPR, as I hear so many calling for in the wake of this incident, isn’t going to get rid of NPR. NPR receives no direct funding for operations from the federal government, as their own website shows:

40% of NPR’s funding comes from stations licensing NPR programs. This is where Federal funding comes in. Stations pay NPR to use programs like Morning Edition. The funds those stations use come from various sources as well, and generally a minority of THAT money is federal. The percentage of it for each station varies, of course, but the aggregate to NPR as a percentage of NPR finances is still less than half. For some rural stations, the percentage of their taxpayer funding is high, but for more urban stations it usually represents a small minority of the $$ used to pay NPR for programming.

I don’t have a beef with folks who think the government shouldn’t provide any funding at all, even though I may disagree. And prior to NPR’s incorporation as a non-profit 501(c)3, there was a lot of incestuous structures related to the Corp. for Public Broadcasting, etc. But now NPR does exist in a competitive marketplace – it’s just a non-profit marketplace. “NPR” is not some monolith that the federal government can wipe away – it’s an independent non-profit corporation that competes with similar entities, such as American Public Media and Public Radio International.

What NPR needs is better leadership, a better ombudsman, and probably some serious personnel house-cleaning if this is the kind of behavior the organization allows to continue.

14. Dee says:

whats_up, I also live in a state where they can fire you for no apparent reason. I had a friend who had excellent work evaluations but they needed to cut back and because he was the highest paid assistant, he was fired. He called the Labor Relations Board and they stated that if your boss doesn’t like the color of the shirt you are wearing, he can fire you. They do not have to have a reason. Very sad for good employees.

15. Gail B. says:

Whats_up, what do you think happened because he said what he did? He was fired. They could not control Juan and so they fired him 36 hours later. They said that Juan did not represent the sentiment of NPR. Whatever happened to free swpeech, open discussion, communication, and so on?

I watched Juan on The Factor tonight and thought he did an outstanding job. I’m personally glad that he was terminated at NPR because he is now beginning to sound like he’s seeing the light and laying off the Koolaid. Fox News hired him the same day NPR let him go, and he’s full time with Fox.

16. Randy Wills says:

to”whats-up”.

The problem at the base of that kind of behavior is, in my opinion, spiritual (the failure to treat others as you would like to be treated) ,and, unfortunately, can be found in every belief and political system. As a private employer and as a manager within the foremost technology company in the world, that was never tolerated. It’s not only immoral, it’s not good business.

It’s just another manifestation of fallen human nature which always tries to make one’s own interests more important than others, and often at the expense of others. It’s not only immoral, it’s not good business practice.

Randy

17. Gene says:

Unbelievable. Shame on you NPR. All those happy to see Juan go……send your hard earned dollars in to pay Vivian Schillers salary (and I hope you earned them through our system of free enterprise rather than freeloading off our overly generous gov’t) ……my bucks stop here and now. Another waste of taxpayer dollars. Stop funding and let these bigoted idiots that trash this fine man because he appears on FOX send there bucks to support this once esteemed but now politically corrupt organization.

@whats_up

“trampled” would be a relative term for someone who just lost their livelihood for expressing an opinion.

But just ask the victim, he disagrees with you.

Bear in mind also, the comments from the accused…

19. Gail B. says:

If NPR were not so hypocritical, by allowing and overlooking leftist remarks, they would appear to be a bit fair. But to fire Juan Williams because he expressed his feeling when in a certain situation? Outrageous! (I hate the keyboard of a laptop!)

Isn’t is a bit strange that, when any controversy turns up, the name “George Soros” usually comes up?

And the Nevada voting machines–guess who will be investigating the pre-marked ballots with Harry Reid’s name?– Who else but SEIU! Talk about asking a child to guard the candy jar!

Trackbacks