Crossing the Line?

CNN Politics: Reid Adds Controversial Immigration Measure to Defense Bill

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he will add the DREAM Act, a controversial immigration measure, to a defense policy bill the Senate will take up next week.

The decision means the defense bill, which often passes with bipartisan support, will be home to two major, thorny political issues – the other being the repeal of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

Reid called the DREAM Act “really important” and said it should be passed because it provides a path to citizenship for young illegal immigrants who go to college or serve in the military. DREAM is an acronym for Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act.

This is something that has been gnawing at the back of my mind for some time.

Throughout the summer, much of our attention has seemingly been occupied by the aimless accusations of racial intolerance directed at the Tea Parties, the faith with which the president identifies himself, and the construction of the mosque at Ground Zero. By now the vast majority of us have come to realize that the political far-left more often than not operates by misdirection and diversion. In that context, it strikes me that our attention has drifted from the Left’s desire to push through some type of comprehensive immigration reform.

Read carefully the line in this piece regarding citizenship being granted in return for military service. Like I often say, I can’t speak for others; this, however, and its potential, long-term ramifications has my undivided attention.

Comments

1. Boston Blackie says:

Is it just me, I can’t access the link.

2. Gail B. says:
  3. Gail B. says:

Personally, I hope that everything Obama & Co. try to do falls flat on its face! I hope that this does NOT pass, even if it means holding up defense spending, because the Dems are holding the troops’ funding “hostage” to get this immigration reform passed. You can’t call it anything but immigration reform.

Before DREAM passes, I would insist that our borders be secured in a hot New York second, ALL illegals be rounded up and shipped home, and Mexico get its drug cartels under Mexican law enforcement’s thumb.

There are just some things that are out of control. The Democratic Progressives in Congress lead the list!!!

AND, since the House has subpoena power, if the Republicans take the House this November, I am EXPECTING some paperwork to be forthcoming–if you know what I mean. And Charlie Rangel is being investigated? That’s Sunday School in comparison!

4. Jeff Schreiber says:

“Before DREAM passes, I would insist that our borders be secured in a hot New York second”

I agree. I also agree with the provision of DREAM (I guarantee you that it’s not as simple as Harry makes it sound) that allows for citizenship for those fighting for the United States of America. I believe that, if you are willing to fight and die for this country, you should be able to be a part of it.

5. Boston Blackie says:

Thanks Gail.
    I agree with Jeff, if you are willing to die for this great country then we should send you to the front of the line to become a citizen as long as you have no felony record. What we need to do is secure the borders NOW and stop these anchor babies from being automatic citizens that the country ends up supporting for decades. And why should an illegal that goes to college (usually on our dime) be given preferential treatment. Congress needs to stop attaching their pet ptojects(ala Ted Kennedy Center)to the defense budget knowing it is political death to vote against the defense.

6. Salute says:

Jeff said “I believe that, if you are willing to fight and die for this country, you should be able to be a part of it.”

Granted. If they also have respect for it’s founding and it’s core principles.

7. Gail B. says:

Y’all, I thought about that, too, but decided just to lump it all into “first things first.” Those who serve in our military deserve to be first in line for citizenship, if that’s what they want after Obama gets through with his destruction of this nation.

8. Dee says:

If the Republicans don’t vote for this, you will hear that they do not support the troups. You will never be informed of the Dream part of it. I do agree that if a soldier is willing to die for this country, then he should go to the head of the line. Can the government ever present a bill without adding other bills onto it?

9. John Buyon says:

just asking but does anyone know much about ancient history?
    citizenship for military service.
    this is very eerie

in the late roman republic when the senate couldn’t recruit enough Romans to fight in their armies, they started recruiting Gauls and Germanic’s to serve in the legions for a period of time in exchange for land and citizenship inside the borders of the empire.

well we all know what happened after that a veritable fifth wall inside the empire began to build so that when the Northern European tribes invaded Rome they had a lot of homegrown allies. this is not even taking into account the attitudes of native Italians who were hostile and violent against the new Germanic neighbors.

just wondering if anyone thinks this historical example has any relevance to this DREAM ACT

10. Royal Mount This says:

Please, just NO MORE Canadians!

11. Gail B. says:

@ Royal Mount This says:
    September 16, 2010 at 4:47 am
    Please, just NO MORE Canadians!

Please include Progressives, too.

Trackbacks