Ah, the Good Ole’ Days

Rep. Darrell Issa: Remember When?

I’m just going to include this whole thing.  If Congressman Issa’s office has a problem with me taking the entire entry rather than excerpting it, I’ll change things up, but in the meantime I thought this was terribly instructive.  Have a read.  (And thank you ahead of time for understanding, Congressman Issa).

Of the $787 billion stimulus bill, $275 billion has gone un-spent as of August 27, 2010.  Of the $512 billion of stimulus spending that has gone out, only $18.5 billion (less than 7 percent) has been paid out by the Department of Transportation – Source: Recovery.Gov

“The President today laid out a bold vision for renewing and expanding our transportation infrastructure — in a plan that combines a long-term vision for the future with new investments.  A significant portion of the new investments would be front-loaded in the first year.” — The White House, today.

Remember When?

President-Elect Obama – November 28, 2008 Press Conference: “We are going to have to make sure that we are investing in roads, bridges, other infrastructure investments that lay the groundwork for long-term economic growth. A lot of that goes through our states and our local governments. And one of the things that we’re going to also want to make sure of is that as part of our economic plan, that we are fast-tracking some of these projects.”

Speaker Nancy Pelosi – January 7, 2009 Forum on Economic Recovery: “While there are many components to this economic recovery and jobs package. Make no mistake: this is not your grandfather’s public works bill.

Associated Press – January 11, 2009: “Spend a lot or spend nothing at all, it didn’t matter, the AP analysis showed: Local unemployment rates rose and fell regardless of how much stimulus money Washington poured out for transportation, raising questions about Obama’s argument that more road money would address an “urgent need to accelerate job growth.”

President-Elect Obama – January 16, 2009 in Ohio: “We’ll put nearly 400,000 people to work by repairing our infrastructure – our crumbling roads, bridges and schools.  And we’ll build the new infrastructure we need to succeed in this new century, investing in science and technology, and laying down miles of new broadband lines so that businesses across our nation can compete with their counterparts around the world.

Vice President Biden – February 17, 2009, Signing of Stimulus: “Starting today, our administration will be working day and night to provide more aid for the unemployed, create immediate jobs building our roads and our bridges, make long-term investments in a smarter energy grid, and so much more.”

President Obama – February 17, 2009, Signing of Stimulus: ‘’Because of this investment, nearly 400,000 men and women will go to work rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, repairing our faulty dams and levees, bringing critical broadband connections to businesses and homes in nearly every community in America, upgrading mass transit, building high-speed rail lines that will improve travel and commerce throughout our nation.”

Comments

To quote Joe Wilson, “LIES”.

2. John Buyon says:

wait…

excuse me economic growth is positive now
    and so is private sector job growth…
    stop torturing the facts to validate your discarded economic philosophy.

3. Jeff Schreiber says:

John — Positive, yes. But not enough to constitute a recovery. Maybe this is new to Canada, but “growth” and “barely better than stagnation” are two different things.

4. Gail B. says:

I never saw a politician work so hard to go upstream, only to lose ground and bullheadedly keep right on making the same mistakes.

Only if you view the “mistakes” as intentional does any of this make sense. The object is to destroy the United States, in my opinion. Otherwise, The One would LISTEN to the economists and to the American People!

5. whats_up says:

John,

I am astounded as well that positive job grown is now somehow not a good thing. It makes me question what conservatives really want.

6. Jeff Schreiber says:

What’s up/John,

See, us conservatives believe in the notion of American Exceptionalism. Barely-there growth just isn’t good enough for us. We need to be outpacing the rest of the world, not catching up.

Jeff

7. Sam says:

Positive is like two inches on a honeymoon. Come on, guys!

8. Sam says:

Cloward and Piven would be disgusted with that much growth (any growth in a positive direction).

9. Gail B. says:

Jeff said, “Glad to hear that mediocre is so okay by you guys. How positively collectivist of you.”

Ouch!

Is “collectivist” the code word for “dense” now? Jeff, why don’t they GET it? Why can they not seeing the direction that the Socialists in power now are dragging this nation? I say “dragging” because We the People certainly are not going willingly!

10. Gail B. says:

“seeing”–that’s what I get for listening to Glenn Beck and typing at the same time.

11. Bob Upton says:

The Pied Pipers of the left say, “Conservatives, drink the kool-aid, follow our yellow brick road and repeat after us….

5.9% unemployment under Clinton: GOOD
    5.4% unemployment under Bush: BAD
    10% unemployment under Obama: BUSH’S FAULT (synonymous with BAD)
    Anything from Bush: BAD
    Everything from Obama: GOOD
    Repeating failed policies from world: GOOD
    Repeating proven successful policies: BAD
    Being the best: BAD
    Apologizing for ANY & EVERY success: GOOD

In summation: Right is now wrong, wrong is the new right.
    Why lead when it’s so easy to follow?
    Don’t worry about the future! We’ll take care of that.

12. Dee says:

4:21pm – funny!
    Bob Upton, good summary. I agree.
    I have a question, who is responsible for the increase in “stink bugs” in my yard this year? Bush probably but I’m not sure.

13. Gail B. says:

Bob Upton–I LIKE you!

14. Kevin says:

Everybody needs to ease up on John B. and What’s_up, they’ve obvisiously had great success with spending their way out of debt.

15. Bob Upton says:

Dee – Thank you, but I must disagree on your blaming Bush in the stinkbug issue. Don’t follow the yellow brick road! The stinkbugs are the first plague. Go immediately to the royal palace (aka White House) and demand that Barry let your people go!

Gail B. – I like you too and the chihuahua is the bomb!

16. whats_up says:

@Jeff

Then you must have been dissapointed by the Bush economic team as we havent outpaced the world in GDP growth since Clinton was in office. As a matter of fact we didnt outpace the world GDP growth but for four years of Reagan (and a couple under Carter) until Clinton.

17. Jeff Schreiber says:

I was, what’s up.

18. GDP v morals says:

12:57

Yeh, I miss those good ol days of oral sex with interns under the desk in the Oval Office.

19. I stink, therefore I am says:

Dee, are they as bad as the stinkbugs in DC?

20. Sam says:

While we are ‘Remembering when…”

I sure miss Laura Bush.

21. Dee says:

9:34- probably not. I’m afraid to squash one of these but I am hoping that I can help squash the ones in DC. Although, I am sure that if that happens, there will be a “big stink” across the US from all those still in a BO trance.

12:14,

she’d make for some very relevant “Miss me yet?” billboards also.

23. John Buyon says:

the president is Not the chief Priest of the United States
    he is not the moral leader of this nation
    better watch what some of you people say.

he is head of state, of a nation where power is extremely decentralized, all he is is basically a CEO, a glorified manager.

do you people know how much bigger the stimulus packages of the rest of the world were?

china’s package was almost as big as ours but their economy is 3 times smaller, and who avoided a severe recession/ economic contraction? CHINA
    that’s pretty much all the proof you need.
    read the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act,
    for such a bill so large to have such little waste and pet projects is amazing.
    check out the tax cuts!
    the tax credits to Businesses and families for doing things conservatives and liberals have been asking Americans to do for a long time. energy efficiency, retrofit schools
    streamline the federal government
    rebuild infrastructure

In fact I’m not scared of a GOP takeover in Nov because even the idiots in the republican party can’t possibly be so stupid as to cancel the recovery package.

11:53,

That’s why we are getting rid of Congress first in Nov. That is where every single dollar (fm) appropriated must start. THEN we will fire the CEO.

11:53, The recovery package has been spent; on votes.

26. Monsieur, roflmao says:

Fidel Castro stunned the world this week by admitting socialism had failed in Cuba. The implication of the dictator’s statement is unclear, but one thing isn’t: Castro’s sycophants have some explaining to do.

Castro, now 84 and semi-retired, made a surprisingly lucid admission about how 52 years of communist dictatorship have ruined his country. “The Cuban model doesn’t even work for us anymore,” he casually told the Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg, a reporter he summoned to Havana to tell him his thoughts.

I wish the last lady, was still The First Lady.
    Just sayin………