Turn the Page. Seriously.

Well, did you watch him?  The Guy from Chicago?  Last night, from the Oval Office, he announced … something. Not sure just what, but it was definitely more than nothing. As presidential speeches from this particular Oval Office tenant go, it was better than most in that it was merely boring and a bit meandering, except of course for the praise for the military and our veterans — you can never go wrong praising our veterans.

At least, this time, he seemed to be using only one teleprompter, with none of that Wimbledon right-left-right-left head-jerking that proves to be so effective in distracting from the meaningless words which generally come out of his mouth. But what was the point?

Ah, yes. He announced that America’s “combat mission” in Iraq was at an end. Amazing. Meanwhile, 50,000 U.S. troops still remain in Iraq, brave men and women who will be prohibited from initiating combat operations but who will, apparently, still be allowed to respond if attacked. Memo to The Guy: a prime-time, old-news declaration that the “combat mission” has ended is not the same thing as a declaration that “combat” will end.

Then, sure to never neglect an opportunity to work against the interests of the nation he leads, The Guy telegraphed some aid and comfort to al Qaeda and the Taliban: by August 2011, he told the cave-dwellers likely watching [and eagerly awaiting post-speech analysis from like-minded infidels] on MSNBC, it was likely that American troops also would be exiting Afghanistan. Today, they are no doubt dancing in the streets of Kabul and Karachi. And probably Tehran. Maybe even parts of Dearborn. Heck, anywhere that you find enemies of America, you will likely find pleasure in the wake of The Guy’s speech last night.  No word on whether there were any noise violations reported by Nancy Pelosi’s next-door neighbors.

Let us be charitable here. The speech was aimless, without a clear goal and internally inconsistent in its message. The term “feckless” comes to mind. For example, The Guy claimed that we had spent more than $1 trillion dollars on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan … without blinking an eye over the fact that the policies of his regime promise to saddle current and future generations of Americans with something like fourteen times that amount. And that doesn’t even include the economic cataclysm to be visited on them if his cap-and-trade policies, cessation of domestic oil drilling, tax increases and other radical collectivist policies take root. Curious how the sentencing of many future generations of Americans to lives as tax slaves can be squared with his assertion that we must “make sure the lives of our children are better than our own.”

Meanwhile, the FDIC announced that there are now nearly 830 banks in trouble and in danger of failing, nearly double the number on the “at risk” list just one year ago … ahem … eight months into The Guy’s term and smack dab in the middle of where his “hope and change” bromide was supposed to have turned the economy around. And yes, Virginia, the unemployment rate continues to flirt with 10 percent, fully 20 percent higher than he promised it would never go if only Congress would approve TARP One and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Finally, The Guy tried – albeit clumsily – to link the end of the combat role in Iraq with the beginning of a new era, both in that country (it is still a bit early to call it a functioning “nation”) as well as here. Somehow, he maintained, the end of our combat role there (and next year in Afghanistan … is that cheering I hear from Tora Bora?) will turn things around here. Right. Just like anyone who liked their health care plans before ObamaCare came online “could keep it and see no change.”

Far be it for me, however, to deny credit where credit is due. He did say one thing that rang stunningly true: he admitted that it is time to “turn the page.” Correct. The nation will have its first significant opportunity to turn the page on the sick Gothic melodrama his regime has brought upon us this coming November 2. The next regularly scheduled page-turning opportunity will then come on November 6, 2012.

Not a moment too soon.

Comments

There’s another Obama photo with the angel halo effect. I have to go hurl.

2. Gail B. says:

A Pepto-Bismol commercial has more valuable information in it than an Obama monologue. (Directions: Take at least one tablespoon prior to viewing Obama to prevent “hurl.”)

3. Boston Blackie says:

Hey, where is the outcry from the left about the upside down cross behind Obeyme during his speech (I only know from seeing a clip on the news earlier, that’s the most I could stomach). I would like to hear Mike Huckabee’s reaction after the flack he took during one of his ads while running for president. Remember Air America called it the “floating cross”, another reason they are in my rear view mirror.

4. whats_up says:

Rick,

It will be interesting to watch how the Republicans lead should they take the house as seems more likely. Their track record hasnt been very good and frankly I dont know that they have learned any lessons. If not I think they will be out very quickly.

5. Jeff Schreiber says:

What’s up — I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

I’m being flown up to a new media conference in a week or so, and will likely meet with a few congressional members. I’m curious to see just how much the GOP wants folks like myself to serve as watchdogs … because it cuts both ways.

@whats_up;

Knowing I have been hard on you, I must give compliments where deserved. THIS was A GOOD POST, and not just because I agree with it. I know, you don’t care of my opinion, but my hope, sincerely, is that your posts have more of this ‘style.’

Secondly, based on the current individuals and positions held by the GOP, they haven’t learned any lessons. That being said, it is my fear, this could be the ‘last great hope.’ (ironic quote on purpose)

7. John Buyon says:

@ Jeff
    I appreciate your intellectual honesty
    but what can the GOP do?
    they are more ideologically bankrupt than the democrats ( who aren’t a bastion of fresh clear thinking either)

8. Read to me says:

Turn THESE pages, a childs guide to dumb democrats.

9. Inge says:

Once again, Obama displayed what he feels towards America, the country that elected him, hoping, that he would change ‘something’- at least that was what he’d promised.
    Obama is the World Order’s frontman; his interest is not in this country, but rather to bringing down enough, as he recently reported all of us to the “Un Human Rights Organization’. His actions speak louder than words, and it is exactly that that Beck’s rally hat to happen.
    There maybe were ‘only’ 300,000 to 500,000 people there physically, but I would bet that there were many more watching it on TV, or Interent.
    Obama bares his ‘empty soul, character, and intent’, which is that of a “Non-American”, his interest lays somewhat at the UN; it would not surprise me him laying the groundwork to become the next UN-Chief, so he could be playing ‘king of the world’, something he so graves, and demonstrqated by his, and his wife’s actions.

Inge is right, I would have given my right cojone to be there at the event, but I am caring for a WWII vet father. If we had all shown up, that city would never be the same. So it’s up to Nov 2 to make it never the same.