Speech Preparation

The Washington Times: Rep. Mike Pence: Give Credit Where Credit is Due

Despite public opposition and criticism in the press, Republicans in Congress stood with our soldiers, again and again, supporting the surge and providing the resources they needed to complete the mission.

House Democrats voted 11 times to implement artificial timetables and tried repeatedly to impose unrealistic conditions on military funding that would have amounted to cutting the funds to our troops in Iraq. They were ready to forsake the fledgling security efforts of Iraq‘s own forces and abandon an infant democracy to the embrace of brutal terrorists.

As senators, Barack Obama and Joe Biden were among the voices calling for a premature withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. To make their point, Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden even voted to deny necessary funding for our troops. They also voted 10 times to impose a dangerous timetable for withdrawal that only would have increased the resolve of our enemies.

It also is important that history record that then-Sen. Obama opposed the surge strategy as soon as it was announced. He claimed that instead of reducing violence, the surge would make things worse and no amount of additional troops on the ground would “make a substantial difference.” After Mr. Bush‘s 2007 State of the Union speech, Mr. Obama told an interviewer, “I don’t think the president’s strategy is going to work.”

…The simple fact is that Mr. Reid, Mrs. Pelosi and Mr. Obama were wrong about the surge and wrong to oppose it.

Given the nature of President Obama’s speech tonight, I thought this was good reading.  Take a look for yourselves, and please do so BEFORE the speech tonight.

Comments

1. Boston Blackie says:

Funny how Obeyme has requested only fifteen minutes of airtime for this speech. That’s less time than he takes to “answer” a question at a town hall meeting.
    I still won’t be tuning in, I have paint I need to watch dry.

2. whats_up says:

I appreciate what Mr. Pence was saying. I do have trouble with those who think it was “wrong” to oppose the war. Why is it wrong to oppose killing? Why was it wrong to oppose a strategy that up until that point was “things are fine, dont worry, stay the course.” Hindsight is easy to say they were wrong, we were right. In the heat of the battle not so much. So instead of gloating, perhaps a simple nod to the service members should be in order, instead of the political pandering done by both sides on this issue. No wonder people hate politicians so much.

3. Piers says:

Will the President With No Talent interfere with tonights Americas Got Talent?
    I’d rather listen to Prince Poppycock than this clown.

4. Boston Blackie says:

BTW, can someone who actually plans on watching count for me how many times Obeyme will use “I”. He still doesn’t understand that there is no “I” in team but then again we all know he is not a team player.

5. Gail B. says:

I didn’t find this until after the fact because I was not at home and at my computer. Along with everyone else, I wondered if obama would give President Bush the credit he was due. Mike Pence answered the question of “why not” for us:

Seeing U.S. combat forces leaving with success is chiefly the result of the professionalism and sacrifices of our military in executing the surge and the Status of Forces Agreement implemented before Mr. Obama set foot in the Oval Office.

And–

6. Gail B. says:

Mike said this as additional explanation:

While Republican leaders like Rep. John A. Boehner were saying “victory is the only option,” leading voices in the Democratic Party took a starkly different approach.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said that “this war is lost,” and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asserted, “This is not the way to go. It has failed.” Both advocated a premature withdrawal and timetables that would have ensured defeat and consigned the Iraqi nation to a future in the hands of radical insurgents.
    ——————

Obama just couldn’t admit that he and his leaders were (and are) WRONG! That’s not a great track record to have with ELECTIONS just around the corner!