VIDEO: When Holding a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail

Isn’t dissent supposed to be American?  Don’t we welcome dialogue?

Well, I heard about this issue coming into work yesterday morning and, in all honesty, I’m beyond speechless.  The young man in question, Mr. Glover, is an aspiring country music artist, a Tea Party member and, if I remember correctly, an assistant football coach at a high school.  Once he had the song completed and produced, he e-mailed it to everyone on his contact list.  Lo and behold, some of the recipients were parents of several students and … well … he’s no longer a high school football coach.

Suffice it to say here–and I think Jeff could more effectively shed some light on the legal issues involved–that it seems the crux of the complaint against him is that he used his school e-mail account to send the blast out.  The “company line,” however, seems to be that the song has “racial overtones” if you can believe it.  Just as we’ve all said, once they’ve availed themselves of every possible tactic at their disposal and facing elimination, so to speak, they’ll have nothing left but the race card.

Enjoy the video.  I sure did.

FROM JEFF:

Great find, John.

As I understand it, Coach Glover wrote the song, produced the video and disseminated both outside the scope of his employment as a middle school football coach.  Furthermore, he distributed it using a personal e-mail address.  In that capacity, I don’t see anything different than if Mr. Glover worked at the checkout counter at the local Walmart so he could afford a steady stream of guitar picks and sent out the e-mail after he got home from a Saturday double-shift.

In my e-mail account dedicated to America’s Right, I receive approximately 200 e-mail messages each day, give or take.  The vast majority of them are from ordinary folks who stumbled onto a story or received a politically-charged e-mail from a friend and felt compelled to pass it along to me … and Bill O’Reilly, and Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh, and so on and so forth.  Some of these people might be truck drivers, others might be schoolteachers, and yet more might be traffic cops.  I don’t know.  They send me stuff on their own time, outside of the scope of their employment at the widget factory.

Of course, I don’t know all of the details.  I’d sure like to see the e-mail Mr. Glover sent out, and look at whether it was formatted in such a way so as to mislead folks that it was sent in his official capacity as a middle school football coach. If I were a betting man, though, I’d bet against the school in the inevitable legal action soon to commence.

Comments

1. whats_up says:

John,

I would agree that dissent is patrotic, although some of my conservative brethren have claimed that I am a traitor and should just shut up. So I guess it works both ways and that is just plain wrong.

2. John Feeny says:

What’s Up:
    I entirely disagree. I think you should speak your mind. I think we all should. That’s how problems are ultimately solved. I think the problem that those on the right have with the left, however, is that the left is famous for screaming “free speech!” when it serves their agenda; when conservatives try to speak their minds, we’re told that the internet is dangerous.

Here’s a good question for you: why is it that at Brown University and other like-minded Ivy League schools, any liberals are free to come onto campus and hold court….but when a conservative speaker comes onto campus, they are either banned, shouted down with impunity, or PHYSICALLY ATTACKED? Look it up….when the Young Republicans once spoke at Cornell,I believe(it might have been Princeton),Jim Gilchrist (a black man, no less),leader of the local chapter, was first shouted down with RACIAL EPITHETS and then violently beaten up on stage. In what sense, pray tell, does that line up with the alleged worldview of “peaceful”, “free-speaking” liberals?

I’m gonna speak my mind again, so hang on – you need to come to terms with the fact that the far left represents total government tyranny, and those who support it are just as like-minded.

Why do we always see violence at gatherings of leftist groups?
    Just like those violent, gun-totin’ teabaggers, right?

The average, everyday person who espouses to be a “liberal” has, unfortunately, been brainwashed by a nation of hippie college professors who never really wanted to work for a living, so they decided to become teachers and live the protest life with summers off. It really IS that simple. They’ve USED two generations of young, impressionable minds to further the cause of the far-left agenda, because it left them with easy, no-work, high- paying jobs.

The problem is, nobody will say it. They claim to want world peace….but they’re willing to kill people to get it. Makes sense.

I think the entire Woodstock generation should be held for crimes against humanity. Selfish little prigs.

Ok…I feel better now.

3. Kyle Hill says:

John, I am the cowriter of the song “When You’re Holding a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail.” Either Bryan or I would be happy to talk with you about this situation and give you all the details. So you know, Bryan did not use a school email account. He never even had one. The email went out from his personal computer to his personal email list.
    Feel free to contact me for more info, or if you would like to interview Bryan and/or me for your website.
    Kyle Hill

4. Patrick Henry says:

11:49….Lenin, Mao, Castro, Stalin, Il…… cut em some slack, they were/are such nice socialist ‘people’ persons.

5. Gail B. says:

John, I watched the video and went to the website, where I found contact info and pointed them to America”s Right and the piece here.

Oh, please, please do an interview! You are so talented with interviews, too!

Since Kyle Hill left a comment here, there’s no doubt that he will be returning to see what readers have to say. As for me, I think the song is brilliant, tasteful, and right-on! If it were a photo instead of music, I’d make it my computer’s wallpaper.

I’d like to know what the school has to say about it, too! We can be sure that Jeff will keep tabs on this!

6. Gail B. says:

@whats_up 11:27 am–

Have you ever considered LISTENING to what your conservative brethren are saying to you? Have you wondered WHY they are telling you that? Have you learned NOTHING here?

7. John Feeny says:

Kyle -
    I’ll certainly be in touch. Very shortly.

If I had a hammer, I’d hammer in the morning, I’d hammer in the evening, alllllll over this congress.

9. whats_up says:

@ Gail,

Gail I listen, do you? You remind me of my aunt who thinks that the earth is only 6000 years old, she wants us to read her literature and listen to her talk, but refuses to listen to us or read our literature on how that is not the case. You espouse conservative views very well, but dont seem to understand that their are two sides to every coin.

10. whats_up says:

@ John Feeny,

John I dont support the far left that are more anarchists than anything else. However they dont encompass the entire liberal movement, just as the far right doesnt represent the entire conservative movement. That doesnt mean that liberal ideas are wrong. Also liberals havent been “brainwashed” anymore than conservatives have. You might have to come to terms with the fact that not everyone thinks like you do. Their are millions of Americans that love their country and think it should be run a certain way, and they are liberal.

11. whats_up says:

@John Feeny,

Also as a side note if you dont think that teachers work, you are missing the boat.

12. John Feeny says:

What’s Up –
    I AM a teacher. Yes, I agree…there are many, many great teachers out there….but there are A LOT of union-fed, lazy, useless teachers as well, “teachers” who are protected and can essentially do as much – or as little – as they choose. Further, my comment was directed at the colleges and universities much more so than secondary education.

I work in that world, my friend…I know of what I speak.

13. Lazy congress says:

There are two sides, but don’t bother reading the bill you are passing.

14. I IV V says:

Kyle, here’s a song idea…..
    “They’ve outsourced Congress”
    In the chorus you can mention The Tides Foundation and CCX (Chicago Climate Exchange, etc)
    I can cowrite if ya like (I play guitar, bass, mandolin and ukulele).

15. whats_up says:

@ John Feeny,

As do I John, as do I. The are alot of LAZY people in any job John, thats the nature of people.

Good thing AR contributors aren’t lazy.

17. Dee says:

Love the song and think it should be played on the radio, like that will ever happen.
    whats_up, I think you should speak your mind. I enjoy and appreciate reading what you and John Buyon have to say. It usually gives me something to think about and delve further into the issue.
    John Feeny, I agree that there are many very good teachers but also those who are lazy and feel safe within the unions. It is very hared to get a public school teacher fired. They usually have to commit a sexual crime or steal something. Never does it have to do with how well they do their job. Also, whats_up is right, there are lazy people in most any job.

18. Gail B. says:

Whats_up said, You espouse conservative views very well, but dont seem to understand that their are two sides to every coin.”

Thank you very much, Whazzy! I used to be on the other side of the coin with you until I realized that the other side of the coin was trying to push socialism and Marxism. Amazing Grace! “I once was blind, but now I see.” My prayers go out to you, too.

Have a good day, Whats-up. We shall ALL be praying for you here, every time we see your comments.

19. Gail B. says:

“but refuses to listen to us or read our literature….”

Uhhh, WHAT LITERATURE, exactly, Whatsy?

That’s the nature of a government that takes care of lazy people.

21. J.B. says:

Whats-Up @ 10:34

22. Jeff Schreiber says:

“I also believe the Earth is only 6,000-10,000 years old. I am college educated and am an even minded person. I have studied the subject quite thoroughly. I don’t think you have any compelling arguments or factual articles for your position.”

What of the fossils and such that date back before then? I mean, hell, Robert Byrd was still in the Senate back then…

Oh snap, Jeff! BZINGA!
    You just topped my Lindsey Lohan joke.

24. J.B. says:

Jeff, Most dating methods ( such as carbon dating) have been proven to be vastly flawed. One explanation for the appearance of age in fossils would be the world wide flood in Noah’s time and the great pressures exerted by the weight of the water.

25. whats_up says:

@ JB,

How would you explain the existence of dinasours?

26. Jeff Schreiber says:

What’s up — how quickly you forget that Fred Flintstone had one.

5:02 Who’s hotter, Wilma or Betty?