Obama, Too Smart? Hmm…

Commentary Magazine: The Perils of Praise

To be blunt, Obama suffers from a lifetime of others excessively praising his intellect. It insulates him from ideas and facts that conflict with his pre-existing liberal rubric (so “every economist” believed his stimulus would work). It leaves him unprepared to engage in real debate with informed opponents (e.g. the health-care summit). It skews his understanding of how geopolitics works, as he imagines that his own wonderfulness can sway adversaries and override nations’ fundamental interests (the Middle East). Is he as well read as George W. Bush? As intellectually creative as Bill Clinton? As grounded in history as Harry Truman? Let’s get some perspective here.

A very short piece of writing, but I loved it.  Some might dismiss it as armchair psychiatry, but I think Jennifer Rubin is right on.  Check it out.

Comments

Obama too smart? the ultimate oxymoron

2. NOT VETTED says:

Barack Hussein Obama,
    hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmmmm

everybody is wondering about this guy, now.

3. John Buyon says:

Obama is too smart for this country.

vast swathes of America are easily manipulated either by the right or the left.

but atleast the plans the left have for america are alot more honest and moral.
    the right wing manipulates their base with useless code words like socialist progressive baby killer unamerican “big government” etc…

TOO SMART?

WASHINGTON – The deepwater drilling moratorium in the Gulf of Mexico costs at least 23,000 jobs, according to a federal document that weighed the economic impact and alternatives to the drilling ban.

I’d hate to see TOO STUPID.

5. Randy Wills says:

“John Buyon” @ 7:35 PM;

I am stunned by the arrogance of your comment. Talk about an uninformed, ideological perspective, but that’s always been the tact of the secular progressive; “I’m smart and you other people are dumb”. That doesn’t stand the test of results, John, and you know it.

Obama “too smart”? Give me a break and at the same time, give me any creditable, experiential evidence that he’s anything more than a mouthpiece. Show me the evidence, not just the “I think” or “he said”, but the hard-core record of his accomplishments as a “thinker”, not a political operative. All he has ever done is parrot the likes of James Cone, Rev. Wright, Saul Alinsky, and a host of other radicals who eschew traditional American free-market values.

And by the way, I’m still waiting for ANYONE to take me up on the challenge to name just one person of influence in Obama’s past who could realistically qualify as a person of traditional, Judeo/Christian, American values. C’mon, give me one name that can substantiated in both the public record and Obama’s writings. Unless you have avenues of legitimate research that are superior to mine, you won’t be able to do it.

Obama is truly the “post-American president”.

Randy

7:35, yawnnnnnn, yep, we can’t think for ourselves. We just don’t drink the kool-aid.

a wise man learns by the mistakes of others, and a fool by his own.

Or to put it succinctly:

The now enlightened electorate has learned by their dire mistake in Nov 2008, and Obama has yet to learn anything from his floundering.

8. Don't let the door hit ya says:

7:35 too smart for this country….. oh, if only he would please leave.

9. Canadian Bacon says:

7:35, yeh we’re not too big government, just 14 Trillion in debt and another 2 Trillion in debt each year. Go get some smarts.

10. Gail B. says:

John Buyon–You sound like Joe Biden!

Oh, why waste my time trying to explain anything to you?! All you will do is argue. Pity.

11. Gail B. says:

5:31 p.m. — You are a wise man! No, you’re brilliant! Perhaps even BOTH!

12. Gail B. says:

Randy Wills @ 12:19 pm –

Well said!

John Buyon, call the fire department; I smell smoke!

13. John Buyon says:

@ Randy
    Obama is an intellectual
    for good or bad and that is why the retarded attacks on him by the right wing media of “elitism” stick on him because he doesn’t act like what a stereotypical black person from the south side of Chicago should.

how is it snub to say Obama is smarter than the average american is it a bad thing to have leaders better than the voters?

” And by the way, I’m still waiting for ANYONE to take me up on the challenge to name just one person of influence in Obama’s past who could realistically qualify as a person of traditional, Judeo/Christian, American values ”

this statement is very strange who do you think Obama is a foreign agent? you make it seem as if he immigrated to the united states from Mars in 2006.

you people make it sound like all the debt came from Obama 1 trillion from him 13 trillion from the previous 8 presidents. Debt is not good but a sense of proportion is needed here.

14. Gail B. says:

John Buyon at 12:21 am

If Obama/Soetoro is so dazzling smart, why does he have to read everything from a teleprompter? Why can’t he look at the camera, for eye contact with the American people?

And, remember all those jobs that the stimulus bill “saved or created” that he bragged about? The stimulus bill was such a failure and poor use of tax money that the Dems are now saying only that ‘it touched so many people.”

John Buyon, do you think that Obama (/Soetoro, or whatever his name is) could win a debate with our Founding Fathers on any of his policies? And do you believe that they would even condone his dual citizenship for eligibility under the Constitution? Would our Founding Fathers need a teleprompter?

15. Dee says:

John Buyon, what makes you think that BO is “an intellectual”? The media keeps saying he is a professor. He did nothing but give several lectures. He did not have tenure or teach on a regular basis. I have given lectures to both undergraduates and graduate students. Does that make me a professor or even “an intellectual”?
    As Randy has asked, ” name just one person of influence in Obama’s past who could realistically qualify as a person of traditional, Judeo/Christian, American values ”. Not one person that went to Occidental, Columbia, or Harvard with him has stepped forward to mention their relationship with him. How many articles has he written? I thought that as editor of The Harvard Law Review, you were supposed to write something.
    I have seen no evidence at all regarding how supposedly smart he is. When he is not reading his teleprompters, he cannot put together an intelligent argument. He is like a ventriloquist’s remote control dummy.

16. Show me the paper says:

I stand with Gail.

17. Gail B. says:

This just caught my eye in Financial Times:

Economic growth fears shake Wall Street
    US stocks sunk in early trading as investors across the world fled risky assets and Wall Street feared that upcoming economic data releases could be weaker than previously expected

Ain’t Obama grand? He’s raising taxes and the unemployment rate faster than he can lie!

18. I swear, I be smart says:

Put Barack in an IQ (not GQ) test Smackdown, with the likes of say, Newt Gingrich…. I dare ya.

Categories: The Constitution, American History, English, budgetary MATH, etc
    Prerequisites for testing: 35, bc, 14 years resident

19. Randy Wills says:

No, John, I can’t possibly know who he is because, other than alluding to relationships in his own “autobiographies”, he keeps everything hidden except what he wants us to know. All I actually KNOW about Obama is that, as far as can be determined from the public record, all those of influence in his pre-political life are/were Marxist-leaning radicals who basically hated the American ideal based on free-market capitalism and Judeo/Christian values.

If you can come up with a better way of trying to understand who a person really is – not what he says he is but what the record shows that he is by examining his past relationships – please let the rest of us know.

Thanks.

Randy

20. Couldn't put it down says:

2:26 Dreams Of My Communist Father. Such a prolific author.

21. An Obama-like encounter says:

Lie, and try to be all things!
    ——————————-

A man boarded an airplane and took his seat. As he settled in, he glanced up and saw the most beautiful woman boarding the plane. He soon realized she was heading straight towards his seat. As fate would have it, she took the seat right beside his.

Eager to strike up a conversation he blurted out, “Business trip or pleasure?”

She turned, smiled and said, “Business. I’m going to the Annual Nymphomaniacs of America Convention in Boston ”

He swallowed hard. Here was the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen sitting next to him, and she was going to a meeting of nymphomaniacs.

Struggling to maintain his composure, he calmly asked,

“What’s your business role at this convention?”

“Lecturer,” she responded. “I use information that I have learned from my personal experiences to debunk some of the popular myths about sexuality.”

“Really?” he said. “And what kind of myths are there?”

“Well,” she explained, “one popular myth is that African-American men are the most well-endowed of all men, when in fact it is the Native American Indian who is most likely to possess that trait.

Another popular myth is that Frenchmen are the best lovers, when actually it is men of Jewish descent who are the best.

I have also discovered that the lover with absolutely the best stamina is the Southern Redneck.”

Suddenly the woman became a little uncomfortable and blushed.
    “I’m sorry,” she said, “I shouldn’t really be discussing all of this with you. I don’t even know your name.”

“Tonto,” the man said, “Tonto Goldstein, but my friends call me Bubba.”

22. John Buyon says:

were you guys asleep during the presidential debates? what about the democratic primary debates?
    during those 2 hour marathons barrack had more time to speak unscripted than all the other candidates he didn’t say stupid things then, everyone uses a teleprompter. the fact that the only argument the right has against Obama is that he uses a teleprompter reveals so much. right wing loons who destroyed this country after 30 years cant logically counter Obama’s clearly more intelligent ideas so they distract the debate by talks about a prompter.
    laughable really. and you wonder why the left wing doesn’t take you guys seriously, you barely take yourself seriously.

23. Dee says:

At least we can comment without calling the other side names and writing demeaning and derisive comments about them.

There is more than just the use of the teleprompter that is wrong with BO. I have no idea if what he expresses are his ideas or those of others. I still am not convinced that he is sooooo intelligent.

24. whats_up says:

@ Dee,

I dont know Dee I have seen some pretty demeaning and derisive comments by Conservatives against Liberals. Seems to me both sides have quite a bit of this going on.

25. Dork says:

The Canadian said: “he didn’t say stupid things then”

Things like… if you make under 250,000 there will be nooooo tax increase on you; Not one dime. Stupid, lies, are they different?

ROTFLMAO

26. Dee says:

whats_up, I agree that the conservative candidates and liberal candidates have done alot of name calling. I was referring to the comments and posts of either side by people like you and me.

Dee at 3:19, he’s not.

28. John Buyon says:

um beside the tax cuts for 95% of the population you know the lower 95% who actually labor for their money instead of moving money around or living off economic rent. yea those people got their taxes cut sorry but I have a big hunch that all of you right-wingers did also.

29. Never lax on the tax says:

7:44, looking past the cigarette tax, tanning tax, etc….. and soon to balloon tax rates on Jan 1. They will always rob Peter to pay Paul, count on it.