A Fake Story from Fox News

Fox News: 80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city’s West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

“It’s a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead,” said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

This story cannot be real. It must be a fake. It must be some sort of NRA-inspired propaganda being spit out by the hopelessly radical right-wing Fox News.

I mean, heck, handguns are banned in Chicago.  And yet this story says that not only did the criminal invading this elderly couple’s home have one, but the homeowner did as well.  Impossible.  Fox really needs to check its sources on this one.

And what of this next part?

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

“Self-defense isn’t just a right, it’s a duty,” said attorney Joel Brodsky. “If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it’s not just a travesty, it’s justice turned inside out.”

Brodsky must be an NRA plant. From Kentucky or Alabama or Texas or somewhere. Once again, those right-wing nutjobs over at Fox News absolutely must have gotten things wrong, because they claim to have found an attorney in Chicago who feels that self-defense is a duty?

Everybody knows that self-defense is only acceptable if someone’s hands are wrapped around your neck, squeezing the life out of you — and even then, only proportionally appropriate force is acceptable.  Gosh, we all know that.  And yet this elderly veteran shot and killed a misunderstood young man who must have mistaken his home for a library or something.  Terrible.  Fox News should get its facts straight.

Comments

1. Duh says:

Similar, and relevant, at a nation level.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama’s new national security strategy says armed conflict should be a last resort but doesn’t repudiate the Bush administration’s doctrine of pre-emptive war or its call for the U.S. to go it alone in defending against foreign threats.

2. Lilly says:

Yep, I saw it on Chicago Tribune’s site first. I wouldn’t be surprised if they wait until the complete investigation is done then charge the old man when things calm down in the press. The supreme court is suppose to rule on the handgun ban in Chicago next month. Which could also be part of why they haven’t filed charges (yet). on a side note, The old man had on an Obama shirt when he went to the police station. Their home was broke into about a month prior, which is why he bought a gun.

3. Steve Crown says:

Jeff, I believe you omitted one step to the burden for self defense. In Chicago, it may be permissible only if the ‘squeezee’ has announced his intention to deliver proportionately appropriate force in sufficient time to allow the ‘squeezor’ to contemplate the foreseeable consequences of his invasion and agressive actions and, having contemplated those,to quietly and respectfully exit the premises.

4. Boston Blackie says:

Remember, once hand guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. We need a followup feel good story on the intruder. I see the one of the standing headlines being used;
    He was getting his life back on track
    He was being raised by his grandmother
    He was about to become a father(again)
    Hopefully all references to the intruder are now in the past tense.

5. Boston Blackie says:

This reminds me of when Dukakis was governor of mASSachusetts. He and the democRAT controlled legislature passed a law that said you could not approach an intruder in your home and defend yourself. You had to use all possible means to leave the dwelling. If you actually stayed and defended yourself, you could charged with a crime. Thankfully, Dukakis was voted out the following year and the incoming governor signed an executive order reversing the law.

6. Bobby K. says:

Jeff I just about fell out of my chair laughing.

Duh,

it appears even Obama is missing George W.

8. Gail B. says:

Damn! You’re good!!!

I saw the story and wondered about the loose ends, but I didn’t expect to find them tied up here at AR, of all places!

Then, remember the story about Columbia University (or was it Occidental?) being subpoenaed to release the college records? That was an April Fool’s joke last year–which you decried as an AP story, saying it was not AP’s style. You were right.

And, this week came the email with the story accredited to a writer at Canada Free Press about the National Security Letter being sent to 14 governors. You turned your nose up at that one, too. I checked with JB Williams, also a writer at CFP, and asked him to check on it. He came back and said it was not true and told me to let the people I’d sent it to know that it wasn’t true. It was on a couple of websites with the update that it was a hoax.

I was married to the master of con for 21 years. Usually, a bell will ring in the back of my head when I’m being BS’ed, but I did vaguely remember something similar being circulated back when Bush was prez.

This is the reason I love AR! When I hear/read something startling, I send it to you, Jeff; the ESP and common sense running through you give us a sense of security.

You, as head of your household, have one lucky wife and daughter! Thank you for including your readers as part of your “family.”

9. Doug says:

Well done Jeff! I always appreciate a good story early in the morning with my coffee. This is the right way to start a day. With a big smile!