Be a Part of the Solution: Speak Out Today

By REP. MAC THORNBERRY (R-TX)
Guest Contributor

There is a lot of frustration and disappointment with Washington these days. Americans want lawmakers to focus on the essentials — an economy creating new jobs and high living standards and national security to protect us from a variety of threats. Instead, this Democratic Congress has pushed a government takeover of health care, a failed stimulus package, and other misguided legislation like “Cash for Caulkers.”

Our country faces serious problems — mounting government debt, wide open borders, and threats from dangerous and elusive enemies.

I do not have to tell you that Americans are frustrated because they feel that the current leadership doesn’t have a competent plan to deal with these problems and others. Thankfully, more Americans are engaged in the national debate today than any other time most of us can remember. They have spoken out time and again against the current agenda; Washington just hasn’t been listening.

In an effort to let the American people’s voices be heard, a group of House Republicans are advocating for a new way of doing business in Washington, where the priorities of the American people become the priorities of the people they hired to represent them.

We want to hear what you think should be a part of the new policy agenda. Whether it’s on the economy, spending, values, national security, or another topic, we are asking Americans to speak out and help us build an agenda that reflects their priorities.

A key part of this effort is a new online forum, AmericaSpeakingOut.com, where you can participate in a conversation about how to build a new agenda. Using social media tools, you are able to give us your best ideas, promote your priorities, debate ideas posted by others, and share your conversations with others via Facebook and Twitter.

Our goal is to create an agenda that includes positive solutions that can transcend politics. This agenda should address some of our most pressing national challenges without hiding behind the Washington excuse that some problems— like increasing our energy supplies or simplifying the tax code— are just too big or too complicated to solve.

I hope that you will visit AmericaSpeakingOut.com and play a part in changing the policy and practices of Washington. There’s no better time than now to do just that.

—————
Congressman William McClellan “Mac” Thornberry, a fifth-generation Texan, has been serving the 13th District of Texas since being elected in the Republican Revolution in 1994 to the U.S. House of Representatives, where he also serves on the Committee on Armed Services, the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and several subcommittees. He maintains a lifetime 95 rating from the American Conservative Union, including a 100 rating in crucial 2009. As far as America’s Right is concerned, he’s one of the good guys.

Comments

1. Jeff Schreiber says:

I love both this and the YouCut program (Google it if you’d like, as I’ve been too swamped to get any information up here at AR), both initiatives being fostered by the same Republicans that so many on the right still dismiss as doing nothing.

It’s about getting people involved. It’s about keeping people informed. And while this is a representative republic and not a direct democracy, it can’t hurt to restore the connection between the people and the lawmakers in every way possible.

Great job by the House Republicans. I’m glad I could help spread the word, even a little bit.

2. Gail B. says:

Oh, how wonderful! I’m copying and pasting (not trusting people to go to the link) and spreading far and wide! It’s already in my notebook to paste.

Jeff, I’ve heard of YouCut–and receive email notices from them.

Thank you, Congressman Thornberry–thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

You know what they say: “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.” Clearly, you are not part of the problem!

3. William A. Rose says:

This is a great idea. We do have to fight the oppression, so REP. Thornberry has done us all a service. I will be “speaking out”. I hope to see everyone there too! Have a great day everybody.

4. whats_up says:

What gets me riled up is this mindset that any bill the other side proposes is bad because they are the other side. Dems do it, Repubs do it, its pathetic and Un-American. America should come first, not their party.

5. Gail B. says:

I have friends who realize things aren’t quite right in D.C., but they seem to have a problem “facing reality.” It has helped to stir their interest by mentioning something here and there about what Obama & Co. are doing, without just absolutely bombarding them with information. They are beginning to contact their Congressional Representatives and Senators by either writing letters or telephoning.

The most shocking thing that one told me (though it wasn’t surprising) was, “Well, I haven’t seen anything on the television news about that.” My reply was, “And, no, you WON’T! The mainstream media is supportive of Obama. The networks don’t expose what he’s up to.” She asked me how I found my information. Easy answer: The Internet! She is now not trusting of Obama & Co. At least a little headway was made in that direction.

We’re not going to get anywhere until we can get the “sleepy ones” interested — and active.

Whats_up, I have no party, tell me what to do, almighty one.

7. Randy Wills says:

I have to agree with “whats-up” on the issue of knee-jerk reactions based on party affiliation. I’m afraid the deeper problem is the declining trust in our representatives, much of the distrust well-deserved.

I see no way out of the fear of the “opposing” party, which manifests itself in angry responses and insults (and even our president stoops to that), than to concentrate on making a connection with those whose views are different from our own. Otherwise, we will just keep retreating into our own tribal territory and eventually choose not to even try to live together in peace.

As a committed follower of Jesus Christ, I have a far larger problem with those who profess belief but live lives of complete indifference to His example and teachings than I do with any political “opponents”, of any stripe.

Randy

8. psydog says:

Okay I used the link to get to the site and attempted for over 1/2 hour to register. The site would not fully load up and kept rejecting my info. It also had my representative wrong. I really would like to get involved in sites like this but if they don’t work correctly then I don’t want to waste my time. I am currently reading the book “Obama Zombies” by Jason Mattera and I believe that the Republicans/Conservatives need to utilize the internet to its fullest. The Democrats used it to help elect BHO and we need to get with the times and modernize. Signed frustrated PSYDOG.

9. Jeff Schreiber says:

Psydog,

I think it was a first day thing. Apparently, the site is still registering two to three new users PER SECOND. Give it a little bit.

Jeff

10. Gail B. says:

Well, EVERYBODY’s talking about it–Received an email from Boehner about it; have seen news articles about it; heard about it on FOX News. No wonder it’s jumped into life!

Points are earned for doing things on the site, but I don’t know exactly how that works yet. One fellow had over 1,000 points on the FIRST DAY! I have 125 points.

Good news travels fast! I even phoned Rep. Thornberry’s office to thank him for his article on AR. The nice gentleman who answered the phone gave me his own email address so I could get a message to the Congressman through him. That’s over-the-top consideration!

It feels so good knowing that those in D.C. really do want to know our concerns and how we feel on issues.

11. Barney Frank, IQ 0 says:

Tongue firmly in cheek, Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) on Tuesday afternoon called on reporters to demand to see the birth certificate of new Rep. Charles Djou (R-Hawaii).

As Djou (pictured here) was being sworn into office, Frank walked the hallway of the Speaker’s Lobby off the House floor calling on the media to “do your job” and review Djou’s papers.

It was a small bit of payback for the enormous amount of attention some conservatives (and the media) paid to the is-the-president-really-from-America controversy.

But, unlike the commander-in-chief, as Frank knows, being born outside the U.S. does not preclude you from becoming a member of Congress.

12. Kevin says:

I went to this site and registered this evening. I then began reading from the Idea area of this site. I had to go through 12 BS posts to get to 1 intelligent idea. I guess its appropriate that the acronym for this site is ASO, because it seems to have attracked many ASOs.

13. whats_up says:

Randy,

I appreciate what you say, that is part of the reason that I come to sites like this, to get a different viewpoint. There are many though, that dont want a different viewpoint, they would rather I go away and not spout my “liberal” dogma, they call me an enemy of the state, a traitor. Why? Because I have the audacity to think differently than they do, this isnt a traitorous act, I am not an enemy of the state, I simply think that our great country should be run a different way. That makes me an American, I speak out about how I want my country run, I get invovlved civically. When things dont go my way I dont accuse the other side of being traitors or helping the enemy.

14. Boston Blackie says:

whats-up,
    Well said, like @3:03 I too am not affiliated with any party. I pretty much don’t trust any politician. For the most part, they are just looking to hang on to one of the most cushy jobs around. There is too much “they did it so we can too” mentality in DC, we need to stop the insanity. Hopefully that site will not turn into an outlet to vent against any opposition, it needs to be used to let EVERYONE in Congress know what needs to be fixed NOW.
    I’m just curious as to your age. For no other reason than I see you as in your late 20′s or early 30′s and you are seeing the light that this country is too important to let be destroyed while some of your friends may not have had that epiphany yet. Anyway, your thoughts and comments are always appreciated by me.

15. Randy Wills says:

“whats-up” @ 11:33 am:

The Apostle Paul reminded the churches (they must have been arguing about something, but I don’t recall what the debate was about) that “differences are necessary so that the correct way can be discerned”. The secret is in intellectual integrity and a willingness to be wrong if that’s where the evidence/facts/history leads us.

Most folks seem to fear being wrong and so they hide behind invective rather than do the work of proving themselve right. My fear is not that I might be wrong but rather that we are in a death-spiral of animosity and separation.

I’ve been trying to write something regarding the fear that grips a large part of the nation, what its causes are, and where that will ultimately lead us, but, so far, I just haven’t been able to get it right. I’ll keep trying.

Randy

16. Just sayin says:

How bout some HONESTY in Congress?, starting with Sestak.

17. Jeff Schreiber says:

Just sayin –

I like Sestak, in that even though he’s wrong on just about everything, I believe him to be an honorable man. I hope he does the right thing here.

Jeff

18. whats_up says:

Boston Blackie @ 1:21

Bless you, I wish I was in my early 30′s again, it was a fun time. I will turn 40 in Oct of this year. I get what you are saying about politicians. While I lean liberal in most of my thoughts, I cant stand Pelosi and Reid, its time for them to go. What we do need to do however is attach an amendment to the Constitution instituting term limits on our Federal elected Reps and Senators. The important thing, however, is that dialogue continue. I have no problem changing my viewpoint when new facts are put into evidence, some people seem to think that politics has become a position that even if I am wrong I am sticking to my guns because it will make the other side look good. Last time I checked the only side I was on was the American side.

19. whats_up says:

To Randy @ 9:22

How much of this do you equate to the rise in the use of the internet? That certainly has something to do with the incivility that we have seen. After all when you can remain behind the scenes people will often say things that they wouldnt say otherwise. Also 24 hr news might have something to do with it as well, so does Rush, Olberman, Matthews and Beck. Their jobs, they way they make money is to keep us divided and at each other throats, so they have a vested interest in doing so. At some point we need to be able to sit down and have a frank and honest discussion about where this country is headed. I am not quite sure that we can do that if they are the ones driving the conversation. Not everything conservatives want is bad, likewise for liberals. I would wager that we agree on far more than we disagree, but that doesnt make for good news or good talking points.

20. Boston Blackie says:

Jeff, I too believe that Sestak is speaking the truth. I also believe that he originally just wanted this to go away so he did not say what position he was offered. Now I think he realizes what a slimey snack oil salesman Obeyme really is and thinks he will be the latest victim with tire tracks down his back. I think he is saving the announcement of the actual job offer as his trump card. Again, this admin thinks we have ADD and if they just ignore us, we will go away and onto the next issue. Hey Barack, we will not be ignored.

21. Just sayin says:

I guess I meant COMPLETE honesty.
    It’s hard to rag a man that makes admiral, but there IS something to be said for forthrightness.

22. Boston Blackie says:

Jeff, Sorry to distract you while you are trying to finalize things in Philly this weekend but have you seen the WH’s response finally to Sestak ….

If we believe this admin’s argument that this a “relatively complex situation” and that it took them months to do an “exhaustive review,” then how are we to believe that they can handle truly complex situations like the war in Afghanistan or the oil leak in the gulf? Sestka said he was offered a job, not an unpaid position on an advisory board! By a former president who has been out of office for just about a decade no less!?! Somebody better tell Obeyme that it’s not the crime but the cover up that gets you in trouble. Nobody should know that better than Clinton (and Nixon). Hell, let Clinton be the fall guy, he’s used to perjuring himself which is why he is on the talk circuit instead of practicing law.
    I usually think that they are a waste of money, but time for that special prosecutor to get everyone under oath.

23. Randy Wills says:

To “whats-up” @ 1:15 PM:

All of those things that you mention certainly play a roll in the spirit of fear-driven animosity and distrust. The politicians probably are the most responsible, however, for using demagoguery as a means of winning votes. The “political operatives” have developed the practice of casting the opponent as the devil incarnate to the point of it being a fine art.

As a case in point, I would have liked the President to say, regarding the immigration law in Arizona something like “Look folks, the people in AZ have a right to be concerned about the crime and cost associated with illegal immigration and, if there is fault to find, let it rest on the shoulders of the federal government because it has failed to meet its responsibilities. I have made immigration reform a top priority of my administration, but in the meantime, I trust law enforcement in AZ to protect the rights of innocent citizens while it attempts to fill the gap created by our failure.”

How unrealistic of me to even suggest such a scenario, but what a difference it would make in the national dialog.

Randy

24. JAN says:

Recently I had the opportunity to stay a few days with a very dear friend of mine who just happens to be a democrat. Whenever anyone asks me my party affiliation I tell them “none, I’m an American.” The moment you tell the party the name of the party it seems you are immediately discounted unless they are of the same party. We would rather talk about the issues than discuss the issues with the parties. My friend and I admitted that there really isn’t that much difference between us. For example: I have no problem giving homosexuals equal rights in regards to benefits, recognition in hospitals, etc. I just don’t want them altering marriage in order to do so. This was just one issue where we could agree. We can’t get to that sort of agreement in most cases because we get hung up on the fact that someone is either a democrat or a republican. I’m an American, plain and simple. Let’s find the common ground and work from there. I don’t think it’s too hard to do.

25. Randy Wills says:

To “whats-up”.

I posted a comment responding to your questions of 5/28 but it seems to have gotten lost in the “moderation” process. Just wanted you to know that I wasn’t ignoring you.

Randy

Trackbacks

1. [...] Rep. Mac Thornberry on America’s Right Be a Part of the Solution: Speak Out Today [...]

2. [...] America Speaking Out program, unveiled here at America’s Right by Texas Congressman Mac Thornberry and elsewhere by other congressional Republicans on May 25, is a great idea and has, from what [...]