‘Can we have your liver, then?’

CBS2: Proposal: All New Yorkers Become Organ Donors

“We have 10,000 New Yorkers on the list today waiting for organs. We import half the organs we transplant. It is an unacceptable failed system,” Brodsky said.

To fix that, Brodsky introduced a new bill in Albany that would enroll all New Yorkers as an organ donor, unless they actually opt out of organ donation. It would be the first law of its kind in the United States.

“Overseas, 24 nations have it. Israel has it. Others have it. And it works without a lot of controversy,” Brodsky said.

Currently one of the biggest obstacles to being a donor is while 9 out of 10 are favorable to it only 1 out of 10 is signed up to be a donor.

I heard about this a few days ago.  While it seems heavy-handed on its face, all it seems to do is change the “default setting,” if you will, from a “no” to a “yes” when it comes to organ donation.  It’s not like health care reform, where there is no way of opting out of the mandate.  And, as an organ donor myself, I can appreciate it.

Nevertheless, since I heard about the story earlier this week, I could not get out of my head how, once again, Monty Python has shown that art does indeed imitate life.  Well, to a certain degree, anyway.

Comments

1. Samuel Adams says:

I bequeath my liver, but request it not go to a progressive.

2. Boston Blackie says:

I know it is only a change in options but when you become a match as a living donor will Big Brother show up at your door with a scalpel demanding your organ. The hospitals must be behind this mandate so they can recoop some lost revenue when Obamascare kicks in. BTW, I am both a registered organ/tissue donor since 1995 through the Mickey Mantle Foundation as well as a monthly blood platelet donor through the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. I just don’t like when I am told I MUST do something. It’s like being told to cross in the crosswalk and when the light is red, I refuse.

3. Nimby5956 says:

I can’t believe people are not outraged by this….This takes redistribution to a whole new level – even our organs are not safe!

4. Type A Pos Conservative says:

Donor registrations should have party affiliation on them and be used in the matching process. Convictions have consequences.

5. J Holmes says:

I leave my cojones, to any politician that would use em to save this country.

6. whats_up says:

Boston,

I dont know if you MUST do something as there is an opt out program involved here. As long as i have an option to opt out of the program I dont see the problem.

7. whats_up says:

To Type A Pos Conservative:

Thats pretty sad when you would only donate to those that agree with you politically. At the end of the day we are all Americans.

8. Just sayin says:

whats_up, you don’t understand, i REALLY wouldn’t want a vital organ of mine going to someone who really doesn’t cherish this country and doesn’t want to preserve its liberty and heritage, sorry. Not politics, survival.

That term, American, is very loosely thrown around nowadays.

I die. One of my organs saves the life of a progressive hell bent on the ultimate destruction of this country as founded. Explain the positives in that scenario to my grandson. Plus, they are all for the killing of babies, I don’t see the problem. It’s all hypothetical anyway with the organ harvesting system as it is now.

11. Gail B. says:

This sounds strangely familiar. Something about an organ black market, and it has something to do with either someone in I-Obama’s family or within his circle of friends. I’ll see what I can find and come back. I learned about it about the time the H1N1 virus and vaccinations were the hot topic.

12. Gail B. says:

Well, I have found out that Iran is the only country in the world where it is not illegal to buy and sell organs!

(I’m still working on it.)

13. whats_up says:

Just sayin:

Anonymous:

So you would let a fellow American die because he disagrees with you polictically? Pathetic and more to the point, how un-American!!

14. Jeff Schreiber says:

I agree with What’s Up. Life is life.

a personal preference, and its not just ‘politics’ here lately, it really is survival of a nation.

16. Boston Blackie says:

Anonymous-
    I hope you or a family member are never in need of a transplant. If so, will you turn down the donation if it came from someone with an opposing viewpoint. I think you should volunteer for a day at a children’s hospital and witness the anguish of families awaiting an organ transplant as well as the family who just lost a member but made the ultimate sacrifice and donated the organs. The issue I have is being force to make that donation by the government. I also disgree on the millions of dollars made by harvesting organs when families are at their most vulnerable.
    whats_up-
    What next will we be forced to opt out of or to opt INTO?

6:50 including babies half out the womb.

pro-choice, organ bequeathing.

I’m actually, or was actually, a good person…. on the organ donor registry, bone marrow registry, and am a trained and experienced EMT… even volunteer at a local humane society.. It’s just that here lately with this country and the ensuing insanity of it I have become jaded. I don’t like that about me, but there is much more about this state of affairs that I don’t like. I would freely give an organ to a progressive’s child, however. Once again, it’s all hypothetical anyway.