Let’s Set the Record Straight, Already

It started, oddly enough, with a now former voiceover spokesman for GEICO Insurance, Lance Baxter, who left a disparaging voicemail message for FreedomWorks, the PAC responsible for much of the albeit loose organization behind the Tea Party movement.  While I’m sure his voice sounded buttery smooth, what he had to say wasn’t exceptionally nice, as he characterized members of the movement as mentally challenged and wondered aloud what would happen if one of the Tea Partiers turned to violence.

Then, one of the folks behind FreedomWorks posted Baxter’s telephone number online and encouraged people to call.  Baxter’s phone inevitably rang off the hook, and from the looks of the video below, he was shocked–SHOCKED!–by the venom and vitriol he heard from angry Tea Partiers on the other end of the line.  See for yourself:

Well, Baxter was fired from his gig at GEICO, and after word got out about his termination, a number of those on the left who supported Baxter’s position called and e-mailed FreedomWorks.  Courtesy of Tabitha Hale over at Right Wing News, we can now hear a smattering of those voicemail messages.

Ahhh … the ever-so-tolerant left.

***WARNING: Extremely foul language.***

I don’t know about you, but I’ve grown pretty darned tired of the blind assertion that those of us on the political right in this nation are somehow racist, violent xenophones simply because we believe in the merits of a limited federal government, and the actual enforcement of our own laws where they apply.

So much attention was given to the angry messages received by Congressman Bart Stupak in the days and weeks leading up to the health care reform vote.  Stupak’s wife had to disconnect the telephone.  Authorities were apprised of personal threats made.  Well, the part that the media never reminds us about is that, up until a few hours before the vote took place, Stupak was taking a stand AGAINST health care reform — so the voicemail messages and threats and everything else came from people on the left who felt as though he had abandoned the Democratic Party and their agenda of populist authoritarianism.  It’s simply a matter of timing.

For the media, however, it doesn’t matter.  Look, for example, at the situation down in Arizona, where the governor has just signed into law a measure which will allow for the enforcement of immigration laws.  Illegal immigrants and the open borders crowd have taken to the streets, throwing rocks and bottles at law enforcement officials and harassing legislators to the point where armed escort has been needed.

And yet, to the media, these are people whose cause should evoke emotion.  While the Tea Party movement, however, is apparently filled with ne’er-do-wells.  But the movement I’ve been seeing all along, and the rally I saw on April 15 in Philadelphia, looked decidedly different.

Looking out at the crowd today, I tried to once again view the world from a liberal’s eyes.  I looked and looked for racists, but found none.  I looked and looked for bigots, but found none.  I searched for xenophobes and homophobes and other -phobes, but my search was done in vain.

I came up empty because the Tea Party movement is not about race, because it is not about religion, or gender, or nationality, or sexual orientation.  Certainly, the 300 people who made up today’s crowd in Love Park surely would not agree with each other on an issue-by-issue basis, but that’s the beauty of the movement.  The Tea Party movement is about the core principles at the heart of the core principles.  It’s not about the superficial issues which divide us, it’s about the proper size, scope, role and function of the American federal government as envisioned by those great but imperfect men who came together and created a nation 222 years ago and a mere ten blocks away.

The Tea Party movement is about whether it’s right for the federal government to situate itself between a patient and his doctor.  It’s about whether it’s right for the government to retain the authority to take over a private corporation because that organization is somehow deemed a “systemic risk” and “too big to fail.”  It’s about more than Nancy Pelosi, more than Harry Reid, and more than Barack Obama.

As good as the last few months of this year may be, as much as I firmly believe that we are going to see an electoral bloodbath in November, getting there will not be easy.  As far as the crowd in Love Park is concerned, those who stand against them will do everything in their power to portray our movement as somehow abnormal.  They will infiltrate our crowds.  They will attempt to distract from our message.  They will actively work to make us look like racists, bigots, xenophobes and homophobes.  My question to those people is: if we’re such a bunch of racists, bigots, xenophobes and homophobes, why do they need to infiltrate our crowds to portray us as such?

Regardless, those people who were gathered today in Love Park and across the country cannot let them.  We need to remember why we’re here.  We need to police ourselves.  We need to show the rest of America, those people still home and watching a movement unfold on television, that you and I are no different than they are.  We’re black, we’re white, we’re gay, we’re straight, we’re rich, we’re poor.  Like them, we want to be free to live our lives, to run our businesses, to raise our families.  Like them, we know that we cannot spend beyond our means.  Like them, we want more than anything else for our children to inherit more freedom, more potential, more opportunity and a better way of life than we enjoyed ourselves.

I’m tired of it.  Sure, we’re frustrated.  Sure, we’re angry.  But for the most part, we have a different way of showing it.  Look at the two videos above.  Considering the second one, really listen to the tone, to the anger, to the inability of some to reach the right words through all of the seething hatred.  The difference is incredible, especially considering that the first video is held up as a glowing example of the anger and intolerance on the right.

Show this to everyone you know, because I’m just getting tired of pointing out the obvious all the time.  Let’s set the record straight, already.

Comments

1. Jenna :) says:

It is truly unbelievable, the hypocrisy…

2. John Feeny says:

Here’s my question, and I’m not sure if I’m just thinking out loud, asking rhetorically, or actually looking for an answer: at what point will the people who claim to be adherents of ‘leftist’ ideology look at the infinite facts from actual history and finally realize that it’s always the Left that uses violence as a political weapon and forces their viewpoint upon entire groups of people? What does it take?

Is it that they’re willfuly ignorant, or they’ve been so brainwashed over the course of two generations that they just can’t see it?

Tell ya what – as much as I couldn’t possibly be any more opposed to their alleged worldview, I think it’s kind of fascinating. What happened to these people?

3. Boston Blackie says:

The lefties should be out in full force this Saturday since it is May Day, the high holy day for the socialists(isn’t that an oxymoron since most of them are atheists). I heard that Mexico, yes Mexico, is going to file suit against Arizona for discrimination. I would say that was pretty funny but we all know there are many judges that will rule in their favor.
    May God help us all.

John, who said “it’s always the Left that uses violence as a political weapon and forces their viewpoint upon entire groups of people?”, needs a chat with the White House staff. Mao and Che were gentlemen. Mr Buyon can confirm.

5. Dee says:

What a difference in the videos. Those in the second video do not sound like Harvard grads. I agree, Jeff, I am tired of the name calling and no intelligent response from the left.

6. Old Richard says:

If I’m not mistaken is this not directly from Rules for Radicals ??
    To accuse your oppisition of what you are guilty of??

Just wondering

Old Richard

7. Gail B. says:

The Left cannot defend its position. This is the reason they resort to name calling and ridicule. Alinsky’s Rule 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”

And the first rule of power tactics is food for thought– “Power is not what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.”

As a side note to Jeff: Jeff, we are all “pulling” for you and your family, for your success with the avalanche of exams in both law school and in SC and with the stressful physical move to the South. Do what you have to do, so that you can do it well and timely. You were in Poland for two weeks last year; we survived in your absence, thanks to Robert Wallace and other talented writers. You’ve already instructed us to do our own research in order to stay informed. We’ll all be here when you pop your head up out of the water again this summer. May God bless you!

8. Robyn says:

Who in their right mind says those kinds of things to people they don’t even know? Liberals have missing brain parts or they were drunk, actually a few sounded like Otis Campbell. WOW

9. TNelson says:

If it were not so scary, it would be funny. This has been the case ever since I can remember… pick just about any issue; if you don’t agree with the left, they label you something.

Homophobe, sexist, racist, all bandied about. Don’t agree with gay marriage (in my case it’s not that I agree or disagree, I just don’t understand it. Too long to explain here…)? You’re a homophobe, and should probably be jailed or killed… either way you’re probably not fit to be occupying the same planet as them. Anti-abortion at will? That’s easy, you’re a sexist pig and want to degrade and oppress women…. even though child-birth is the ultimate expression of femininity and ‘power’ (for lack of a better term)…. yeah… I’m sexist?!? I better get re-educated. Do you hope that someday people can truly be color blind? That all people should be treated the same? Expression of skin color is used only as a way to properly identify someone quickly, like the color of their shirt, but that’s all it is? You must be a Racist, because clearly the Blue eyed White devils have oppressed people of darker skin tones forever. Society owes them something you racist pig! They are clearly incapable of doing things for themselves and we need to do it for them you stupid racist bastard! (and we’re the ones who are racist? I just thought people were people, with generally the same potential?)

These are the messages I keep hearing from the left. If you don’t agree, they would rather pass laws that force you to agree. On the right I hear mostly that we agree to disagree…. I don’t get it. We’ll fight wars to defend their right to disagree with us and protest wars. We’ll defend their right to express their hate of us to the death, and yet they still want us gone or forced to obey their ideology through laws. I just don’t get it.

10. John Buyon says:

Thank god there are some dumb liberals still left in america.
    With the tea party movement I thought all the dumb Americans came under one banner but good to know both sides are just as dumb. makes me less arrogant and sure of myself knowing that I’m also in a political camp with idiots.

@John Feeney the left uses violence? you a joke? or is that meant to provoke a long response from me?
    are you aware of the 4 way up-down, left-right political spectrum?
    violence and genocide committed from the gov’t come from authoritarian governments. left right has nothing to do with violence.
    up down have things to do with violence

11. Jeff Schreiber says:

Love that little test, John, as those tests go.

Thank you for responding earlier, by the way — but I can’t say any more because I am having enough trouble focusing on schoolwork for this last push. I hope you understand.

Jeff

12. Arse with a comparse says:

NOBODY wants a long response ftom YOU, dude. Are they called ‘dudes’ in Canada?

13. Jon says:

Re: video #1, nice try, Lance. The individual in the video at 0:26 was revealed to be a Moveon.org activist planted for propaganda purposes, and the individual with the rifle immediately following hardly sported “blindingly white skin”. Since you’ve been deeply involved with media production (as have I) you know all the smarmy tricks. The difference is that you’re willing to use them.

Trackbacks

1. [...] morning I was over at America’s Right and was surprised to see preliminary information and a video (of which I was unaware ) in a post [...]