Healthcare CEO Hearing Cancelled

Washington Examiner: Waxman Cancels ObamaCare CEO Hearing

A House Energy and Commerce Committee spokeswoman tells me that Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., has indeed cancelled the April 21 subcommittee hearing in which CEOs were to testify about Obamacare. So far, the only indication of this change appears on the committee’s website is on the Republican minority ranking member’s site. In fact, the hearing still appears on Waxman’s committee calendar for that day.

Waxman had called the hearing in reaction to public statements by several companies — including Verizon, AT&T, and John Deere, among others — that Obamacare would cost them hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars because it laid a new tax on their retiree health benefit payments.

Health care reform has passed, and as we look at tales of doctor shortages, mandated breastfeeding rooms, new taxes being found with each passing day, and know tax issues costing companies like Verizon, AT&T, Caterpillar and John Deere billions, it has become abundantly clear that the unintended adverse consequences from this new law have just begun to manifest themselves.

From a purely political standpoint, the Democrats have no choice but to try to move on. If they continue to keep the adverse consequences of health care reform in the headlines, as this hearing would have certainly done, the already palpable anger in this nation would surely remain at a fever pitch as the November mid-terms grow closer by the day.

So now, with the help of a mainstream press that takes its talking points directly from Nancy Pelosi’s office, we’ll see a dearth of coverage of the adverse effects of health care reform. Waxman’s move is part of that silencing effort. Instead, the focus will now shift onto reform of the financial system, as the Democrats feel they can find populist success campaigning against Wall Street.

Comments

1. Pitiful politics says:

What a shell game.

2. Chuck in San Diego says:

I saw “Game On!!” and still hold the hearings somehow. We need to get this type of information on the official Congressional Record. Otherwise, it may just get discounted to only being covered by Fox….I don’t see any of the mainstream media touching things like this.

3. Gail B. says:

John Feeny said, “Instead, the focus will now shift onto reform of the financial system, as the Democrats feel they can find populist success campaigning against Wall Street.”

When the taxes start hitting folks, I’m guessing that the populist success will be in the conservatives’ pocket.

I did a little calculating today on the $787B Stimulus Bill. There are roughly 2.6 people in the average family, with 116,011,000 families in the United States. That figures out to be $6,783.83 per family, and the $787,000,000,000 created not one single private sector job.

John, I was surprised as you were to hear it announced that the meeting had been canceled.

Come on, November!

4. Jeff Schreiber says:

Actually, Gail, that was me. John and I were just working out details as to the posting process.

I don’t want to put words in the guy’s mouth, you know?

Jeff

5. Gail B. says:
  6. Watch your step says:

It appears WAXman may be misnamed, he is now more WANE than WAX.
    Boy did he step in a big pile.

7. Gail B. says:

You know?– I have been wondering if Waxman happened to be directed to Jeff’s Horsemen or Musketeers article…and had second thoughts!

8. Tim S. says:

This definitely needs nationwide attention. Waxman is an absolute embarrassment. I remember Waxman presiding over the tobacco hearings. I thought to myself, this guy thinks he’s really someone special. It’s his and others like him, that bring this country great misery. He’s in bed with the most corrupt organizations, Sierra Club, Green Peace, to name a few. Socialism is a the down fall of all nations through history. These people are the destroyer’s of nations. Remember their faces and fire each and everyone of them….It’s really to bad they can’t be prosecuted.