Choices

I want to introduce you to a serious individual. His name is John Pratt. Every generation of his family, starting in the American Revolution with two fifth-great-grandfathers and one fourth-great-grandfather down to John himself, has seen service in the United States Army. He takes American freedom, liberty and exceptionalism very seriously, and while he’s an everyday father, grandfather and business owner like you and like me, I wouldn’t cross him.

I happen to like his passion and patriotism. And he’s likely also a better shot than I am. For those reasons, and for so many more, it is my pleasure to welcome him to the growing family of everyday American men and women who contribute to America’s Right. — Jeff

Yesterday, in 1765, the British Crown imposed the Stamp Act on their colonies in the New World. The Act established a tax on all printed materials, including newspapers, pamphlets, bills, legal documents, licenses, almanacs, dice and playing cards. It was the first time the Crown had posed a tax directly upon the people of the colonies. The Act so inflamed the colonists that “No Taxation Without Representation” became a rallying cry, leading to revolution.

As a direct result of the Stamp Act, the greatest nation in the history of the world was formed. It was held that the role of government was to ensure the rights of the people. That they were to be left untethered by the whims of king, prince or potentate. That they were free to engage in those pursuits, as they saw fit, to achieve their own life, liberty and happiness; without governmental interference. That the power of the government was derived from the consent of the people. And a system was established to see that these rights were ensured, and that those powers held in balance.

Two hundred and forty-five years later, almost to the day, we have learned that “Taxation With Representation” is no better.

We have acquiesced the consent of the governed to a point where our consent is no longer required. Nor is it even welcome. Through the use of bribes and coercions that would make a mafia boss blush, our representatives have effectively shredded the United States Constitution. And relegated the Declaration of Independence to the recycle bin.

Two hundred and forty-five years ago, those men did not forget. And they most certainly did not accept their fate. They rose up and with a resounding “BUGGER OFF!” told the king, his ministers and his army to go to Hell.

We now stand at a crossroads. To the left lays the path to more government, more taxes, less freedom. Though, on occasion, we have ventured a short way down this path, it has been generally avoided for those two hundred and forty-five years. It is the path our government wants us now to take. It is the path that leads to their power, to their control, to our own destruction. It is the path where we forget. And the one we will be forced to take if we do not make a firm decision not to.

The right path leads to the salvation of this Republic. Less governmental control, lower taxes, the freedoms that are already ours that we need only demand and take back. This is the path that reminds us that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

This is not an easy path. It is rough and rugged, beset with many dangers. But, if well traveled, by people willing to make the journey together, it can once again be smoothed and paved for future generations.

So now, my friends, we have a choice to make. Do we take the path to the left, or the path to the right?

Comments

1. Headed right says:

John, I will seriously ‘serve’ with you. I’m tiring of just smart-assing in the comments.

2. Hugh says:

We the People need to make our own choices.

Ecclesiates 10:2 says “A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.” NAS.

I want the dignity of making my own choices, not having some right crammed down my throat.

3. Boston Blackie says:

John, Welcome to AR and thank you for your service as well as your family’s many generations of service. You are a true American hero. Patriot’s Day is the third Monday in April here is MA, no better time for another shot heard round the world. Hopefully the Declaration of Independence was put in the recycle bin and not through the shredder this weekend. If it’s in the recycle bin, we can at least retrieve it and save it from total distruction.
    “And what do we do about it? We talk about the upset in the tournament. We speculate as to who will play golf next month in Georgia. We giggle about the starlet whose boobs popped out. We forget. We accept. We move on.”
    Excellent analysis, more Americans can name which teams made it to the sweet sixteen than who the speaker of the house is. SAD,SAD state of affairs.
    I now know how the residents of D.C. feel, taxation without representation must end. It is said character is the choices you make when NOBODY is watching. I for one am choosing that fork in the road to the right.
    P.S.
    You know why liberals are called lefties? Because when they are done, there is nothing left.

4. TNelson says:

First off, excuse my lack of proper sentence structure. Writing is not my strong suit and the year of community college I took only did so much in that respect.

Thinking about all that has transpired this weekend left me to believe this one thing, most of all, that divides us: Moral obligation vs. societal requirement.

I am not a religious man, but to deny my Christian upbringing would be naive…to think it did not shape me. I am spiritual in that sense. This is what gave me my ‘moral compass’. I need not be told what I have to do to take care of those who are truly in need, I only have to open my eyes. It is my moral obligation to help those people as best I can, after I have first looked after my own family. Far too many have replaced what was once second nature (morals) with something else…. I don’t know what it is. What was once no question (you help the lady stranded on the side of the road with a flat… you just do it, without thought.), is pushed into the back. It’s no wonder those who are pro big government see things the way they do… the moral compass is all skewed! They look at us, and say “they don’t want health care for the poor! They want the sick and needy to suffer!” We don’t even respond really, because all along it was never in question; it is our moral obligation to help those less fortunate. The same people who cannot see this, (becuase they have no solid moral foundation) while still being good people, automatically assume this is something that must be mandated, otherwise, how would people get help? It is hard for me to say in some respects, but it is becoming obvious… with the right Moral compass, people just do, it need not be legislated as a requirement.

I know I’ve not properly conveyed all my ideas… some of you will intuitively know where I am going with this and I hope I can inspire you to write a proper commentary, it need not be overly religious, but how can the godless left (not all of them are godless, not meaning to imply that, and some right are just as bad by being overzealous) possibly understand morals as we think about them when the only point of reference they use are man’s laws, laws that can be changed, and ammended almost at will…. as compared to God’s laws? Gods laws are found throughout all major reigions, there is a common thread. Only the truly godless seem to be blind to them. Freedom is one of those laws……

I feel like I’m rambling. This has been rattling around in my head with various other things and I can’t focus well enough to convey these ideas with any eloquence whatsoever. So in light of that I’ll stop…. pass the torch to someone with better literary skilss I hope.

5. Lilly says:

John welcome to AR and we’re with you all of the way! Thank you and your family for serving our country. Hey, maybe our greats grand fathers fought together during the Revolutionary war! Every time I feel like I can at least take a breath, they hit us again. But we’ll keep getting back up!

6. Jeff Schreiber says:

I’m so happy to have John aboard here. And, if y’all have a moment, I encourage all of you to take a look at John’s bio page in the still-in-progress top menu. The photo he sent me is nothing short of awesome.

7. Lilly says:

Eek! That’s a picture that makes a statement John! Sounds like you’re not to far from us. Lucky you to have Paul Ryan, we have Burris & Durbin…what ta trade?

8. Frustrated says:

Staring down Mr Pratts barrel made me feel like I did watching that House vote Sunday. Put me out of my misery. I am letting my country down.

9. William A. Rose says:

WHERE do I sign up!!!!!!!!! Welcome to AR, John.

TNelson, I get you and what you were trying to say. Religion is a bad thing. Christianity, on the other hand, isn’t just a set of beliefs, it is a way of life. Otis sang it – A little tenderness, we gotta try.

Anyway, to take our country back may very well require more than the ballot box. There are many reasons why. The Left is nuts. The Right is weak. The Politicians are not in it for We The People. They are in it for their own gain. A message needs to be sent to all politicians that they have their power at our discretion and that they serve us. That, chiefly, is what I believe has been lost.

10. Let us sing to Liberty! says:

That stamp must be the image Barry sees every morning in the mirror shaving.
    He’s poisoned the economy, international relations, and the unborn.

11. MUST WATCH says:

I want to fight so badly. I love my former country.

12. Paul Sandoe says:

Welcome, Brother Pratt! I salute your service as well as your family’s, and I cannot help but swell with guilty pride at another fellow Patriot who is also a member of the Masonic family. I look forward to reading more from you.

Fraternally,

Paul
    Past Master of the Lodge of Stirling, Malden MA

13. carter says:

Like all of you I’m also deeply frustrated. In my morning reading yesterday I came across the 8th and 9th verses of the second chapter of Jonah. That’s where I am choosing to live. We will know what to do. In the meantime have you read the statement by a Doctor who refuses to comply? It is found here:
    looking, looking…. can’t find the link but here is the text:

An M.D. in family practice passed along this letter she sent to her patients after Obamacare became law. She relates that, so far, “100% of those who have contacted me about it have supported me and accepted the new conditions.”

March 23, 2010

My Dear Patient,

As you must know, Congress has just passed extensive legislation governing health care delivery and insurance systems. Whether you agree with what it does or not, we are all now subject to this law and its sweeping changes.

I have always conducted my medical practice with my patient’s best interests as my first priority. Although not legally obliged to do so, I have routinely provided you with a receipt that has all the codes necessary to bill your own health insurance company for any reimbursement to which you are entitled. Until now, that insurance company was a free enterprise despite the fact that it was heavily regulated by state and federal laws. Now the situation is quite different. Through the new law’s mandates, regulatory powers and reform, health insurance is and will be largely a government activity which will have an ever larger jurisdiction over how doctors practice, make clinical judgments and are paid.

The new law provides for about 150 new government agencies, many of which are designed to be ‘oversight’ bureaucracies which will have the right to decide what medical care is legal to provide through insurance. Among other things, they will have the right to review my medical care of you and read your medical record. Now, as soon as you submit our economic transaction to your insurance company for reimbursement, you have involved me in these regulations and put me in the jurisdiction of government for my activities, decisions and behavior as your doctor.

No one can have two masters. Either I can serve you as my patient or I can serve the government. Either I can continue to make your welfare and health my only concern, including the protection of your privacy and medical records, or I can abide by ever-increasing amounts of government regulations and dictates to my decisions. I can’t do both. I choose to continue to follow my conscience and practice medicine to serve you.

For this reason, I am responding to the situation created by this new law by exercising my right not to participate in any health insurance program. I will still provide you with the same medical services that I always have, but the interaction will be exclusively and privately between you and me. This means that I will provide you only with a receipt for the services you have paid for, but without the additional information that is required to submit your receipt for reimbursement to your health insurance company. That is the only way I can make sure there will be no conflict between following the law and serving you. Because the law is now in effect, so must these changes be to my practice.

Sincerely,