What’s In a Logo? **UPDATED**

Washington Times: Missile Defense Agency Logo Takes Cue From Obama Campaign ’08?

From a joint named “weaselzippers” (great name) via the Washington Times, here’s something I just don’t quite know what to make of.

There’s a new logo in use for the Missile Defense Agency.  The old one was straight-forward.  It had Earth, it had sky, it had the colors of the Soviet flag forming the intercepted missile.  The new one … well, look for yourself:

OLD LOGO

NEW LOGO

LOOK FAMILIAR?

I don’t quite know what to make of it.  There is a distinct similarity between the new Missile Defense Agency logo and the logo used by President Obama during his 2008 campaign.  I also see an Islamic crescent in the new logo, albeit a blue one.

Is Barack Obama looking to co-opt missile defense?  Highly unlikely, considering how he prioritizes it.  Could it just be coincidence, combining red, white and blue with a stylized version of the previous logo?  It seems unlikely.

Whatever the reason may be, I don’t like it.  I’m with the folks at the Times — it should be changed. Pronto.

**UPDATE**

E-mails to the Missile Defense Agency about the logo have been returned with the following explanation:

This design was developed three years ago for use on a variety of recruiting materials at universities, job fairs and other recruiting venues. It has not replaced the official Missile Defense Agency heraldry prominently displayed on our website as well as on all Agency news releases, fact sheets and other information materials.  It also has no connection to any political entity or campaign, and was developed well in advance of the 2008 election.

Now, I cannot say that I like the design, but I was certainly wrong to take the assumptions that it had something to do with this president and run with it.  My apologies, folks.

Comments

1. whats_up says:

Why should it be changed?

2. Gail B. says:

I don’t like it, either. It gives my stomach a queazy feeling, for some reason or another.

Those red stripes resemble a hand, with the top one representing a thumb. And, what is the hand doing? Supporting the Islamic crescent.

So, what do we do about it?

3. Proof says:

I think the uncanny similarity to an Islamic Crescent bears commenting upon as well!

4. DH says:

The original logo was just fine. This new one must have been done with stimulus money…. looks like a bleeding toenail.

5. Adam says:

The logo was created 3 years ago. I’d say that derails your conspiracy theory just a little. Unless of course time travel is part of Obama’s secret Muslim agenda? That would explain how Obama caused the downturn as well. The pieces are all coming together…

6. Gail B. says:

Washington Post story on this:

Love the last line in their story!

7. Jeff Schreiber says:

Adam — got a link? If I’m wrong in such a way, I’ll definitely cop to it.

Thanks.

Jeff

8. Andrea says:

This is for What’s up and ThinkingMeat…(aptly named).and any others who agree with their comments: The crescent and star have been commonly used Islamic symbols since 1453. Call my dislike of this new logo Islamophobia if you want, I prefer to call it pride in America. We are tired of the continual presidential deference to Muslims ….and are becoming increasingly aware of the subtle yet flagrant ways this president is showing his fidelity to them. There are millions of our dollars being wasted on showing Muslims his subversive support, and this is one of them. The Islamabad Embassy presently under construction will cost us 850 million for one…(and no American jobs) The Gitmo debacle continues…a huge unnecessary expense. He has shut down our NASA program…1700 jobs lost in Houston alone..besides loss of American pride in our space innovation. He continues to apologize for America. He has done very little to create American jobs…while continuing to allow funding to one of the most corrupt government agencies, ACORN, and defends his use of his czars, who are consitutionally questionable in the positions he alone created for them. The money being wasted on the census is becoming an absurdity, for instance, the fortune cookie fiasco…not to mention the exorbitant tv ads during the superbowl. And these temporary census government jobs I am sure have been counted toward the totals of jobs he has created to decrease unemployment….but short-lived in effect. Kinda reminds me of the scenario of fiddling while Rome burns. How can you be pro-Obama when he shows such little respect for our heritage. He definately wants to change America….it is becoming increasingly obvious he has no loyalty to it.

9. Adam says:

Even WND won’t bite much on this story:

“That’s our official logo,” Lehner said. “The other one was just developed for recruiting materials years before the Obama campaign. We’re trying to attract a younger workforce because we want to get kids out of college. Instead of using the official shield, a company that the agency hired in Washington, D.C., to do recruiting stuff developed that logo.”

For a little more proof you can see these images from the company who made the new site last updated Tue, 06 Jan 2009 03:00:01 GMT:

Or this logo from the site itself last updated Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:49:10 GMT:

So unless Obama had this logo changed while he was taking a break from the election win I’d say the quote above about the logo having nothing to do with Obama is accurate.

10. Jeff Schreiber says:

Thank you, Adam. I’ve seen the same now from e-mails returned by the MDA.

I don’t like being wrong. And I certainly don’t like being proven wrong by WND. Thankfully, I’m not wrong very often.

Thank you again for setting me straight.

Jeff

11. bedubious says:

Don’t take their explanation at face value. Do some digging. Ask for the proof that this was commissioned years ago… there will be records of the order and the payment for the design service. Make them prove it.

12. Karen says:

I looked on the Missile Defense Agency website home page and, in spite of the comment from the MDA that “It has not replaced the official Missile Defense Agency heraldry prominently displayed on our website as well as on all Agency news releases, fact sheets and other information materials” this logo IS prominently displayed at the top of the MDA web page.

13. Michelle Zhang says:

Maybe it happened the other way around? Obama saw this and like it, and then modeled his off of it?

14. Houston, we REALLY have a problem says:

The logo SHOULD be a missile going up in smoke, like this administration is.

15. Buck Rogers says:

Also on the topic of rockets and such…..
    Our forward thinking government puts up a space station, and now we will have no way to get to it….. ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Trackbacks

1. [...] WATB Jeffie Schreiber says I can’t use the L-word to describe him. Fine. This time, I’ll just call him what he is: a fucking moron. [...]