Almost An ‘I Told You So’

Reuters: New U.S. Senator Helps Democrats Advance Jobs Bill

A modest job-creation bill advanced in the U.S. Senate on Monday as the chamber’s newest Republican bucked his party and sided with Democrats on a $15 billion package of tax cuts and highway spending.

Republican Scott Brown joined four other Republicans, 55 Democrats and two independents to overcome a procedural hurdle that sets up a final vote later this week.

Brown was widely hailed as a conservative hero after his surprise victory in Massachusetts last month gave Republicans enough seats to block most Democratic legislation.

His election prompted President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats to call for increased bipartisanship, and an earlier version of the bill was written with Republican input.

But key Republicans withdrew their support after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid scaled it back.

Brown said the bill was not perfect but would help put people back to work.

“I hope my vote today is a strong step toward restoring bipartisanship in Washington,” he said in a statement.

I cannot claim that this is a full-blown “I told you so,” as I only privately voiced my concerns about the conservative bona fides of Scott Brown, too caught up in the Massachusetts victory to do otherwise.  For a long time now, though, I’ve acknowledged the habit among those of us on the right to look for a leader to emerge.  We want a new Ronald Reagan, and like teenage girls who get winked at by the new boy in school, we tend to develop an infatuation.

So, in the wake of Brown’s victory, when a smitten political right was ready to hand him the 2012 nomination, I couldn’t help but shake my head.

In truth, what I’ve seen from the GOP over the past year has been inspiring.  And it’s been done without one person at the forefront. And when the time finally comes for someone to emerge at the front of the pack and for us to align behind him or her, we need to be sure that we’re looking at a track record of conservatism that is a little lengthier than one campaign season.

When it comes to finding the new face of the American right, we need to look at the Jim DeMints, the Mike Pences, the Haley Barbours and others who have proven over a long, long period of time that they always err on the side of limited government.  We should also pay attention and be open to people like Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin and others who either are newer to the scene and have shown a perspective rooted in conservative values from the start, or who have had a Come to Jesus moment and have for years and years advocated conservatism on its merits.

What we cannot afford to do is to fall into political lust with someone.  I can’t write off Scott Brown because of this vote, but he never should have been written in as a failsafe conservative in the first place.  Only track record can show that.

Comments

1. John Feeny says:

Look, I don’t want to turn around and go the other way on this, but based on the manner in which the Left operates in this country – deception and reverse psycholgy – I certainly hope we haven’t been taken. I truly hope it wasn’t a method of assuring themselves that their agenda gets through.

2. Amy says:

Well, it’s not surprising at all. Brown himself said the Republicans couldn’t count on him for every vote.

The other day, I heard someone say that when voting for someone like Brown (or McCain), don’t consider it to be voting for the lesser of 2 evils but voting to limit the spread of evil. Frankly, voting for someone with so many progressive tendencies doesn’t do much to stop the spread of evil either.

I wonder how long it will take for Brown to become the next Arlen Spector.

3. Amy says:

John Feeny, you could be right. This administration is known for doing things like that.

Speaking of which, I just read an article at The American Spectator that said the White House is being accused of a federal crime in the Spector and Bennet races.

4. Rick M. says:

Man, I thought I had voted for a fiscal conservative. I recall at the rallies that he would vote on things that were good for Massachusetts. Well this jobs bill is a squat in the the bucket and I’m afraid its not going to really help the Jobs problem here in Mass anyways. I feel jilted at this point. On the other hand this may be one of those easy to swallow votes so that he doesn’t appear to be all no.. Scott we voted for you to say no right now as we are under socialist attack…. Just my scattered thoughts for now.

5. Boston Blackie says:

Rick- I agree with your analysis of his vote. I was not surprised since he mentioned during a meet and greet in So. Boston over the weekend that he’ll probably vote for it because of the tax breaks. He needs to learn to hold out for more givebacks from the democRATS, never accept the first offer. We certainly don’t need another Olympia Snowe down there.
    Hey Scott, You were the one who said the original stimulus bill did not create one new job. What makes you think this one will be any different. The private sector is holding off hiring because nobody knows what new taxes on businesses will be pushed through by this administration. These temporary bandaids will not stop the bleeding. I have not shut the door on Brown YET but I have put the chain on the door since I am now very leery after this. We voted him in to be fiscally conservative, screw everything else for now!

Jeff- “I only privately voiced my concerns about the conservative bona fides of Scott Brown”
    You need to remember what passes for conservative in mASSachusetts is considered liberal in most parts of this country. Brown better get back to his roots or I for one will not vote for him in two years.

6. Chuck H says:

I think Boston Blackie is just plain STUPID. I own a small business. If I get more orders than I can fill with the number of employees I currenty have working, I will hire more. Its simple! If they make me more money than they cost me(I have a mutiple I use), they are hired. What I might be paying in future additional taxes does not enter into my calculations. If I can make money today, I will hire. If future payroll taxes and insurance costs go up high enough to offset what I make on an employee, that I will fire. My personal income tax rate is not a factor.

7. Gail B. says:

Nothing like a bunch of Yankees “to call a kettle…a kettle!” (Quote is from one of your gifted contributors. Couldn’t have said it better myself!) :^)

8. Boston Blackie says:

Hey Chuck H-
    Be careful what you wish for, I’ll bet there is some fine prints in the bill stating that you can not lay off the new hires for a certain amount of time whether you still need them or not. I too work in the private sector. At our small business, we have been hiring temps when needed to get us over the hump for the time being. I suggest YOU look again at your payroll taxes and unemployment taxes etc. before you make that first new hire. Also, what is the government considering “an unemployed” person. If the person has taken a lower paying job or part time job does that mean you can’t hire them to get the tax break!?!

9. Boston Blackie says:

P.S. Chuck-
    Please check back in six months and let us know how it is working out for you. I wish you only the best in your business but I am sceptical of this bill helping anyone but the unions and public sector government positions.

10. Rick M. says:

Scott Brown messed up period! He needs to keep to his promises and really listen to those of us who vote him in! The MAJORITY voted him in because we wanted a change of the same ole voting practices of the pin head Kennedy. Had I known Scott would have behaved like an Olympia Snowe / Rhino I would have ran …. I owne a chevy pick up too!!!! The other problem is that Scott is from the city areas of Boston. Most of his votes came from the Suburbs people who have a different conservative stripe than those in the general Boston area. I hope he is listening when I finish my draft letter to him next week. He needs to abandon the traditional New england liberalism that has caused the cancer in this state and country. I’m sorry to all from across the country who sent money to his camapaign. Have no regrets though it may have been worse with Croakly!

11. Rick M. says:

PS Gail somehow I miss what you are saying. Can you explain yourself? OH the dog is cute I have that breed myself and it doesn’t yip and yap like most democrats.

12. Boston Blackie says:

Ditto Rick – The response here in MA to Brown’s vote is one of outrage as I am sure you know. As my 77 year old mother said yesterday “I hope we didn’t replace a wino with a rino”.

13. birther1957 says:

I was excited when Mass. elected Scott Brown but then I read he was Obamas 10th cousin. Kind of makes you wonder. He may not be as bad as Kennedy was but he looks like he could be persuaded. I hope I’m wrong cause we need BIG change in this country. Lets just hope and pray he pulls through.

14. Jeff Schreiber says:

If I remember correctly, Dick Cheney is also distantly related to Barack Obama. So much for that rationale.

15. birther1957 says:

Jeff
    I know Cheney is also related to Obama. That’s why during Senate Confirmation Cheney never asked if anyone objected. I believe all of our government is in on this New World order deal. Thats why they are just doing a little at a time. I’ve read all about the Bilderberg Group and the Trilatural. It’s coming it’s just a matter of time.

16. Rick M. says:

I was shocked to hear that Scott was a relative of Obama. I really don’t care and I think Scott doesn’t either. I do however think that anyone who serves is likely to be tempted to do what the body politic wants them to do. This is where character matters. Here in MA as soon as Scott took office an ad came out telling him to step up for Green.. These people who put this ad on were liberals. They made this ad as if we all agreed to it and that Scott should adhere to it because of this. I said phoey it should have been in my veiw.. Scott now that your there step up against this horrid administration… Anyways I hope Scott votes with republicans 98% of the time and that this last vote was just a tease for the liberals…. Oh and Black Boston your grandmother is right !..

17. Rick M. says:

I happen to watching the Health Care summit.. what a joke! In the very beginning Lamar asks the President to scrape the idea or notion of reconcilation. Obama ignored it passed it on to Reid…now why didnt the Republican delegation not walk out right then and there?…ARG