Digging Out in Philadelphia

That was yesterday. A whole lot of no fun. Our house, which received nearly 30 inches of snow from last weekend’s nor’easter, received another foot-and-a-half on Wednesday.

No photograph or video could ever do it justice. And we’re facing another go-round on Monday, from the storm currently ready to dump six to 12 inches of snow on the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

There was a lot of shoveling, there was lost power and a lost cable television signal, and a fun moment when I accidentally introduced our giant Craftsman snowblower to the rear, driver’s side door of our 2008 Hyundai Elantra.  If we weren’t ready to move to Charleston, South Carolina before, we certainly would have been by now.

On the bright side of all of this, because school was closed and courts were closed in Philadelphia–not only on Wednesday but again today–I have been at home with my wife, a super-excited three-year-old, and a very happy if not a little cabin-feverish Brittany.  Yesterday was a little too snowy, and with the power outage left us without a way to watch the movies we rented.  Today, however, is ripe for sledding and snowman-creation.

Another welcome side effect of winter storms gone wild–South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint tweeted yesterday that the snow will continue “until Al Gore cries ‘uncle’”–is that the federal government is closed for business.  There’s something to be said about the state of our nation when a governmental snow day is good for America.  I for one, wish they wouldn’t go back to work until spring.

What has been funny, though, is that everywhere you seem to go, whether it be down the street to talk to a shovel-wielding neighbor, or at the gas station for a cup of needed coffee, or at the top of a too-close-for-comfort tree-lined sledding hill, everyone seems to have the same disdain for one thing — and it’s not Mother Nature.

“Gloooobaaaaal Waaaaaarmingggg!!” That was what one forty-something, likely frost-bitten dad screamed as he flew past me in an inflatable snow tube, as I lugged a child and a plastic sled up the aforementioned hill.

“Maybe all the emissions from my snowblower will cause some more global warming and get rid of some of this snow,” said one neighbor of mine, a volunteer firefighter, as he took a break from clearing the sidewalk in front of his house.

It’s ridiculous.  We all know it.  And as poll after poll shows us that Americans simply don’t register man-made climate change–real or not–anywhere near the top of their list of concerns should tell us that the very same movement which just a few years ago brought thousands together for rock music concerts worldwide has lost steam, and has been exposed as a fraud by hacked emails, dissenting scientists, and plain ole’ common sense.  The hardly unexpected assertion that this year’s heavy winter actually confirms the danger of climate change will fall on disbelieving ears.

In the meantime, all politics aside, we’re going to continue to dig out and we’re going to try to have fun doing it. After all, this is our final winter in Philadelphia, and it is the snowiest winter on record.  Might as well make the best of it.

Here are a few photos of our house, our street, and how we’ve been passing the time:

Comments

1. Boston Blackie says:

Can’t say I am sorry that we missed both storms here in Boston, just a dusting yesterday. I lived through the Blizzard of ’78. I as well as 2 friends turned 18 during the blizzard so we walked over a mile to the only open local bar so we could have our first legal drink (I know, you weren’t even born so you can google it)! You will never forget the particulars of your Blizzard of ’10. You have made lifelong memories for your family that are priceless. At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, how bad can winters be in South Carolina!?!

2. Trudi says:

You all received our winter. LOL…40 degrees and brown here in West Jordan, Utah. You could send a little bit back this way.

3. David says:

We’re currently going through the storm in the DF/W area and have already gotten 6″ with more falling. This is quite an experience for me having grown up on the Texas gulf coast – the most snow I saw growing up was 1/2 inch or so! I can hardly imagine 3+ feet like you got up there. My wife has posted some pictures on her site.

Hope y’all don’t get too buried up in PA! I have ot agree that a federal government snow day is great for America! Take care.

David

4. Lilly says:

Have fun making some great unforgettable memories. My son in the Navy in PA said the base has been closed for 2 days and is enjoying playing in the snow with his wife from FL!

5. Michelle Zhang says:

Woah. That’s what you sound like?

And I think I got more snow than you…somehow…

6. Boston Blackie says:

Hey Jeff,
    Maybe you can sell some of your snow to the Olympics in Canada. Talk about selling snow to an Eskimo haha. Remember, your spring is right around the corner in PA. Up here in New England spring doesn’t arrive until almost June most years.

7. Old Bob says:

Now, let me tell you about the hurricane of ’38. Lived in Hartford, CT, at the time and watched the roofs blowing off buildings. Then there was the blizzard of ————.

Old Bob

8. That’s pretty much what I remember Buffalo NY looking like all winter. We moved to Virginia a long time ago. We were in Buffalo for the “Blizzard of ’77″ and in Virginia for their “Snowstorm of ’79″ and heck, I was even in Pittsburgh for their record snowstorm in 1950. I remember watching folk getting off the bus coming home from work and stepping into an unexpected three feet of snow, when they had gone to work in the morning with no boots.

9. Amy says:

I guess getting that much snow does have a downside.

Here in the Dallas area it is still snowing! I haven’t seen snowfall like this since I was 12. When it snows here, it’s usually a dusting and doesn’t even stick. Schools are already closed for tomorrow.

I was hoping a few days ago that we’d get some real snow so my 3 kids could have fun in it. We’ve been out 3 times already. Lacking real snow clothes, it gets cold and wet pretty quick, but it has been tons of fun. Everything is more fun when you get to do it with your kids.

10. PP says:

Wow! It’s beautiful before it turns black and sooty. Enjoy the novelty of it.

11. Gail B. says:

Beautiful pictures!

Incredible snow banks!

Have you lost weight?

It was 50 degrees in Georgia today, but we’re expecting icy stuff starting tomorrow morning and could get a couple of inches of sleet, snow, and/or freezing rain.

I loaded up on hot chocolate yesterday.

12. Gail B. says:

Snow expected on Savannah, GA, beach Friday.

13. William A. Rose says:

Hi Jeff,

I bet your daughter was on cloud 9 in that picture. How’d the introduction go between the snow blower and the car? I hope they hit it off! I’ve never known a shy snow blower.

Make snow angels and snow men! Lots and lots.

14. Al Gore is a joke says:

Even down here in Elvis land, Memphis TN, there’s a a whole lotta slipping going on. I am quite sick of it.

15. William A. Rose says:

Oh, and the video you made was cool too. You are right – that is insane! Lotta fun potential in it though.

16. sharon says:

It is absolutely beautiful!.. Of course that much snow puts a damper on things for awhile.

17. Dee says:

Have fun with your family. I sit here in a Pittsburgh suburb with about 28-30 inches of snow outside. As I now look out the window, I see flakes coming down. I keep hoping they are blowing off the trees. Fat chance. The schools have been closed for the week. Our neighbor went away for the week and lent us his snow blower. What a blessing that was! My husband and 2 other neighbors with snow blowers cleared the majority of driveways in the neighborhood. It is beautiful. It also amazes me that we survived the closing of DC. I didn’t think we could live without their watching out for us. Of course, I’m joking. You’ll miss all this when you live in the south but we will think of you on the cold days. Enjoy.

18. Jeff Schreiber says:

“Woah. That’s what you sound like?”

Yep. Well, sort of — I was being blasted by blowing snow at the time. But still, that’s why I don’t do radio or television.

19. Boston Blackie says:

Hey Jeff – At least you don’t have an annoying Philly, New York or worst of them all a Boston accent (like me)!!

20. Boston Blackie says:

Jeff-
    You (and more importantly John Feeney) will be glad to know that I saw the first sign of spring today!!
    No, I am not talking about the crocuses. The Red Sox moving van left Fenway Park today heading to Florida loaded with the team’s equipment, uniforms and such.
    The long dark days of winter are almost over – WHOOP WHOOP

21. Jan says:

You have what we’ve had in North Idaho for a few years. We have none, zero, nada this year but flurries now and then. We’re thinking it’s pay back time for DC and they are such wimps we can’t believe it. We lived in the South for 20 years and we tell people here that it was because we didn’t know any better! There is a better way to live and it’s not with the horrible heat and humidity never mind all the Damn Yankee comments we got so tired of hearing So good luck with living down there. God luck with selling your home and all that goes with that. Read AR all the time! Thanks for all you do for all of us!

22. TELLING IT LIKE IT IS says:

Forget the weather for just a few minutes, and watch Obama sing about what he REALLY IS.

Forward this to everybody, conservative and progressive.

23. Gail B. says:

Jeff, I was serious when I asked you if you had lost weight.

Michelle Zhang, Jeff was on a blog talk radio program one time, and you shouldn’t be fooled by his “off air” voice in the video. Jeff has a great broadcast voice (when he WANTS to sound good).

We ended up with six inches on Friday, and the wind chill is wicked for Southerners today. This Friday it will be a balmy 57 degrees. I may go swimming!

I’m so thankful I live in the South!

24. Jeff Schreiber says:

I wish, Gail. I need to drop about forty pounds. Well, forty would be ideal.

To be honest, the voice is unimpressive. I’m no James Earl Jones.

25. Gail B. says:

Well, you don’t have the COUNTRY Southern accent that plagues me. I was the last student to get out of speech class at St. Mary’s!

26. Michelle Zhang says:

I just want to say that I actually liked Jeff’s voice and I think even in the video he could totally do broadcast with that voice.

I was just surprised because I imagined his voice being different for some reason.