An Egregious Lapse in Judgment

Pretend, for a moment, that you are a dad.  It’s one of those lazy Sundays of summer, and you decide to bring your four-year-old son with you to the local supermarket.

“I have to go potty,” the boy says, doing that funny little dance that all kids do.  And so you park your cart at the front of the store, and escort him into the men’s room.

While in the bathroom you discover that, as your son is in the stall and taking care of his business, a store employee in the adjacent stall has reached under the common wall and is running his hand along the boy’s thigh.  Reacting as any father would do, you kick open the employee’s stall and, in an effort to stop him from molesting your son, you punch him straight in the mouth.

Then, imagine that both you and the employee are charged — the employee with indecent assault and battery on a child, you with assault and battery.  It would boggle the mind, wouldn’t it?

Well, ask Jason Beatrice.  On Sunday, June 1, 2008, Beatrice and his four-year-old son were shopping at Market Basket, a supermarket in Raynham, Massachusetts.  According to the Taunton Daily Gazette, while Beatrice’s son was in the bathroom stall, standing on a bucket so he’d be tall enough to use the toilet, 71-year-old Valerio Rodriguez–an illegal immigrant from Guatemala working in the grocery store–reached under the shared wall from an adjoining stall and touched the boy “high on the leg.”  Beatrice felt as though Rodriguez, who later told police through an interpreter that he was “just fooling around,” posed a threat to his son, so he broke down the door and punched him.

Rodriguez was charged with felony indecent assault and battery on a child, but was released and promptly fled to Guatemala.  He wasn’t even fired by the supermarket, and was spotted by Beatrice a month later “pushing a mop bucket” and “smiling at children.”  Beatrice was charged with assault, but had that charge later dropped and faced only a reduced charge of battery because Rodriquez skipped the country.  The Raynham Police Chief, Lou Pacheco, stated that Rodriguez was not arrested and held because he “posed no threat to the public,” and said that he was “shocked” that the illegal Guatemalan immigrant missed his arraignment.  On the charges remaining against Beatrice, the Massachusetts Attorney General had this to say:

“We can’t have people taking the law into their own hands.  The father should have waited for police.”

That Massachusetts Attorney General was Martha Coakley, currently running as a Democrat for the late Ted Kennedy’s former Senate seat in the Bay State.

That’s right.  Never mind, for a moment, that Valerio Rodriguez was an illegal immigrant and had no legal right whatsoever to be in the United States of America–nonetheless Raynham, Massachusetts–to begin with.  Forget about that for a second and concentrate on the fact that Martha Coakley, future senator from the great state of Massachusetts if the Democrats have their way, felt as though Jason Beatrice, whose son was being molested in a supermarket bathroom by the aforementioned illegal immigrant who had no legal right whatsoever to be in the country to begin with, was the one at fault in that case.  According to Martha, Beatrice should have left his son in the bathroom with Valerio Rodriguez, called the police, and waited for them to arrive and intervene.

I don’t even know where to begin. I don’t know whether or not I should be more incensed about Coakley’s attitude toward illegal immigrants and immigration, or about her perspective and logic when it came to a father defending her son.  (Apparently, because the child had run out of the stall, she later insisted, Rodriguez was no longer a threat.)  Both are hallmarks of typical liberal thought, that our immigration laws don’t matter and that only the government can be responsible for the safety and security of the people.

The thing is, as former Massachusetts resident and occasional America’s Right contributor Sam Fain pointed out to me — it’s Massachusetts.

“I’d venture that most people agree with her,” Sam said.  “I’ve talked to very intelligent and truly good people about that case and that quote. They agree with her. The reasoning is that the kid made it out of the stall, and so the assault was already over, so the father was not actually stopping the assault, but retaliating for it. Thus, in their minds, the punch was unjustified. How you can tell that to (and charge) a father whose son was just assaulted, I don’t know, but that’s just how they think.”

Alas, Massachusetts.  Let’s hope that the people of the Bay State don’t have a similar egregious lapse in judgment on January 19, and that they elect Scott Brown and bring a modicum of common sense back to that state.

Comments

1. CJBernard says:

Wow. Talk about poor priorities.

2. we ARE our children's keeper, protector says:

imagine if Dad did not go in with son?
    child in all probability would never
    have told dad, but would be traumatized.

parents at home might be totally confused
    about the childs sudden fear of public bathrooms\
    and their behavioral patterns in particular.

another dad might have left him with just enough
    breath to hold on to life.

3. we ARE our children's keeper, protector says:

blame an unconcerned President, head of HOmeland Security,
    Governor of State, Owner/manager of Supermarket.

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CHILD IN ANY SITUATION AT ANY TIME!
    a child should have the right to go to a restroom without
    fear of being raped, fondled or anything else.

free-border crossing without any monitoring of knowing who is
    coming in is a huge factor here.

4. GET COAKLEY OUTTA THERE says:

“According to Martha, Beatrice should have left his son in the bathroom with Valerio Rodriguez, called the police, and waited for them to arrive and intervene.”
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    delicatley put, makes one want to PUKE!

5. GET COAKLEY OUTTA THERE says:

“I’d venture that most people agree with her,” Sam said. “I’ve talked to very intelligent and truly good people about that case and that quote. They agree with her. The reasoning is that the kid made it out of the stall, and so the assault was already over, so the father was not actually stopping the assault, but retaliating for it. Thus, in their minds, the punch was unjustified. How you can tell that to (and charge) a father whose son was just assaulted, I don’t know, but that’s just how they think.”
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    WHEN GROWN ADULTS TAKE THE SIDE OF OBVIOUSLY OBVIOUS ADULTS IT MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE, quite possibly right onto them. THIS ALONE IS A REASON TO REMOVE SOMEONE FROM ANY JOB REPRESENTING ANY ONE.

6. Speechless.

7. Psydog says:

I would have given him a swirly. That’s shove his head in the toilet and flush!!!

8. Alex Tenerife says:

The dad may not have stop the assault as it happened but surely I hope that punch will resonate to that mans mind before attempting to do it again in the future. I’m speechless! this is a Liberal PC crazyness.

9. William A. Rose says:

I fear I would have not stopped at one punch.

it is up to us to protect ourselves and our loved ones. Not the government. This world is on it’s way down the tubes and we’ve probably already crossed the event horizon on that path.

I think Beatrice shoudl have been lauded for his actions. Once the little boy understands why Daddy knocked the hell outta that man, Daddy will be a hero. For life. And that is a good thing.

10. Walter M Kelliher says:

My step dad and I didn’t get along. But about 9 or 10 years old, I had a very similar incident happen to me in a darkened movie theater. I got away by telling this thing that I had to go to the bathroom, and sneaking out because he didn’t come with me. When I got home my parents asked me why I was home so early so I told them. My dad told me to go out and get into the car which I did. By the expression on his face, I didn’t dare not to! The guy wasn’t there by the time we got back, a good thing for him! My dad was an ex Marine corp sgt! IThink the guy would’ve gotten more than a punch in the mouth and for once, I’d have been rooting him on! He survived over in Korea and in many a bar room brawl, so if that child molester had gotten at minimum a fractured skull it wouldn’t have surprised me that day, and my dad used to drink with a lot of the local police, so the likely hood of my dad ending up in jail would’ve been minimal and that “fella” would’ve been lucky if he hadn’t caught another beating in the back of the”Black Maria” on the way down to the station, and knowing the police in our community, the paper wor would’ve been lost so there wouldn’t have even been a “report of the incident” taking place!

11. John Feeny says:

If these people truly believe in their mindset and do not say such flagrantly outrageous, whacko, outside the bounds-of-everyday-reality things merely for some sort of ‘superiority’ expediency, then it’s too late for them. They’ve passed the point of no return and can no longer see what they’re doing to their own lives. The question that must be asked, however, is whether it’s too late for us.

12. Boston Blackie says:

That is just the tip of the iceberg with Coakley. AS DA of the largest county in MA, she refused to prosecute a police officer who had raped his niece with a curling iron, a damn CURLING IRON. He was a union rep, could that have had anything to do with her decision. As lead prosecutor, she also was responsible for putting away a mother, daughter and son on groundless charges of multiple charges of rape in the infamous Fells Acre Day Care. Google that or Gerald Amirault and you will be shocked. His mother and sister spend over a decade in jail, he TWO decades. All because of a witch hunt during the early 80′s even though the day care had been open for years without any complaints. The charges were some of the most heinous ever made. However, they were also false. Supposedly Gerald dressed up as a clown and assaulted the children in a secret or magic room. Some children claimed to be sodomized with two foot knives and lobsters. Some of the acts allegedly took place on the front lawn in full view of the highway. There was not a shred of physical evidence ever presented.
    When Martha Coakley became district attorney of Middlesex County in 1999, the Amiraults were still in the news. But by this time hardly anyone believed they were guilty of the crimes they were alleged to have committed. In fact there was no evidence that anyone had abused any children in the Fells Acres Day Care.
    But what did Martha Coakley do when the Parole Board voted unanimously (5-0) to pardon Gerald Amirault? She did everything in her power to see that he stayed in prison, including sending an assistant DA to oppose his release at the hearing. Coakley also went on talk shows to spout her views about his guilt.
    Nuff said- GO BROWN!!

13. sharon says:

Absolutely crazy, I am at a loss for words. What would the reaction be had the man possibly succeeded in raping the boy? Should he have waited for the police? I live in MI, but have quite a bit of extended family in MA. Beautiful state, people are nice, but MA is a different animal. It is so liberal there, worse than MI. They have so much government control I am not sure they know how to live any other way. I am embarrassed to say that about half of my family there will be voting for Coakley… Even the elderly family members. The rest will vote for Brown. My cousin is convinced Brown will win. We can only pray.

14. Lilly says:

My God! Does she have any kids? That boy should have turned and peed on the guys hand, then ran! I’m with you Jeff, there is just way to many things wrong with this story to even comment on them all. I heard another story about Coakley and a infant molester going free that is even more sick then this one.

15. MD BUTCH says:

He should have broke his neck and left him there. ANYONE who molests a child deserves the death penalty. ANY judge who lets a child molester loose should be subject to the death penalty if the child molester molests or kills another child. These people make a choice and it ruins young lives, sometimes forever. Get rid of the ACLU and NAMBLA and put in a mandatory death penalty for these perverts and eventually child molestation will be a rarety instead of a daily occurence.

16. Boston Blackie says:

Oh and one the last reminder of why Milkcarton Martha will never get my vote. Again, as DA of Middlesex County, she gave a priest who had molested children for years probation then purged his file. He then went on to molest for another 8 years before being caught again and sent to jail. As Attorney General, she refused to prosecute Cardinal Law for violating state laws that required him to report abuse. He instead just moved the NUMEROUS offenders from parish to parish. When it came to light, she allowed Law to “step down” as cardinal to avoid prosecution. The archdiocese paid put hundreds of millions in settlement money. He was then reassigned by the Vatican to Rome, nice punishment I would say wouldn’t you. Just this week, she sent out a threatening letter to the garden clubs in MA demanding they turn their bank records going back years or they will be prosecuted. These poor old ladies are now panicking that they will be arrested for spending too much on tulips and mulch. I think the timing is perfect. Let’s scare the elderly who always come out to vote right before one of the most important elections ever.
    Five days until the Second American Revolution!!

17. Greg Le says:

This is what happens when a political whore can’t see straight, and whose arrogant clouded perverted vision just doesn’t make sense to anyone else except themselves. Basically, Coakley lies to itself, doing what it thinks will win votes, vision is clouded and manipulated by this corrupt backwards thinking which caters to just getting votes and not stepping on any eggshells.

18. JAN says:

The unfortunate part of this is that if the father had left the boy in that stall to call police they would have crucified him for child endangerment or something else. There is no consistency with these people. If you react one way they will find something against it, you react the opposite way they will stll find something against you.

I’m a mama bear and anyone that is dumb enough to mess with my cubs should expect the natural consequences. Regardless of how dumb the opinions or laws may be I will not bow to them over protecting my children. They can throw me in jail for all I care. This is just plain stupidity.

19. Boston Blackie says:

Lily, Martha has no children, but she does have two labs that she loves dearly as she stated in the debate on Monday night.
    Sharon, Please do all in your power to get your relatives to see the light and vote for Brown. The whole country depends on it. Tell your elderly relatives they won’t be able to see a doctor or pay for their meds when medicare is cut back, scare the hellout of them, it’s the truth. If all else fails, tell them Joe Kennedy is THE Joe Kennedy(Teddy’s nephew)that should pull votes from Martha. The democRATS had this planned out as an easy win for them when they picked the date of the elections. The primary was sceduled for 12/8, three weeks before Christmas. The general election on 1/16, the day after a federal holiday, who would be paying attention during either election? Hey, it’s only a republican we are up against was their mindset. Of course, polling places need to be set up a day in advance so now they have to pay time and a half holiday pay for the setup and most polling places are in schools so of course the schools are closed for the day on Tuesday. This allows the teachers’ union to get their people to campaign, make calls and drive voters to the polls. It is however exploding in the face. With nothing else in the news, we have become front and center. For once in my lifetime, my vote is meaningful not just a spit in the wind.
    The video of the WS reporter being shoved to the ground while Coakley watches then denies knowing anything about it except to say it was a setup by the Brown people?? is now the icing on the cake. We have been shoved to the ground and pushed around everytime we try to get back up for too long. We are made as hell and we’re not gonna take it anymore.

20. Linda B. says:

This is so vile and corrupt.

I always thought the law protected children and as for his father hitting the guy, could it not be said he was emotionally unbalanced at the time of the incident and enough said. There is no real law in this country only the interpretation of the law by whomever is in charge. This is why our country has so much corruption – look the other way or worse.

Many years ago a very good friend told me about a book that she was given which was not available to the general public regarding this country and a plot by socialists and communists and the like to enter into every facet of American life and every occupation especially the political area, religious, financial, etc. to bring this country down. My friend was related to a priest in the Vatican who brought the book to her. It has been nearly 40 years since she told me about the information and she has left this earth almost 20 years ago, but I still remember her face and demeanor when she was telling me and she was sincere.

I believe we may well be seeing the fruits of this plan. This is just happening in far too many places and far too rapidly to be just coincidence. One of the areas she expressed concern was for the children who these people will try to corrupt in every way to win them over and continue to control them. Children must be protected and their childhood preserved in laughter and light instead of allowing them to be exposed to the vile side of life before they have the knowledge, emotional makeup, experience and moral fortitude to deal with such activities. It is time for Americans to wake up that this is not just an aberration, this is a concerted plan to destroy our freedoms and enslave us all.

Scott Brown is eloquent and stands up to the left with facts and figures. He is a man of his word and a man of action. Vote for Scott Brown.

21. sharon says:

Boston Blackie: Don’t worry, I am still working on the family. Believe it or not most of them vote Democrat out of pure habit…I am helping to make phone calls from MI and everyone I have spoken to is very polite. I have found the ones that are not a definite yes for Brown are still undecided…. good sign

22. Boston Blackie says:

I’ll be doing phone bank calling from home all weekend. Anyone interested can sign up online at
    and they will email the link to do it from home, I believe you can live out of state and still volunteer.
    All I will say is HELP!!
    Our country is depending on us.

23. Robert says:

I would still kick someone’s a_s for touching my child AND probably slap the judge after such obsurdity. What a stupid biotch.

24. 2010, 2012 says:

“Although the results show a race within the statistical margin of error, Scott Brown has surged dramatically,” said David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center. “He is attracting independent support by a wide margin and even winning some Democrats who won’t vote the party line this time.”
    Thurs 1-14-10

25. martha's got some 'splain ta-do says:

The “Pedophile Priest” Case, 1995-2002: Coakley cut secret deal in 1995 that allowed Father Geoghan to molest again.

Martha Coakley is running for the U.S. Senate in part on her track record of keeping children safe from predators. The actual facts, however, are somewhat at odds with her campaign biography.

One of the most notorious cases of homosexual child abuse in the “pedophile priests” scandal that rocked the American Catholic Church in general and the Archdiocese of Boston in particular over the past twenty years involved Father John Geoghan, who came to symbolize the cancer in the church.

26. Gail B. says:

One of my sons was sexually assaulted when he was 13, and I took him to the police department to report it. It was there that I lost my trust in law enforcement–they asked me if my son had gotten into some sort of trouble at home or at school and made up the story for sympathy or attention! Both of us just looked at the officer in disbelief of his words. My son even asked the officer, “Are you CRAZY?” Needless to say, the police did N-O-T-H-I-N-G! And, that happened in Stockbridge, Georgia.

In view of that episode and the many court cases brought in an effort to see that the United States Constitution is upheld as have been dismissed, nothing that the legal side of our governing bodies do surprises me anymore, no matter how outrageous. It is really sad.

Gail at 12:50, it’s sad, but even Glenn Beck mocks us and our simple wish to maybe view Obamas paperwork. Just a peek, come on…. that college paperwork would be so damned interesting, even if the BC is ‘kosher’. (And I admire Glenn)

28. 2010, 2012 says:

Anonymous says:
    January 16, 2010 at 9:35 am
    ________________________________________________
    ditto.
    and my guess is they are reworking that paperwork to make it appear genuine.
    my crazy guess is also they are aging some paperwork to produce a longform b.certificate.
    it is literally a shame how we americans allowed this man to sit in the oval office without proving who he is and accepting an OBVIOUS stall.

even if beck THINKS he is right where is his argument for why obama simply wont produe the document. its not to anger republicans. no, you dont shell out almost 2million just to anger republicans by keeping your info out of public domain.

this is so obvious it begs for a comedy movie. THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING?

29. 2010, 2012 says:

Gail, my heart breaks for your moments of disbelief. how do you put it into words? if i can feel some of that pain i know your heart simply sank. God be with your son always.

30. Jeff Schreiber says:

Come on, folks. Let’s deal in fact and keep the comments tied in with the piece here.

31. Ladalang says:

What’s being missed here is the father was just as much a victim as his son. I can’t imagine the psychological torture a father would have to go through to witness an old pervert molesting his son right in front of him. At the point it’s happening he’s reacting to a crime being committed on him equally. His job, his instinct, his biology is to protect his son. You can’t make laws that go against the very nature of being human. There isn’t a point where he had time to think. This situation was an immediate reaction to a crime being committed. So if the robber steals your wife’s purse and you chase him down and he falls are you the one getting charged with assault? This is just mind boggling. When did the sacred innocence of children get trumped by an illegal with no rights?

32. Gail B. says:

Jeff, I related to the incident set forth in your article, and my comment was to say that nothing that AG Coakley says or does (or law enforcement or Justice Department, for that matter) surprises me anymore. I was shocked to that degree.

I appreciate the kind words from the others. It’s good to know that there is compassion in this world. I’m not a dad; I’m a mom, and it happened soon after we moved to the town. Moving in itself is stressful, but let your kid be sexually assaulted, and you’ll do well to keep your composure.

33. 2010, 2012 says:

excellent point Ladalang. it is the same adrenalin that allows a woman to lift a car of her child in a sudden horrible accident; the same right-thing-to-do sense of morality to immediately jump into a pool to save a drowning toddler. these are inate morals given to us by God and enhanced by a moral upbringing.

who among us will see ten kids beating up on a child half their age and simply continue on walking by? isnt this what separates us from animals?

Trackbacks

1. [...] An Egregious Lapse in Judgment : America's Right [...]

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jeff Schreiber and Rick & Dee Foster, Rick & Dee Foster. Rick & Dee Foster said: An Egregious Lapse in Judgment :http://americasright.com/?p=2581 I'd have gone to jail, he'd gone to the hospital!!! [...]

3. [...] I mean, we already know she can’t spell the darned state correctly.  And we know she’s okay with bringing battery charges against a father who punched an illegal Guatemalan immigrant who was touching his son in a [...]

4. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by AmericasRight: Coakley let illegal immigrant child molester go in 2008, defended charges against father who defended molested son http://bit.ly/5X2ds4

5. [...] after someone like Khoy?  The laws were designed to rid ourselves of criminals (e.g., the types of illegal immigrant pedophiles that Martha Coakley let slip through the cracks), not college kids who make a single [...]