Merry Christmas!

It was slightly after 11:00 p.m. last night–Christmas Eve–that I was expertly playing the role of That Idiot Dad, driving around town in a peacoat and plaid pajama pants in desperate search of four more “C” cell batteries.  Finally, after a few stops, I bought the last batteries on the rack at a not-so-nearby gas station.  Any other day it might have been a headache, but there was something about the Christmas carols on the radio, the snow on the ground, and the knowledge that the following morning my daughter’s eyes would light up in a way that only Christmas morning can bring.

As I drew closer to home, Bing Crosby came across the radio singing “I’ll Be Home For Christmas.”  It made me think of the last time I hear that song, which was this past Monday as I returned home to Philadelphia from an Athens, GA wedding through the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta.  It was on the loudspeaker as we waited near the gate for our flight, and I thought it seemed a fairly cruel song to play in an airport terminal, especially considering the hundreds of military personnel we saw near the check-in counters, preparing to ship out to Afghanistan.

In a few hours’ time, I’ll have the chance to see my daughter’s face light up, to watch her marvel at the nearly empty plate of chocolate chip cookies and the empty glass of milk, and to listen to her giggle as she plays around with her battery-sucking educational videogame device.  I’m so gosh-darned lucky–we all are–that our freedom and safety and security are preserved by the brave men and women who put on that uniform and fight for America overseas.

At Hartsfield on Monday, some of the men and women looked as though they could have just graduated high school, but others were there walking with and talking with and eating with wives and husbands and children for the last time in God-knows-how-long.  On one occasion, as we walked toward the security line, I got choked up and almost lost it completely as I saw a soldier about my age kissing and talking to his wife’s very pregnant belly.  I remember the sheer joy which accompanied my daughter’s birth, and knowing that this man would miss that moment just drove home the sacrifice that each and every one of them are making.

Today, as you go to church and open gifts and watch football and argue politics over a long dining room table with not even a square inch to spare, please think of the brave American men and women currently serving overseas, and please think about the families here at home who have an empty spot at the table, who pray extra hard at church, who might leave a few wrapped presents set aside for later.  Think about what they all do for us.  Think about the sacrifice they’re all making.

On behalf of all of us at America’s Right, I’d like to wish you and your families the merriest of Christmases and a healthy, happy and prosperous new year, and I implore you to think about and pray for those who give everything so that we may live in freedom.

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Comments

1. Sally says:

Merry Christmas Jeff and family, all those who contribute to AR through blogs and comments. Merry Christmas to our troops and may God bless and watch over each of them.

P.S. I love what you have done with the site. Thanks for all the hard work!

2. 2010, 2012 says:

to all our military:
    I APPRECIATE YOU VERY, VERY MUCH AND I WISH YOU A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS despite wherever you are. I appreciate your families who sacrifice and go without you especially during these holiday times. God’s blessings to you all.

3. Just_Saying says:

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jeff, and thanks for all you do!

(BTW, please explain to me why it’s “graduated high school” instead of “graduated from high school”? It’s just something that’s always bugged me…)

4. William A. Rose says:

That mental image created by the description of the soldier kissing and talking to his baby still in the womb kinda got me too. Though I will never be able to fully grasp what it is for awoman to give birth, I can say, from experience twice over, that there is little, if anything, sweeter in this awful and cruel world than being able to witness the birth of your children.

5. John Feeny says:

Semper Fi. Merry Christmas.

6. Claudia says:

TO all these people here at AR, whom I have been talking to for almost getting close to a year and a half, and feel as though I perosnally “know”, I hope that your day and the rest of the Holdiday is a great as it can be for each of you. MERRY CHRISTMAAS to each and all….. I wish simply for each of you to have enough, enough of all the good, all the joy to fill your hearts and lives.

TO ALL OF THE MILITARY, whomever and wherever you are, no matter what you are doing, you are doing a wonderful job that deserves every bit of praise, pride and humility that you all show all the time and that we can send you way. GOD BLESS, no matter what God you believe in.
    Jeff and family, I wish you the most wonderful of Merry Christmases and the Happiest of New Years, and while I like the new site, I really liked the one with the Capitol in it. We are a nation of symbols to a certain extent and many of them are being wiped away on a daily basis, and I really appreciated the picture you had up, but I do like the new site and understand why you decided to make the changes (and why it came at such a time), many of them are to give more room for important things, and all….. It is all good, but I sure do miss the beautiful blue sky and the white of the monument. Have a wonderful family day dn enjoy ever smile from your little sweet daughter….. and especially your wife.

7. Jeff Schreiber says:

Thank you. And the logo will be back in some capacity. I need sone help from Robert on that one. When it comes to this stuff, he’s smarter than I. Heck, I still can’t believe that I got the colors done and the new site up and everything.

8. JAN says:

A very blessed Christmas to you all.

Jeff, a very heartfelt thank you for all the work you have dedicated here at AR. Thanks also must be extended to your wife for the support and understanding she gives in the amount of time and energy you expend here for us and for our nation. Tell her thanks for me.

To our military….well there just aren’t enough words to express how grateful I am for the sacrifices you and your families make every day to secure our freedom(s). May God watch over you and protect you and fill you with joy.

To all the other writers here at AR, thank you for your contributions on the issues at hand. Here we have found a common thread that we can agree and work together on.

To all those who comment here, whether we agree or disagree may your Christmas be merry and safe.

9. cher-pa says:

Merry Christmas to everyone at Americas Right.
    To Our Troops your Simply the Best!!!