Another Democrat Jumps Ship

POLITICO: “Rep. Parker Griffith Switches to GOP”

I have a serious problem praising this maneuver on an individual level. I lambasted my own senator, Arlen Specter, for switching parties for the sake of political expediency, so coming out and saying that Griffith is somehow exhibiting exceptional courage or anything of the sort . . . well, it’s going to take me a while to be able to do that.

The thing is, Griffith does have a very conservative voting record and, because of his background in the private health care industry, he certainly has proper motivation in the Democratic Party majority’s championing of their brand of health care reform. Specter was voting with Republicans for the most part–and even gave a pivotal commitment on “card check” legislation–right up until he looked at poll numbers and decided to put on a different name tag.

There is a difference here. And the effect of the majority’s conduct should not be understated. But to come out with anything other than curious optimism seems a little bit too open to hypocrisy for me.

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin has a great deal of information on Griffith HERE. Check it out, and decide for yourself.

Comments

1. Boston Blackie says:

"There is a difference here. And the effect of the majority's conduct should not be understated."

Call me jaded but could it be he is up for reelection soon and he doesn't want that scarlet letter, AKA democRAT, attached to his name on the ballot.

Does this mean there is no longer a sixty vote majority in the Senate?

3. saintseester says:

I live in that district; funny, I seem to remember flyers he sent out months and months ago about the necessity of health reform.

There is no way he'd hold that seat, blue-dog or not. It's a self-serving move, and I hope a real Republican runs against him in the primaries.

4. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Saintseester — Please tell me you've held on to those flyers!

Anony above — no, because Griffith is a congressman, not a senator.

5. William A. Rose says:

You beat me to it Jeff. Griffith isn't just a Congressman, he's a Representative! Woohoo holla holla yip yip.

Ok. No more caffeine.

Like roaches in a kitchen when a light has been thrown on em. Scurry, ya little roaches. Quit, jump parties or get the boot.

7. Chuck in San Diego says:

Griffith was quoted as saying, "Do Not Represent my Values."

I want to know if he meant HIS values or his constituent's values….

And this is another example of the Democratic and Republican parties being closely aligned in direction that it doesn't matter whose team they're on. A lot like 6th grade gym class dodgeball.

8. Merry Christmas and a happy new blog, Thanks for you faith in America

9. The Parker Griffith switch was a very good thing!

Merry Christmas.
    God Bless.
    Thanks for all of your hard work.

10. KAKS says:

Yes, thank you Jeff for your new format and for all you have done to keep us informed and updated on the most important of news and critical issues. We’re so grateful to you, and we will keep the faith that we can all continue to make the right kind of “changes” in 2010.

A blessed Christmas and New Year to you and your family.