The Great Gaffe

By JESSE CIVELLO
America’s Right

In terms of a moral standard after World War I, the roaring twenties sprung to life a culture of deceit, decline and decadence. However, the sheer growth of prosperity and standard of living during that time rivals only that of the pioneers of the gilded age. The roaring twenties were, if looking back, a fulfillment of a very conceptual and material outline of the American Dream. The earnest strides in which Americans began to establish the realism of the 20th century began to anchor a sense of pride and energy to American life.

Iconic of the post World War I and leader of the “Lost Generation,” Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald is an American literary genius. A personal favorite, Fitzgerald models his book, The Great Gatsby, on a passage that explores the wealth of human emotions and exposes the façade of the roaring twenties. After initially reading The Great Gatsby, I began to explore the American Dream and the bold yet brilliant stories that Americans have brought forward to build our country.

Built on labor, risk and determination, America is the fruition of founding fathers, optimistic brothers and daring sisters. There is much to be thankful for here in America and, as with any nation, much to ashamed of. American history has been stained by the atrocious treatment of Native Americans, slavery, and now a disgrace in our own government. With regard to the latter, look no further than the halls of Congress to witness the deceit and betrayal of the American people. Today, America faces her greatest trial yet: treason from its own Government.

The temptress of power and ravenous greed have overtaken our federal legislators, who have resorted to casting votes in the middle of the night while Americans sleep in order to better conceal the implementation of their agenda. This morning, after the 1:00 a.m. vote scheduled by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the American people will awaken to a fundamental shift in the health care system, and in one-sixth of the nation’s economy.

The final bill is likely to be voted on Christmas Eve, an early “gift” to the decline of America. Surely things have looked worse for America–the Great Depression is a great example–but the American spirit of entrepreneurship and industrial foundation which has steadily led America forward through trying times dying, and American legislators are killing the American Dream. Senate Democrats love to “ensure shared responsibility,” causing patriotic Americans who err on the side of life to be forced to pay for abortions and for health care for individuals unwilling to seek help and employment. The realism that lit the 20th century has now faded to the tyrannical glow of socialist policies and out-of-control spending.

Fitzgerald himself was said be have socialist leanings, but regardless of his politics he was a man who escaped America to write and recover from a culture that he felt was empty, hence the term “Lost Generation.” Now, the people of America must similarly be willing to take a stand, this time against a new American decline. If we do nothing now, the consequences will be immeasurable, the threats to liberty irreversible, and the decline unalterable. Do we surrender to the cruelty of one-party rule or do we vanquish our fears and make a difference? And should we choose to take that stand, where should it begin? I, for one, have always believed that reform starts at the local level, but the immediate decline of our nation under the crippling expansion of government from the top down calls for pressure on Washington. Cliché as it may seem, the need to call and email federal legislators is an avenue worth pursuing. Calling up your senators and congressional representative person holds them accountable to the people they have forgotten, and serves to remind them of our will.

Ironically enough, within The Great Gatsby Fitzgerald writes: “It takes two to make an accident.” It is certainly no accident that we have one of the most liberal senate democrats in recent history as our president and that, between our president and our liberal Congress, America is in decline. However, it was no accident that Americans ever elected President Obama in the first place — Americans were soured on big government Republican, fooled by the thrill of change, and stirred by the empty rhetoric that President Obama dispersed so well.

No longer, however, will Americans be fooled by the Obama administration and the Democrats in Congress. His poll numbers are declining rapidly, and Americans distrust the Democratic Party more and more with each passing day. The wall has been torn down, and I have one solution: vote out the “good ole’ boys” and put in the average American. If you are inspired to make a difference in government, I urge you to run for office. Don’t be fooled by titles and badges, its time we go back to a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

—————
17-year-old Jesse Civello is currently entering his junior year at Cheltenham High School outside of Philadelphia. An avowed conservative and constitutionalist, Jesse has spoken at numerous Republican Party events and meetings. His dream is to one day become a United States Senator. Jesse began writing for
America’s Right in June 2009.

Comments

Bravo, an enlightened teen. We need so many more of them (adults too for that matter).

Excellent writing, Jesse.

2. Laurie says:

Jesse, An outstanding article and I could not agree with you more…especially your final line. It is definitely time to vote ALL of them out and to start going "back to a government of the people, by the people, and for the people."

3. John Feeny says:

At 43 and considering myself on the latter end of what might be generously called – um – 'youth' – I still have a lot of fight in me, in both word and deeds. Jesse, however, truly gives me some hope for the future.

4. Stuck in a tunnel says:

Speaking of gaffes, this shows what our electric transportation future is going to be like.

Jesse, you think much like Charles Krauthammer, whom I deeply admire for his wisdom and accomplishments.

Thank you for an excellent article! You are right on all points!

6. Boston Blackie says:

Congratulations Jesse,
    You have restored my faith in the youth of America. It shows that not all high schoolers are only interested in facebook and video games, you should be very proud of yourself and your article. I would suggest you submit this article as your college entrance essay however, since most colleges are a bedrock for socialism, you may not get into any of your choices after they read it. haha
    Welcome to AR

7. La Muse Poetique says:

Don't forget the Japanese.

8. elspeth says:

Jesse,

I have a 17-year-old son who disputes almost anything I say about politics. It is refreshing to see you do otherwise.

My son is also an avid reader, and I have sent to him The Great Gaffe in hopes to open further dialogue with my son in regards to politics and my views.

Thank you for contributing at AR. I believe you lend light to our future.

I do have a question for you, as well as Bill Whittle and others that encourage everyday-Joes to run for political office. Just how is an average Joe supposed to do that? Seems near impossible to me.

Last year, a local woman was running for Governor. She got 1.4% of the Republican Primary vote. A virtual unknown to the rest of the state. Takes a lot of money, which limits the pool among the average Joes.

I know a young man very interested in pursuing a career in politics. I'd like to see him succeed — enough to campaign for him.

For that matter, I wonder how Jeff is going to do it! ;-)

It would seem better to encourage average Joes to get behind a candidate whose priorities aligned with himself or herself. Or am I missing something here?

elspeth

9. FLUSH says:

Clean House 2010
    435 NEW "REPRESENTATIVES"

10. IT IS, WHAT IT IS says:

Bribery, a form of pecuniary corruption, is an act implying money or gift given that alters the behavior of the recipient. Bribery constitutes a crime and is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in discharge of a public or legal duty. The bribe is the gift bestowed to influence the recipient's conduct. It may be any money, good, right in action, property, preferment, privilege, emolument, object of value, advantage, or merely a promise or undertaking to induce or influence the action, vote, or influence of a person in an official or public capacity.

Senators terms, 6 years. That is a longgggg time to be ignored.

10:24,

For every Jesse, there are probably 25,000 polar-bear-hugging, video-game-addicted, American-history-ignoring, bunk bed hibernators.

13. lakabon says: