SNL on Obama and Washington’s ‘Many Distractions’

Since first eviscerating President Barack Obama more than two months ago in a sketch so brutally honest about this administration that CNN felt that fact-checking was necessary to protect the beloved president, Saturday Night Live has pulled no punches in its political commentary, roasting the president as much–if not more–for his policies than for any personal idiosyncrasies.

This weekend’s opening sketch was a little less policy-centric, but it was no less funny or apropos. Centered on Michaele and Tareq Salahi’s uninvited visit to the very first state dinner held by this administration, it cast a little too much blame on the Secret Service for my taste (though it can’t be easy to implicate White House Social Secretary Desiree Rogers in the same sort of context), but it certainly upheld SNL’s continued standard of pointing out this administration’s basic incompetence.

I hope you enjoy it. I certainly did.

Comments

Before being too upset at SNL's heaping of blame on the Secret Service compare today's Secret Service with that of the Regan era, or before.

I've seen both, and today's doesn't give me a warm feeling. They used to disappear into the background. Today their egos won't permit that…they're like Barry, self impressed. I don't know for certain, but I suspet that the uniformed officers mirror the rest of the Service.

2. William A. Rose says:

Hahahahaha! Great way to wake up in the morning. I can't say I EVER watch SNL, because it's usually mindless lunacy (in my opinion). This was good though. Hmmm. I wonder if me not liking Osama Obama and being predisposed to enjoying things that cast him as the incompetent person he is had anything to do with my liking this skit. Nawww, surely not.

Too funny!!! Thanks for a great start to my work week.

Sally

4. T.I.M. says:

Desiree Rogers, Chicago chum and major fund-raiser, is protected while Secret Service agents take the fall (sound like Pelosi skating while the CIA is attacked as dishonest?)

Since Republicans have been stonewalled in their attempts to get Obama's ear, maybe the Salahi's can gives some tips on actually getting within earshot of Pres. Rockstar.

5. AT LEAST SANTA CHECKS HIS LIST TWICE says:

Hope & Change……

seems if you HOPE hard enough, the Secret Service will CHANGE their criteria for access to the free worlds figurehead leader.

William A. Rose, SNL is one show that I just do not watch either; however, the opening skits are becoming quite entertaining!

Sarah and I were playing a relaxing version of cards when SNL came on; she had turned off the TV after the news, but I knew that Jeff would come through for us if this week's skit was a "good one."

Thanks, Jeff! Perhaps SNL might be worth watching a bit more regularly–at least its opening segment!

That was funny!

William A. Rose –

Good Lord! What are you doing up at 5:30 in the morning?! Was your house on fire? I pried myself out of the sack about 10 a.m.

THE SECRET SERVICE IS OFFENDED!!

I can't believe you think the Secret Service needs oversight from civiians (ie. White House Social Secretary Desiree Rogers) who have absolutely no experience with security. Folowing your perverted logic, its clear why Obama couldn't follow the advice of his generals….one can only assume the generals also need civilian oversight.

Chuck

9. William A. Rose says:

Hehe Gail. I have serious heart problems. I don't sleep alot. I think I was up long before I caught this. Heart attacks are not fun. Nope, not at all.

10. Georgia Traveler says:

Michaele and Tareq Salahi are Palestinians friends of the Obama's. They even baby sat the Obama children. Look up the party that was held in California where Obama spoke against Israel before the election. If that video had gone mainstream and hadn't been suppressed Obama may have not made it into the White House.
    Even so, Obama has proven he was right when he said that he wasn't ready to be president.

What did they plan to do when it came time for dinner? I presume there are placecards for all guests? Or was this a pre-dinner cocktail party for more people than were invited to the sit-down dinner?

Well, doesn't that just make your flash fail?! The video is no longer available due to a claim of copyright by NBC! Drats!