Not Good Enough

When it comes to Maurice Clemmons and the four dead Lakewood police officers, Mike Huckabee is failing the accountability test

It was almost exactly two years ago when, in the crucial weeks in advance of the Iowa Caucus, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee suffered a major political setback when he was forced to justify his decision to advocate for the freedom of Wayne Dumond, a rapist set free by Huckabee only to rape again years later.

When news came out on Sunday that the ruthless murderer of four police officers in a Seattle area coffeehouse was indeed a former beneficiary of Huckabee’s penchant for doling out commutations and pardons with truly reckless abandon, I originally was very confused, as I mistook Maurice Clemmons with Dumond, who died back in 2005.

Clemmons, as it turns out, met his end when he encountered a single patrol officer last night and refused to show his hands. Good riddance.

Nevertheless, when one repeat-offending former inmate let go by one particular governor is being mistaken for another repeat-offending former inmate let go by that same governor, that particular governor has an obvious problem.

And Mike Huckabee sure didn’t do himself any favors with the statement he put out after Clemmons name began to be associated with the brutal cop-killing. Placing blame on failed criminal justice systems in Washington and Arkansas may have been appropriate, but he simply cannot escape the reality that but for his leniency, Clemmons would not have been free to kill those four police officers, and leave nine children without the chance to ever hug their fathers and mothers again.

Furthermore, his kid-glove treatment by the normally combative Bill O’Reilly yesterday evening was reprehensible. Huckabee continued to shift blame as much as possible away from himself, talking about the parole board and the lenient judge in Washington state which allowed Clemmons to be freed on bail a week ago, and O’Reilly allowed him to get away with it. He should be ashamed with himself.

O’REILLY: Thanks for being a stand-up guy, Governor. A lot of people want an explanation. This is a bad hombre, and you let him out. Why?

HUCKABEE: Well, Bill, first of all — the tragedy of this — if I could have known 9 years ago this guy was capable of something of this magnitude, obviously I would have never granted the commutation.

It’s sickening. The two people I value most in this country are soldiers and police officers, because they’re the only things standing between our freedom and total anarchy. And in the case of this particular individual — he was sentenced to 108 years for two crimes when he was 16. The post-prison transfer board — I’ll be very brief about this, but to understand — they recommended to me as governor for his commutation, which didn’t release him. It simply cut his sentence to 47 years. That would give him parole eligibility.

That was the commutation. I’m responsible for that. And it’s not something I’m happy about, at this particular moment.

O’REILLY: Now did you study it…

HUCKABEE: Yes…

O’REILLY: I mean, look. Governors have a lot of this stuff. Did you study this guy? Did you spend a lot of time on it, or did you just take the advice of your advisers?

HUCKABEE: No, I looked at every case file, and I had about 1,200 of these a year. This is what people need to understand. 92% of the time, they were denied. But in this case, the judge in the case was also recommending, and the parole board — on a 5-0 vote — because at the age of 16, the sentence he got for the crimes he committed back in 1989 was excessive for anything else that….

O’REILLY: [interrupting] Okay he was a bad guy in prison, and the prosecutors told you. So they say “Hey, this is a hard-core guy. This isn’t some kid who went wrong”.

HUCKABEE: We didn’t have any information from the prosecutors. We sent notices, which is the practice in Arkansas, to five different people: The Attorney General, the Secretary of State, the prosecutor, the judge, and law enforcement. The only official we have record of getting notification of from was the judge, who agreed with the recommendation of the parole board.

So that’s what we acted upon. What I acted upon — I’m responsible for that, and you know, my heart is broken for four families tonight…

O’REILLY: [interrupting] Well, it’s not your fault, Governor. I mean, look, you’ve got 1,200 of these cases a year. You gotta look at them. I’m not saying it’s your fault. I don’t think anyone watching thinks it’s your fault.

But the judges in Washington state, come on. I mean, this guy moves from your state — Arkansas — to Washington state and then he racks up 8 felony charges. Eight felonies!

“I’m responsible,” Huckabee might have said, but what I was looking for from him, from someone truly looking to be accountable, was a “but for” statement. But for Mike Huckabee’s commutation of Maurice Clemmons’ sentence, Maurice Clemmons would not have been free to murder four police officers. Sure, lenient judges in Washington State were also responsible for this animal’s freedom — however, but for Mike Huckabee’s leniency in reducing Maurice Clemmons’ 95-year sentence, the bleeding heart judge in the American northwest would have never had the opportunity to free the man who one week later left nine children without a parent.

Is it fair? Probably not. But Mike Huckabee is a self-proclaimed conservative, and conservatives need to hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to matters of morality and accountability. The right thing to do, in terms of both personal and public relations matters, would be to take complete and total responsibility–that “but for” statement–and allow O’Reilly and others to pull him back from the ledge.

Yes, there were failures in the criminal justice systems in Arkansas and Washington State, I would have liked him to have said, and yes, a lenient judge should never have allowed Clemmons to walk free on bail, but Clemmons should never have been on the street in the first place, and but for my terrible decision-making, he would not have been and those four police officers could have eaten dinner with their families that night.

Of course, Clemmons is the one solely, directly responsible for the murders of those four Lakewood police officers, but complicity also lies in both Huckabee’s failure as well as the failure of the judge which allowed for him to be released after posting only $15,000 for the rape of a 12-year-old girl and assault on a police officer. Of course, what we’re seeing is the real life consequence of our current crop of bleeding heart judges and politicians. This man had no business being free. None whatsoever.

Maurice Clemmons wasn’t an angst-filled teenager busted with a couple of joints in his Buick’s ashtray. This is a violent criminal, a ticking time bomb, and yet he was given a second, third, fourth and fifth chance two times too many. I don’t know enough about the judge who allowed Clemmons to walk last week, but I do know Mike Huckabee’s history of freeing and commuting sentences of violent criminals.

Michelle Malkin, in a blog post just riddled with eye-opening information about Mike Huckabee and violent criminals (in other words, go and read it), pointed out a 2004 story from the Arkansas Leader:

Jegley cites numerous examples of Huckabee’s freeing felons who go on committing more crimes and wind up back in prison.

Maurice Clemmons received a 35-year sentence in the early 1990s for armed robbery and theft. His sentence was commuted in May 2000, and he was let out three months later.

The following March, Clemmons committed two armed robberies and other crimes and was sentenced to 10 years. You’d think they’d keep him locked up after that, but no: He was paroled last March and is now wanted for aggravated robbery.

If Huckabee decides to set these criminals free, Jegley says, at least “he ought to give an accounting. I can’t imagine why in the world they’d want them released from jail. There’s a good reason we’re afraid of them. The sad truth is that a significant number of people re-offend.”

The victims’ families, Jegley says, “deserve an explanation. I look into people’s eyes who’ve suffered the unspeakable. I believe they deserve justice.

Until now, Huckabee has refused to comment on his controversial policy of making violent prisoners eligible for parole– they include murderers, armed robbers and rapists, who often return to a life of crime after they’re freed – but in a statement to The Leader this week, he lashed out at prosecutors for not doing more to keep prisoners behind bars – to which Pulaski County Prosecuting Attor-ney

Larry Jegley had this response: “That’s a load of baloney.”

“I’m offended as a prosecutor and as a citizen. He can blame the prosecutors, but ultimately he’s the man responsible,” Jegley says. “He’s the only one who can sign on the dotted line.

Malkin–who, keep in mind, was no Huckabee fan to begin with–also highlighted an entry from a 1998 court document showing Clemmons’ tendency toward violence:

Clemmons’s defense counsel, Llewellyn J. Marczuk, testifying at the postconviction hearing, related that, at the earlier trial, a security guard had reported to Judge Lofton that Clemmons had taken a hinge from one of the courtroom doors, hid it in his sock, and intended to use it as a weapon. The hinge was found and taken from him before he harmed anyone. In another incident, Clemmons extracted a lock from a holding cell, and he later threw the lock which hit his mother. During this second episode, Clemmons purportedly threatened Judge Lofton. In a third incident, Clemmons reportedly reached for a guard’s pistol during his transportation to the courtroom.

Lost in all of this, unfortunately, are the victims of Clemmons’ weekend ambush. But I’m so disgusted with the mentality which allowed for Clemmons to commit the murder that I cannot yet dispatch with the anger enough to mourn the loss of four brave officers. And, honestly, I’d be less disgusted if Huckabee actually owned up to his malfeasance.

Sure, he cites recommendations made by an Arkansas judge in his interview last night on The O’Reilly Factor. Sure, he mentions the approval by the parole board. But the buck stops with the governor, and he was won over by Clemmons’ disingenuous petition for clemency in the face of protests from prosecutors. My goodness, this was a man whose criminal behavior as a teenager net him a 95-year prison sentence; he’s never known anything but violence, and yet the man who first was responsible for his freedom cannot even own up to it.

I’ve liked Mike Huckabee, but I lost a lot of respect for him in the past 24 hours. This was more than a Willie Horton moment. This was a slap in the face of accountability, something that any GOP hopeful should display in spades.

Once upon a time, Huckabee himself asked that the consequences of his decision in the case of Wayne Dumond not be politicized. I’m sure he’d like to ask the same thing here. My vote? No dice.

In the meantime, please pray for those nine children who lost a parent, that husband who lost a wife and those wives who lost their husbands. They deserved better than what happened this weekend. And they deserve more than the half-hearted, blame-shifting explanation being offered.

Comments

Good grief! This is so sad. The only good news in all this is that Clemmons is dead and that he signed his own death warrant.

Neal Boortz was talking about Clemmons on the radio when I woke up a while ago.

Can you imagine the presidential pardons Huckabee would grant if he is given the keys to the White House? All the liberals would vote for him, too, just so they could get their families and gangs out of prison within four years.

And, Michelle Malkin really drove her point home! (I clicked on her name and read her accounting.) Unbelievable!

I don't know what interview you watched but Governor Huckabee did take accountability in that interview. Also the prosecutor did not object to the first parole. It was the second parole he objected to so get your story straight. This kid got 108 years for theft and taking a gun to school. Do you call that a fair sentence for a 16 year old? In our area a man was just sentenced to 6 years for shooting someone. This kid's penalty was as if he had murdered someone. Michelle Malkin is a Huck-hater and has been very vocal about it. Why would we expect any less from her kind? I did expect better for you, Jeff. You normally research your stories and don't just print what other people say. Not this time. What would you have done? What would any of us have done given the circumstances of a 16 year old getting 108 years for theft and taking a gun to school? A person goes to jail based on the crime he committed not on the crime he may commit in the future. Governor Huckabee did the right thing based on the facts of the case at the time of the commutation. Maybe you should work a little harder and get some facts for yourself before jumping on the hate Huck bandwagon with people like Malkin.

3. 100 YEAR REHAB says:

When are we going to learn to "THROW AWAY THE KEY"?

4. ONE DOWN says:

Huckabee 2012, not so much
    Go Sarah, and by the way, your book is awesome.

Yes, agree with Gail and what Michelle Malkin has written. At the cost of the lives of these brave policemen and woman and others violated in the past, the truth has come more to the surface as to Huckabee's willful compassion policies/decisions towards dangerous criminals.

Hopefully this information will prove to remove Huckabee's name from the seeking of any future higher office.

He really must repent of these decisions and hopefully wake up and see the real light of the truth.

6. Boston Blackie says:

I remember during the last presidental cycle this same issue coming out of the woodwork. It may have been Michelle back then that drew attention to his record. I would never vote for Huckabee for any office after reading into his pardons/commutation record while governor, it was shocking. I also agree that O'Reilly gave his coworker a pass last night. Huckabee's excuse – he took the advice of the judge in the case!!!
    That would have been the last person I would listen to. Give Romney credit, while governor of mASSachusetts he refused ALL requests. When you do the crime, you MUST do the time and all of it. This is the nail in the coffin on another RINO's ambition.
    How about the counter worker at the coffee shop who when seeing the gun in this scumbag's waist just ran into the backroom. I am sure the families of the assassinated officers are greatful for the headsup given to the officers sitting there.
    Thankfully, street justice was served on a platter.

7. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

I am sickened by the murders of these offficers. You know that I have been a supporter of Huckabee. I found some facts that I think should be considered here.

From race42008.com:
    "Maurice Clemmons was sentenced to a 108 year prison term for his actions in 3 incidents as a 16 year old youth. These actions appear to be the:
    Robbery of cell phone and house appliances from unoccupied house
    Robbery of purse off of a women without the use of a weapon (although he threatened that he had a gun)
    Possession of a firearm

Huckabee On May 3, 2000, Gov. Mike Huckabee commuted (lessened) Clemmons’ 108 year sentence to 47 years, 5 months and 19 days, which made him eligible for parole that day.
    The Parole Board granted his parole July 13, 2000.
    He was released Aug. 1, 2000."

The sentencing judge supported reducing the sentence – there were no other objections raised in the 30 day public hearing period. He had served 10 years of his sentence at that point.

According to Arkansas law, the governor is required to review all prison sentences. Huckabee withheld clemency in 95% of cases spanning 10 1/2 years as Governor.

I am not making excuses, but I think these facts should be considered when people are ready to blame these murders on Huckabee. As you put so well:

"Of course, Clemmons is solely responsible for the murders of those four Lakewood police officers, but complicity also lies in the judge which allowed for him to be released after posting only $15,000 for the rape of a 12-year-old girl and assault on a police officer."

I keep the grieving ones in my prayers.

Susan

8. Grace 77x7 says:

Jeff, I have been trying to unearth the facts in this case & it has been really difficult with all the emotional venting going on out there in google-land. This is indeed a difficult thing, but I still want to be fair & I have always believed you to be a fair & rational person. I am wondering what info you have found that has led you to your conclusions here.

Admittedly I have not been able to dig far, but I have yet to find anything that would have indicated to Huckabee at the time of the commutation decision that Clemmons was violent or anything that would have intimated what was lurking in this guy's future.

Why should Huckabee not have believed that a decade in jail was not enough for a punk to settle down who at that time was apparently guilty of robbery of cell phone and house, appliances from unoccupied house, robbery of a purse from a woman without the use of a weapon (although he threatened that he had a gun) and possession of a firearm which he claimed was to defend himself against some dopers who had been threatening him at school? Did Clemmons get in trouble while doing jail time? The jail term does seem excessive for the crimes – esp. for a 16yo – what info am I missing from this?

So far as I can tell, Huckabee is guilty of giving this guy a second chance when there was still room for doubt. What I don’t understand is why when the guy committed robbery again a few years later, why was he given multiple more opportunities? Why was he not hauled off & locked up for good after that? Why was he not hauled off & locked up for good after assaulting a police officer? Why was he not hauled off & locked up for good after raping a little girl? Had Huckabee granted him an opportunity at parole after crimes like those, THEN I would most definitely be questioning his judgment.

So far as I can tell, it seems like Huckabee can only be condemned in HINDSIGHT – a tool that was not at his disposal at the time. He had only the information of what HAD TAKEN place which appears relatively minor at that point (again, unless I am missing some information) with no way of knowing that this guy would later develop into a deranged man & cop killer.

While we can all now wish that the guy had been locked up & the key thrown away, WITH THE INFORMATION HUCKABEE HAD AVAILABLE TO HIM AT THAT TIME, on what basis should Huckabee have declined to commute this rather lengthy sentence for crimes committed by a 16yo boy who had served a decade of his sentence & appeared reformed?

While I agree that the number of pardons seems excessive, the AR system is not exactly typical either. Huckabee did say that it was a mistake in hindsight (& looked quite haggard – it does not seem like he is taking this lightly). O'Reilly was the one who kept steering the conversation to the judges who let Clemmons out on bail – are you suggesting that Huckabee should have said 'never mind that – let's talk more about my fault'? The judges DO bear a larger burden of responsibility in this because at that point there was no doubt that Clemmons was dangerous.

So the question here that needs to be determined is what exactly is it that Huckabee can be REASONABLY expected to take responsibility for in this tragedy?

P.S. @Gail B, Michelle Malkin has always hated Huckabee and her reporting is definitely slanted. I have no interest in excusing Huckabee for any mistakes that he made, but at the same time, I see no reason for condemning him before all the facts are available. There is definitely more to this than Malkin has reported & I am genuinely puzzled & more than a little distressed at the increasing conservative tendency to damn our own first & ask questions later.

9. William A. Rose says:

Huckabee is not a bad man. I think he's got great values and would seriously consider supporting him in a bid for the Presidency. He and Palin would make a great ticket.

So he commuted the excessive sentence of this minor. Prison does not rehab anyone. It only serves to make them harder criminals. 95% commutations, etc. over 10.5 years is not excessive. He did what he thought was right. Those that would condemn him for commuting the sentence, have YOU never done something and it blew up in your face? Huckabee is no more guilty of the deaths of those unfortunate police officers than I am. I hope their families will be provided for and that they can pick up the shattered pieces of their lives and move on very very soon.

10. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

William,

Jeff

Jeff wrote: "The writing was on the wall when it came to Clemmons. Huckabee might not be responsible for the murders of those police officers, but Clemmons was obviously a danger, and yet Huckabee handed him the keys to his car and booted him out the door."

Show me the writing. You have given nothing more than Malkin maltruth. I could easily dig up clip after clip and story after story of the hateful attacks this woman has made against Huckabee. This is just one more case. You are a cold man if you would let a kid rot in jail for these types of crimes. The main crime this kid did was being born black. That's all there is to it. A white kid would have never gotten 108 years for these types of offensives. If he had been given parole originally and put into some kind of mentoring program rather than spending 11 years in prison, this whole thing could have ended differently. But no let's lock up the black kid and throw away the key. Pitiful.

Finally someone is actually doing their homework:

Jeff, you have repeated lies and you should be honest enough to admit it and retract it.

13. Boston Blackie says:

"Those that would condemn him for commuting the sentence, have YOU never done something and it blew up in your face?"

William,
    Maybe it is the fact that I still fear my 77 year old mother who raised 10 kids alone. Or maybe it is being married to a Marine and disbled police officer for 25 years but to answer your question, it is NO I have not. It is called doing the right thing.

Grace77x7–
    We have a judicial system (or at least that's still what it's called, anyway), with trials, appeals, sentencing, and the like. Not only are the convicts to be considered, there are the victims, their families, and potential victims (as in this case) as well.

It seems to me that Romney gets it by not pardoning anyone; Huckabee doesn't. Perhaps he will learn from his past bad decisions. I feel certain that Huckabee meant no harm by his pardon(s).

We'd have 4 live police officers if the key had been thrown away. Do the crime, do the jury assigned time.

Anonymous at 3:25 PM–

If you're going to do your homework, try finishing it!

(1) Huckabee made more than the one pardon; the prosecutor DID make an objection on at least one occasion.

(2) By law, Huckabee was to give his reason for clemency, which he didn't.

17. Boston Blackie says:

Anon 3:25 PM
    Decide for yourself;

The Arkansas governor’s GOP opponents were happy to reference his record during the primary in an effort to slam Huckabee for being soft on crime.

Bill Clinton, who served as governor of the state between 1979 and 1992, issued a total of 426 pardons and commutations, the Arkansas Leader pointed out in the middle of Huckabee’s tenure in 2004.

Republican Frank White and Democrat Jim Guy Tucker issued 39 and 42, respectively. By the end of his 10-and-a-half years as governor, Huckabee had issued 1,033. (DO THE MATH- ALMOST 100 PER YEAR)

As of 2004, Huckabee had issued more pardons than the leaders of six neighboring states combined — Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Missouri — in the preceding eight years.

No objections or not, the governor makes the decisions. He has to live with this tragedy. I think you are the one that needs to admit you are wrong not Jeff.

Jeff:

I think its only fair to judge Huckabee on what he should have done with the information he had at the time. I see the information did not appear to give notice to anyone that he would commit murder.

I, as well, see in Huckabee a sorrow and sadness for his decision. I heard him say, in so many words, that he was sorry for giving this man a lighter sentence. I don't see anything wrong about this interview or conversation with Huckabee. I did not hear him say that he was without blame, not at all. And O'Reilly tried to get information regarding the subject to shed a more objective light on this.

Several people/agencies are to blame for this man getting out. He may be part of the problem for this particular incident, but it is funny nobody was complaining when that man was let free, just now when everyone is looking at the crimes he just committed. Everybody could make the right decision if they could see into the future.

I would like to look at this in a more positive way. I observe Huckabee is very struck with this as a decision he will probably be very very reluctant to ever do again in the future. So, as to put my faith in someone, I would have more faith in this man who is saddened by a decision that was wrong when examined in hindsight than I would want to put my faith in a person that never had to make this decision, like yourself.

You never had to make this decision. Therefore, when presented with facts regarding a person needing parole, you would be more likely to think you had all the knowledge of the incident and that you were making the right decision. Sometimes the wisest decisions come from those who have made bad decisions (that weren't obviously bad at the time) in the past.

Also, think about how this presents to the American community. This is the man people are looking at most for the next president. We will never win an election if we don't monitor our opinions slightly and cut out the hatred for one of our own. It is similar to shooting yourself in the foot. No one is without blame.

I want to make one more point, not only are we all without blame (including you Jeff), but we also cannot read a person's heart–only God has that ability. Many of our daily decisions are only based upon the assumption that the person is either a good person or a bad person. All of us have made a decision that we later regret, and mainly due to the fact that we thought we had all the information but we didn't.

I don't see how someone saying, "but for my terrible decision making," will help anybody. He already is sad about the decision and agrees that on hindsight he never would have made that decision. In fact, if he said, "but for my terrible decision making," comment, he would not make any points with any person because to say that is to not have any grace that should be present in a president anyway. A president, or presidential candidate needs to present himself in a certain way. Acknowledgement of a wrong decision is one thing, but self-depreciating remarks are quite another. It might work for Thanksgiving with your family, but it wouldn't work with the American people.

You need to moderate some of your tone Jeff if you indeed do want to run for presidency someday. Just a thought.

mmm

19. Grace 77x7 says:

@Gail B, you can't be serious?

The solution to Huckabee's extravagant mercy is NOT Romney's scrooge – do you really think refusing to pardon a guy for accidentally shooting someone with a beebee gun when they're a kid so that they can become a police officer after heroic military service (as Romney actually refused to do in MA) is good? It's not even reasonable!

Clearly, Romney wasn't concerned about justice; he was concerned about his political career. We certainly don't need any more leaders like that!

20. Grace 77x7 says:

Jeff, you said "If I own a bar, I have a legal obligation to ensure that the patrons of my bar are not served liquor past the point of visible intoxication. If someone is, and proceeds to get in his car and kill someone, I'm liable. And I should take full responsibility for facilitating that drunk driving death, even if I am wrong to do so."

A rather paradoxical way of expressing it, but okay, I'll work with it. So, let's suppose you were the bar owner and you noticed someone was intoxicated, & rather than calling the cops to lock him up or whatever, you made an effort to have someone get the drunk guy home safely.

The person who was supposed to see the drunk guy home instead let's the guy drive himself home & the drunk driving death occurs. The bar owner knew this designated person reasonably well and had every reason to believe they would be reliable, but they let him down.

So the bar owner has a degree of responsibility here, certainly, but to what extent? Is it really reasonable or rational for him to take all the responsibility upon himself in such a case? You seem to be saying so, but why?

You also said, "The writing was on the wall when it came to Clemmons. Huckabee might not be responsible for the murders of those police officers, but Clemmons was obviously a danger, and yet Huckabee handed him the keys to his car and booted him out the door."

Again I ask you – what information do you have access to that should have made it so clearcut to Huckabee that Clemmons "was obviously a danger" at that point in time?

And to be consistent with your analogy, Huckabee would have pardoned Clemmons & let him walk which was NOT the case. Clemmons received approval from the parole board & the parole officer was assigned to be his "designated driver" at that time.

77×7,

you can't be serious? Pull out a bleeding heart liberal comparison why don't ya.

22. William A. Rose says:

Wow. I made everybody mad. That was not my intention. I have what I hope are more true facts concerning Clemmons. I also incorrectly wrote the 95% commutations in 10.5 years. I meant 5%. Anyway, I do agree absolutely that Clemmons was a catastrophy waiting to happen and that shoudl have been seen and known and taken into consideration before changing his sentencing in any way.

Regarding the analogy you gave, Jeff, I fully agree with that. We cannot knowingly contribute to someone who is obviously a potential danger. The key words there are "knowingly" and "obviously". I'm having a difficult time believing that everyone who had a role in Clemmons reduction of his sentence didn't have all the facts.

When I asked if you had ever done anything that blew up in your face, I wasn't intending to pick a fight. I should have asked a better question: Have you ever made a bad decision and then endured the consequences thereof? I would have to say, here I am concerned, an emphatic yes, and more than once.

Huckabee clearly made a mistake. So did the prosecution by not protesting the reduction of the sentence and everyone else involved in the process that ultimately led to the release of Clemmons. Huckabee will endure the consequences of that decision. We do something bad, we endure the consequences. We do something good, we endure those consequences s well. I do believe Huckabee is truly broken by this and repentant. We have to forgive him and move on. Maybe he's not the best choice for a Presidential candidate. I still think he's far more "good" than he is "bad". I think he is for real and is genuine.

All that said, Jeff, I apologize to you and ask your pardon. I was not picking on you. And I asked the wrong question which clearly made it look like I was trying to start a fight.