No good deed…

Assigned Reading: Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist
(FROM: Fox News)

Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy’s elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment — called an admiral’s mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named “Objective Amber,” told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

I understand the importance of professional conduct in our military, but really? The ringleader of a mob that ambushed four American contractors who were delivering food for a catering event, killed them, desecrated their bodies, and hung them from a bridge is captured and his complaint is a bloody lip? Can you imagine listening to this monster’s complaint of a bloody lip and actually disciplining the SEALs? Or doing anything other than laughing? That’s a playground scratch, not grounds for courts martial.

How can any nation that subjects the men who risk their lives in its defense to this kind of treatment expect to long endure?

Comments

This is something that I'd expect to read in The Reader's Digest under "That's Outrageous."

(But Robert, check "bride" and see if it should have a "g" in it, okay?)

2. Robert Wallace says:

Gail –

Thanks – someone already pointed that mistake out and I fixed it.

You guys are great editors. I'm good at proof-reading what other people write, but I'm terrible at proofing my own stuff.

Robert, we have the same problem!

4. Nikki P says:

I am outraged and want to do what I can to put a stop to this nonsense. Who do we contact? How do we Americans protect those who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us? I want to know. I want to stand up for these HEROS just as they have been standing in the front lines for me. I just don't know who to contact or where to start.

5. Illinois Knows says:

This is just plain stupidity. Maybe our military shouldn't capture anymore. "I swear he fired first." They torture and kill, we give them citizen rights.

I am flabergasted. Phil this cannot be true. There must be a mistake in this story somewhere. It is inconceivable that our military brass is doing this of its own accord.
    Bruce

7. Boston Blackie says:

A preview of things to come in NYC.

8. DON'T DO THAT AGAIN DOC says:

Court martial my military doctor, as he slapped my behind when I was born.

9. Dee says:

Bruce, it's true. I am outraged at this and can't believe that KSM will be treated better in NYC than these SEALS will be treated. What a travesty!

Think how this will spread. Detainees will injure themselves and blame a serviceman, who will then be arrested and charged with a crime based on the testimony of a terrorist. We have become for more than a laughingstock keystone cop episode to the world. It's down right embarrassing what we have become.

11. Hugh says:

This case opens up a very ugly can of worms that will cause great harm to our troops. Political correctness is killing people.

If we fought World War II like this the Allies would have lost. One major issue is our rules of engagement. We almost have to get permission to fire our weapons as I understand it.

Please consider the case of Captain Charles Butler McVay, captain of the USS Indianapolis CA-35. The ship and all but 317 sailors were lost on 30 July 1945due to a Japanese submarine after delivering Atomic Bomb parts to the Island of Tinian, part of the Marianas chain.

Captain McVay was court-martialed for not zig-zaging his ship at the time of the disaster, just after midnight. He and over 900 sailors were left in the sea for almost five days before a search plane accidently found sailors floating in the water. The top brass did not even know that the USS Indianapolis CA-35 was missing at the time.

Admiral's heads should have rolled over the sinking and abandonment since the Indianapolis was not aware of submarine activity in the area at the time, and she had sailed without escort.

The charges fell on Captain McVay. Prosecutors bought in the Japanese submarine commander as a witness.

It is enough to make your blood boil!

It's a good thing it was those involved and not me. A bloody lip would have been the least of his problems. I have no mercy for that type of individual and I applaud the SEALS use of restraint in capturing him instead of just opening up a bucket of whoopass and throwing it on him on the spot.