More KSM Complications

Assigned Reading: Berlin wants no part in potential 9/11 execution
(FROM: Deutsche Welle)

Like most of Western Europe, Germany opposes the death penalty. Which means they are not excited about calls for Khalid Sheikh Mohammad to be executed. Which is a problem because some of the evidence in the trial comes from Germany.

A team of observers from the German government is going to New York to oversee the trial of five suspects accused of orchestrating the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States… The defense lawyer for one of the accused, Ramzi Binalshibh, said that a conviction of his client would “scarcely be possible without evidence from Germany.”

I’m actually not sure how this would change in a military tribunal, but it is just one in a long litany of problems with the administration’s behavior. What is the point in campaigning for a “fair trial” in a civilian court, and then violating Department of Justice policies by calling KSM guilty and tainting the jury pool by campaigning for the death penalty before the trial starts? Then there’s the fact that any defense attorney is immediately going to call for a change of venue from New York City. We couldn’t try Timothy McVeigh in the state of Oklahoma so what makes anyone think we can try KSM in the state of New York?

Comments

1. Larry Walker Jr says:

Sounds like an intentional ploy to get KSM released. He'll wind up being the next Nelson Mandela, if Eric Holder has his way.

that's all we need to muck up the works, huh? of course in hasan's case i feel strongly we have enough without Germany's input.

i trust our skillful lawyers find a way to toss the German opinion out. afterall, this is not a global or U.N. trial; this is a UNITED STATES OF AMERICA trial.

it is my strong opinion that Obama, HOlder, both TRAINED lawyers are making statements to make sure this guy gets off. they can pretend all they want, but if they wanted this guy gone they would have revisited his confession and proceed accordingly.

no wonder obama's numbers are sliding downwards huh?

3. Bodenzee says:

Sounds good to me. A change of venue from New York, where so many were killed on 9/11 is probably what they want. That's only fair.

How about moving it to Texas since they weren't the target of the direct attacks. Bubba and his redneck buddiess will welcome KSM and his associates. I want the ticket franchise though.

Washington, Oregon and the Peoples' Republic of California must be off limits though.

4. Walt says:

I may be wrong, but I believe they (Obama-Holder) are setting this up so they will have legal excuses when the defendants are released. They will blame this on others (Bush-Cheney-and others within that administration-US Military) and some news agencies.

5. Robert Wallace says:

I don't think that Obama or Holder are plotting to release these guys. They want the convicted. They are probably less enthusiastic about execution.

I am fairly sure Holder will work hard to shepherd this case through to a conviction. They are trying to prove that America can be pricipled (in their view) and tough at the same time.

The problems are that:
    1. They can't really guarantee that this thing goes their way.
    2. To the extent that they try to force things to go their way they will end up hypocritically derailing the very same process they claim to be defending.

6. Patrick says:

The thing that really gets me is that, unless I'm missing something, the only reason Obama and Holder want a civilian trial is to prove to the world that we're serious about justice and fairness, even with terrorists. That just doesn't jive with the fact that these same men are guaranteeing the American people a conviction and death for the defendants. I mean I think that these liberals' naive sense of fairness is completely wasted on hardened terrorists and that treating a terrorist like a common criminal, complete with constitutional rights, is only inviting more attacks through its very naivety. I just don't get the point of going through the song and dance of bringing them to NYC and endangering more innocent people when we could just have the trial in Guantanamo and be done with it.

On the other hand, it could be just another distraction from something "bigger and better" that they don't want us to notice.

Personally, I have difficulty believing KSM will be convicted, for one reason or another.

As sure as OJ walked, KSM will walk.

RIP Common Sense.