Media Bias? You Betcha.

Assigned Reading: ‘Accountability Journalism’
(FROM: The Wall Street Journal)

This is actually an excerpt from James Taranto’s much larger “Best of the Web” daily installment over at the Wall Street Journal. Apparently, Rush Limbaugh mentioned this on air, as I received about three dozen e-mails within a ten-minute span, all pointing me to these few paragraphs.

Regardless of where it came from, it certainly is worth note here.

An Associated Press dispatch, written by Erica Werner and Richard Alonso-Zaldivar, compares the House and Senate ObamaCare bills. We’d like to compare this dispatch to the AP’s dispatch earlier this week “fact checking” Sarah Palin’s new book. Here goes:

Number of AP reporters assigned to story:
• ObamaCare bills: 2
• Palin book: 11

Number of pages in document being covered:
• ObamaCare bills: 4,064
• Palin book: 432

Number of pages per AP reporter:
• ObamaCare bill: 2,032
• Palin book: 39.3

On a per-page basis, that is, the AP devoted 52 times as much manpower to the memoir of a former Republican officeholder as to a piece of legislation that will cost trillions of dollars and an untold number of lives. That’s what they call accountability journalism.

Amazing? Absolutely. Surprising? Absolutely not. Sad? You betcha.

Comments

As you're fond of saying, Jeff: "Good grief."

Did I not read somewhere that the AP is having financial problems and could lead to bankruptcy? Could the problem be that the AP is too worried about Sarah and not any real news
    R. B. Deal, MCPO USN (Ret.)

Jeff, I'll agree that there is media bias – on both sides. In fact, there is way too much media bias everywhere you turn, including here, as well as leftist blogs. However, I think that the people LIKE media bias. I think the FAUX news junkies thrive on the controversy, and drama…especially of the "newsevangelist" Glenn Beck. They eat that crap up. Just the same as the people who call the Rachel Maddow hour the "sacred hour."
    I am a moderate person. I don't like extremes, especially in news reporting.
    So, how to take our most powerful politcal party – the media – and actually make it into something good? I think its a lost cause, and I think this country is going to continue to go down the sinkhole because of it.
    Yes, it is ridiculous to think that a bunch of journalists are given the Palin assignment to cover and then two poor lackies get to pour through 2074 pages of the Senate Health Care bill. I tried to get through it, and I'm wondering where the Cliff Notes version is?
    So who exactly is reading the 2074 page snooze-fest? And better yet, what media outlet will actually report the good the bad and the ugly? Not this blog, not the Huffington Post, not Fox, CNN or MSNBC. Nope, its up to each one of us to read it, comprehend it, interpret it, and then try to decide for ourselves if its a good thing. You have until Saturday night to finish this reading assignment, – are you going to read every word? I challenge you to report the good (and I know that you'll report the bad and the ugly.)
    Happy reading!
    Jack

4. Boston Blackie says:

Jack, IF we find any good in the 2000+ pages, you will be the first one we will alert. Until then, we keep trudging along shining light on this disaster.

Jack said:
    "The truth is, nobody is looking at it. The Republicans are digging through pulling out all the negatives, without looking at the positives, and the Democrats are touting their big selling points."
    You said it earlier, Your a moderate. Now why would you want the repubs to look for the positives? Don't you think the Dems will tell us about the positives and not the negatives? Wow! You must think no one went to school.
    R. B. Deal, MCPO USN (Ret.)

6. goddessdivine says:

Wow. That really puts things into perspective. Shameful.

And Jack, doctors I have spoken to who have actually read the bill (which is more than we can say for some of our elected officials) say there are only a dozen good things about this bill. That's a pretty lousy stat for something that's 2,000 pages! I'd say the cons far outweigh any pros this horrendous legislation can bring.

Yep, it looks like the point was totally missed. Not suprising. You're right, no one went to school…glad I did not have to point that out.

Jack

GOT 'Um!
    you betcha!

what audit firm can we use to audit AP's auditing team?

as smart as they think they are the miss the fact at just how much help they are to Sarah::::

they cut, cut, cut, cut, or PRUNE, PRUNE, PRUNE.

what happens when you prune?
    the three spreads its wings and grows beautifully.

let 'um keep pruning.

Are you serious? I did a google search and in two minutes I was able to find articles about proposed healthcare that were written by the following AP writers:RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, TREVOR TOMPSON, DAVID ESPO, Erica Werner,Philip Elliott, Charles Babington, Laurie Kellman, Christine Simmons , Carla Johnson etc. (I can go on.) How about a little research. It would be nice if you would STOP MAKING THINGS UP.

Jack remember one thing: In the view of the extremists whether it be in the far left or the right, moderates, center-left or center-right are seen as fence sitters.

The view from atop the fence is much better than it is from the right or left.
    Jack

I agree with you on that, nice to watch the fight on the fence.

14. GOTTA LOVE SARAH says:

One chapter into Sarah's book and the contrast is both startling and refreshing. Born in America, raised in America by American parents, and she absolutely loves America. Looking forward to the rest of the book!

15. OCCIDENTAL ACCIDENTAL says:

And, Sarah worked hard and paid for her entire tuition, thus taking 5 years to get her degree….. why won't Obama open his college records to see how he paid for his schooling??? hmmmm?

Now in Chapter 2 of Sarah's book…. I dare ANYONE to put their lousy DC legislative career up against her executive experience in both Wasilla and the State of Alaska. Give me a break 'she is not qualified', and Biden is, Obama is???? gagging