If Only Less Environmentalists Were Vegetarians…

Assigned Reading: Catalina Bison on Birth Control
(FROM: The Los Angeles Times)

Here’s the concept of the article in a few sentences:

Back in 1924, a total of fourteen bison were shipped to Catalina Island–off the southern California coast–to be used in a silent Western movie. Now, due to … well, you get the idea … the fourteen original bison now have led to a herd of roughly 200 roaming the island. According to the Los Angeles Times, environmentalists are now experimenting with bison birth control in order to keep the herd down to about 150 head or less, thus purportedly decreasing the environmental impact of the bison.

I don’t get it. The perceived problem, if you believe in the whole global warming thing, is too many bison, right? Right?

Why pump the bison full of contraceptives? My solution is much better. Less perceived environmental impact, more tasty burgers. Everybody wins. (Except for the bison.)

Comments

Bison…mmm, mmm, mmm

2. Ian Thorpe says:

Ironic but one of the big contributors to carbon emission is the way we produce food. Highly bred domestic species need to be kept in heated sheds in cold weather and given an enriched diet.
    Bison and Caribou in North America and Deer and Oxen in Europe do well in the natrual environment and can thrive on poor pastures because that is the diet their ancestors had throughout the evolutionary process.

When I hear the phrase "climate change science is the only way to reverse global warming" I wonder do the people who use it understand that science, that is the science of fixing things that aren't broke, is responsible for many of our problems.

The liberals are afraid to do the right thing. they are afraid of being buffaloed

Chickens and cows would certainly appreciate it!

That burger made me hungry!

5. T.I.M. says:

First of all, for the purpose of disclosure, I gave up meat over twenty years ago, for a number of reasons, and a LOT of research.

Secondly, this article is just another in a long series of bits of "progress" where animals were imported where they don't belong, and years later we found out it's not nice to mess with Ma Nature.

Finally, in reference to both the headline and the current focus of our political debate: more vegetarians is actually a proven and reasonable answer to part of our need for health care reform. One third of Americans are obese — leading to diabetes, strokes, heart disease, and other very costly conditions. A vegetarian or vegan diet has been shown to reverse and prevent both diabetes and heart disease. The protein in milk, by being added and subtracted in the lab, has actually turned cancer on and off.

If this country went vegetarian for one year, we'd be healthier both financially and physically. (The arguments against taste aren't really digestible, as taste can be created. And the "protein" argument is a myth, as a vegetarian diet can have plenty of protein — in fact excess animal protein can increase osteoporosis).

Eliminating animal products from our diets would also eliminate much of our disease — and the billions spent treating them.

PS: Here's an "assigned reading" for those interested. Make a list of the most intelligent historical figures you can think of — then see how many of them were vegetarians. That's food for thought.

But if they just went out and shot a few buffalo every now and then, they couldn't dream up a new "Buffalo Population Reduction Forced Contraception Tax" to implement. It has to be expensive to attach tracking devices on all female buffalo and pay someone to go out every cycle and administer birth control to each and every one. You'll be paying for that instead of eating a tasty burger!

Oh Baby, look at that photo. Now that's a Peace Prize! I am a proud member of PETA… People Eating Tasty Animals.

The only reason they are trying the contraceptive route is that they got tired of getting stomped when trying to put the condom on.

A thousand pounds of bison meat would be a good donation to a food bank.

T.I.M.:

I understand and respect your position. My daughter was a vegan and now is vegetarian. We must be careful about referencing research as empirical. The "science is not settled" in the area of diet. In fact, many holistic professionals will tell you that too many carbs in ones diet actually cause cellular inflammation which can lead to a wide range of disease, not to mention obesity.

While I could probably go without meat, I refuse to give up my butter and cheese!

I understood the major issue pre-conversion to ground bison was the requirement of having to read the bison their Miranda rights …

What would be wrong with taking the bison off Catalina Island and putting them on the ground from which they came? Think about it–the island can hold only so many!

We certainly do not need a Bison Czar!

12. Claudia says:

having lived in Los Angeles for about 10 years and having been to Catalina many times for a very tasty luch of BISON BURGER when I worked at Hughes Aircraft and had a boss that flew us over there about once a month as a kind of bonus, I say let them have all the little buffalo that they can have, — they do cull the herd every once in a while and the bison do get along very well on the island and there really doesn't seem to me to be a problem with having about 200 bison on that island, it can sustain them; if I remember correctly. I don't see why there has to be a big research and propaganda/birth control campaign going on over whether or not they can have those neat little calves. Have you ever looked into the eyes of a young buffalo, it is like looking into a pool. They are really special animals and they are safe there, and they have adapted very well to their environment and they don't cause anyone any problems, because most of the island is OFF LIMITS TO VISITORS, meaning to everyday people, so what is the huge problem??? Maybe those that are trying to be involved in eliminating them from the island want to do something different, such as populate, the island, but then, I am sure that the Wrigley Estate might have something very strong to say about that, as they are the owners of the property and choose to provide a home for those bison way back in 1924, but then again, maybe one the heirs has dollar signs in his/her eyes and simply wants the money rather than the beauty of the herd. Two hundred animals isn't all that many, you know, but, they aren't money producers, like selling that land would be so lucrative.

13. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

The government is also using birth control on the Mustang herds. They round up hundreds of them that then have no place to go but a government holding pen. There are thousands in holding pens where the BLM spends money to feed them. Now they want to start euthanizing them becuase it costs too much to feed them, and there aren't enough qualified adoption homes, especially in this economy.
    The herds will no longer be viable, & the American Mustang will eventually disappear because of government intervention. Of course, the government is highly infuenced by wealthy ranchers who want government land to nourish their herds.

Sorry, I get fired up on this issue & your article made me think of it.

Susan