Crucial Senate Vote on Health Care This Weekend?

While I have yet to work my way through the 2,074-page, $849 billion health care reform legislation released today by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, something I saw on South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint’s Twitter page stuck out and made my hair stand on end:

Jim DeMint Harry Reid may force critical vote on his 2074 pg health care takeover bill this weekend

Folks, I’m going to rip through this thing the best I can, but in the meantime, you need to get on the horn with your senators–in their Capitol Hill and home state offices–and explain to them that a vote to push this bill any further toward passage is a vote in favor of a government takeover of one-sixth of our economy.

I like Sen. Tom Coburn’s idea — let’s take almost two full days and read the darned thing, cover to cover, on the Senate floor. Whatever it takes, folks. Whatever it takes.

All throughout the weekend, as I traveled around the Lowcountry in DeMint’s state, people seemed to believe that this bill would die in the Senate. I’m not so certain. I’m not so certain that Harry Reid, knowing that his Senate is the only roadblock left and knowing that his future in Washington is up-in-the-air at best, will not use reconciliation to pass the bill with a simple majority.

This is a nightmare waiting to happen. Check back here as the day progresses for information with regard to the contents of the Senate bill. As I build new material, I’ll include it both at the top of the page and in the Health Care Index, linked in the top-right corner at America’s Right.

Comments

1. Aggie94 says:

Jeff, what can this mean, since it obviously can't mean what it seems to say, i.e, that anyone and everyone-individuals, employers, healthcare providers, or insurers-can opt out of this plan with no penalty?

7 SEC. 1555. FREEDOM NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN FEDERAL
    8 HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAMS.
    9 No individual, company, business, nonprofit entity, or
    10 health insurance issuer offering group or individual health
    11 insurance coverage shall be required to participate in any
    12 Federal health insurance program created under this Act
    13 (or any amendments made by this Act), or in any Federal
    14 health insurance program expanded by this Act (or any
    15 such amendments), and there shall be no penalty or fine
    16 imposed upon any such issuer for choosing not to partici
    17 pate in such programs.

2. Judy Smith says:

I don't see what the big hold up is they should have already passed the damn Health Care Bill these people are out of control and need to get a life lesson of how other people are depending on having some type of hope for a better health care system America is so jacked up I swear.

3. Boston Blackie says:

Hey Judy,
    Ain't no hope for better health care with this disaster in the making, that's for sure!!
    Check out the mess we have here in mASSachusetts if you want a preview. Also, how about the government agency that came out recommending pushing back mammograms until age 50 instead of 40 for cost savings and some "false positives" that might scare the patient. I'd rather be scared in my 40's than dead in my 50's.

4. whats_up says:

Boston Blackie,

Which govt agency was that?

5. John Feeny says:

Here's a copy of the letter that I sent to every single Democratic Senator today (no easy task, because of the manner in which they set up their correspondence forms):

Democratic Senators of the 111th Congress -

It has been brought to my attention through the wonderfully communicative world of the internet that your esteemed colleague, Harry Reid, has a healthcare bill that he is now attempting to bring to the floor. Well, the moment of truth has finally arrived for you now,hasn't it?

For 40 years and then some your party has been actively working to undermine the principles at the
    foundation of the American Republic. Through assiduous application of the ideas of people such as Saul Alinksy and Cloward-Piven, you have incremetally brought your party to the precipice of that for which you've yearned for so very long: destroying the integrity of the freest nation in the history of man merely for the sake of your own power and wealth. I'd say that you should be ashamed of yourselves, but I don't think your own arrogance will allow it.

Consequently, I'll have to live with the fact that my 11-year-old son will never have the
    opportunity to obtain health care by which he can choose to take care of himself. Of course,
    you're all more intelligent than he is and clearly know what's best for him. What's even better is
    that not only are you going to make wise decisions in the case of my son's health, but you're also
    going to manage to ensure that all of the people who are – what do you call them nowadays? -
    "undocumented citizens?" – will receive the very best of care. I would think that you'd at least
    do that, since as a result all of these people will therefore vote Democratic in near-perpetuity,
    assuring you of a place of power, presitige, and wealth for a long, long, time. You should be very
    proud of yourselves. In the final analysis, it all comes down to one basic concept: you just don't
    care. You want your way, just like a spoiled child, and you're willing to destroy lives in order
    to get it. I find that sad. I'm truly curious as to where the source of your personal anger comes from.

Before you walk that final mile to your vote, please consider this certainty: the vast majority
    of the American people DO NOT want this bill, despite the denials and smiles of Countess Pelosi. A 'yes' vote is the equivalent of political suicide for those who are up in 2010. We all know it.
    The American people are coming, and they're not going to take your attack on their personal lives
    laying down.

Sincerely,

John J. Feeny
    Johnston, RI

Probably didn't do much good, but I felt a whole lot better when i was done. Hopefully, if enough people write, the Blue Dogs will use their collective heads.

6. Boston Blackie says:

whats-up,

That would be the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force which falls under the Dept. of Health and Human Services.