Right Lesson, Wrong Teachers

The GOP needs direction for 2010, but the rudders should only lean to the right.

2010 could very well be 1994 all over again. 2010 could very well be 1994 all over again. I’ve written that sentence so many times here at America’s Right that, if my name were Dorothy and I owned a pair of ruby slippers, it probably would have happened by now.

So, for all my talk of history repeating itself, I should be happy that people are talking about the sequel to 1994′s Contract with America, right? For all my talk of the GOP needing to return to first principles, I should be thrilled, right?

I would be. Except that the people talking about those things are NY-23′s own Tweedledee and TweedleRINO, RNC Chairman Michael Steele and former House Speaker–and architect of the first Contract with America–Newt Gingrich.

Frankly, it’s a credibility problem. I may be a little pudgy around the middle, but I wouldn’t buy a diet and exercise video made by Rosie O’Donnell and Michael Moore. Why? No, not because they’re both on the far left. No, not because they’re both a few entrees short of a smorgasbord in the intelligence department. I’d leave that hypothetical movie–Sweatin’ to the Donuts II?–on the shelf because of the credibility gap.

Similarly, when it comes to people choosing to remake the Republican Party, the last people I go to at this moment are Steele and Gingrich. Steele has been out and about doing his best Al Sharpton impression and playing the race card. Gingrich has been spending more time on a love seat talking climate change with Nancy Pelosi than Al Gore spends laughing at tree-huggers and their spartan lives from his multi-million dollar, energy-Lewinskying Tennessee mansion. And both championed Dede Scozzafava in the aforementioned congressional race, a liberal Republican at best who dropped out and endorsed the Democrat.

I’d rather have Billy Joel give me a driving lesson than Steele and Gingrich instruct me on how to remake the Republican Party. I’d rather get parenting tips from Britney Spears. Or dancing instruction from Stephen Hawking. In other words, when it comes to the best direction for the GOP to ensure a return to growth, prosperity and security in America, these particular guys have worn out their welcome.

Of course, the idea that the GOP needs direction is nothing groundbreaking. The party absolutely does. But that new Contract with America, or Plan for America, or Recipe for Prosperity or whatever you want to call it should start first by addressing the proper size, scope, role, reach and function of the federal government.

Every issue should be addressed by looking at that argument first. We can create jobs by getting government out of the way and reducing the tax and regulatory burden on American businesses small and large. We can become truly energy independent by lifting government restrictions on drilling offshore and in Alaska and employ an all-of-the-above policy approach. We can reduce health care costs and increase access by kicking government to the back burner and harnessing the power of the free market by opening up interstate competition and allowing small businesses to pool employees. And we can best address education by eliminating the Department of Education and returning discretion to each of the individual states.

People are mad. And while I’m sure that Michael Steele and Newt Gingrich have noticed, I’m not sure they truly understand why. In this era of trillion-dollar entitlement programs and more interference from Washington, D.C. in every aspect of our lives, people want less government, not more. They want sustainability or, even better, prosperity. Steele and Gingrich may talk the talk from time to time, but every chance they’ve been given to walk the walk, they’ve stumbled.

Now is not the time for stumbling. 2010 can be 1994 all over again. But we need direction. And that direction absolutely must come from people who have learned from the mistakes made by a Republican Party moving to the center, not from entrenched Capitol Hill stalwarts who only seem to lean right after they’ve been caught jumping left.

Comments

How 'right' you are Jeff. I don't think Steele or Gingrich really get it and they are not helping conservatives. I'm not sure we need a leader just yet but neither of those two should be considered the spokesperson for us.

2. all caps man says:

WELL SAID.

An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had once failed an entire class.

——————————————–

That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.

The professor then said, "OK,
    we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".

All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.

After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.
    The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.

As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
    The second test average was a D!
    No one was happy.

When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.

The scores never increased as bickering,
    blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.

All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.

Could not be any simpler than that.

Sally

4. Jan says:

Jeff – Spot on!

Part of their contract, plan, or recipe should include term limits and an outline to repeal a bunch of the stupidity already out there. Until we get individuals who place country above career and the power we will continue to have these very same discussions; Republican or Democrat controlled.

They should also outlaw lobbying and make all those special interest groups act like ordinary constituents.

AMEN!

I have my RNC survey in hand and though some of the responses shown at Malkin's site are deliciously funny, I'm choosing to draft a more respectful letter. You've given me some ideas here.

6. Boston Blackie says:

Sally, I think everyone should take that class!

Jeff, you are undeniably correct! You are preaching to the choir, however, in that everyone here *IS* here because we see eye to eye.

I have told the people from the RNC and those peddling Newt's book the same thing and asked them where the leadership is! I asked why Michael Steele hasn't been shouting out the conservative principles of the Republican Party. I have written Steele about the same things.

It really is frustrating!

What really galled me was Scozzafava's endorsing the Democratic candidate after receiving financial help from the Republican Party. How's that for betrayal?!

You are correct–"Frankly, it's a credibility problem."

"…but I wouldn't buy a diet and exercise video made by Rosie O'Donnell and Michael Moore. Why? No, not because they're both on the far left. No, not because they're both a few entrees short of a smorgasbord in the intelligence department." ROFLMAO!!

Whazzup–please, please don't say anything to irk Jeff today. I don't think his patience can withstand it! :-)

Jeff, I like the effect of the B/W pics. Gingrich looks (and has acted) like Satan, and Steele isn't looking any better.

8. Bodenzee says:

Michael Steele is an embarrassment. Is being GOP Chairman so undesirable a job that it’s staffed by the guy who can’t do anything else? Steele is not a leader, and visionary is the last term that would ever describe him.

I fear that today’s electorate is woefully under informed. They’re infatuated by a rock star’s opinion and empty promises, not by fact. They’re impressed by what is in it for them, or what they’ve been told will be in it for them.

It’s not possible to reason with the under educased. They are not unintelligent, Sadly they’re the product of a national education machine that is dominated by a single view…Liberalism. Reason and logical arguments don’t work with them. I see no evidence of US and world history being learned in today's schools. Similarly there’s a paucity of students truly familiar with the operation of our government. How many graduating seniors could correctly paraphrase a section of one Article of the Constitution? Or, could they correctly describe two or three amendments? I think not.

The left, and much of the right have replaced knowledge and fact with emotion and opinion.

I’m now reading “Rules for Radicals” and have ordered “Reveille for Radicals.” It’s imperative that every conservative learn the tools of the other side, and learn them well. The future of this nation is not in the hands of those who are right. It will be determined by those that win.

9. Boston Blackie says:

We need new blood, they are the same old recycled career politicians that sell their souls to the highest bidder.

Off subjest – Jeff, You need to have your request for us to nominate America's Right for the 2009 weblog awards front and center, I don't know when you added it but I JUST noticed it to the right. Your site definitely has my vote and it is a great way to get name recognition.

Great blog Jeff and great comment Sally. I agree that "contract" should be short and sweet. "Government get out of the way!" Nuff Said.

Paul Revere's Riders shared this from News With Views:

CONSTITUTIONAL STRATEGY WE CAN USE

Saul Alinsky penned RULES FOR RADICALS in 1971, in which he asserted that “any revolutionary change must be preceded by a passive, affirmative, non-challenging attitude toward change among the masses of people.” “The radical organizer,” (like Obama, Ayers, and Hillary), he said, “must be dedicated to changing the life of a particular community.” To accomplish this, the organizer must:

”Fan the resentments of the people of a community; fan the latent hostilities of many of the people to the point of overt expression — he must search out controversy and issues…An organizer must stir up dissatisfaction and discontentment {sic}…He knows that values are relative…truth to him is relative and changing.”

We have seen Alinsky’s strategies at work for many decades now in the community organizers like ACORN. Quite obviously, the state controlled media has for years fed the people propaganda, using brainwashing techniques and discontentment and made them open to a desire for “change.” One can do a small amount of research on the web or get Alinsky’s book from the library and understand his entire strategy for revolutionary change. I’d suggest it, as it’s wise to know your enemy.

My friend JB says it quite clearly, “The Marxist strategy is simple… attack on every front at once. Constantly probe for soft spots where they can advance unchallenged. When they meet resistance on one front, they simply advance on another front and return to that issue when the people are looking the other way.

The site at PRR goes on to point out, "Divided, we are sitting ducks! We have only days, weeks, a few months at the outside, to unite and mobilize in a real way. We fail to do that and this thing is OVER!”

Unfortunately, no one is stepping up to guide the many disenfranchised American constitutionalists and patriots as to how they can fight this administration and their Marxist policies that will totally destroy America and her freedoms."

The story behind "the story" presented to the public re Fort Hood and Capt. Hasan and his connection to Virginia Tech:

I disagree. Don't know a lot about Steele, but not that impressed. I have listened to many of Newt's speeches and haven't found a thing I disagree with yet. Regardless of what one may think of him personally, he is a very intelligent man. We need people with his intelligence, and many more to help rebuild the country. We do not need to be eating our own right now.

14. Megan says:

Looking for someone to lead the GOP who is intelligent, truly conservative…with a proven record of fiscal restraint, can work with both sides of the aisle without compromising principles… has integrity, "his own man" and not controlled by the party elites…a gifted speaker, someone who can communicate to the American people and both educate and motivate voters… someone who is compassionate, warm, personable… someone who can effectively debate Barack Obama (or anyone else) without accidentally insulting him, someone who's earned the trust of African-Americans… a recognized name, who has already earned elected office, and experienced the rigors of a national campaign… someone young who can connect with voters of ALL ages… a proven leader with a nation-wide loyal following which can be mobilized…

You are describing Gov. Mike Huckabee.

PLEASE, please take another look. Do your own research; don't let others make up your mind. Read his books for yourself.

Paul Weyrich was originally a huge supporter of Mitt Romney. Before his death, he addressed a crowd of conservatives at a meeting in New Orleans, and said, "I want to say before God and you all: I was wrong." He stated, "Mike Huckabee shares our values more than any other candidate in a generation."

15. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Megan -

I say AMEN to your post. I've been telling Jeff & the readers here the very same thing for a long time.

Huckabee / Hunter 2012!!!

Susan