Pelosi Okay With Uninsured Americans in Jail

As questions go, asking House Speaker Nancy Pelosi if she’s fine with the idea of people serving prison time for failing to procure health coverage is a pretty good one. However, the one question I’d like to ask Ms. Pelosi simply is not being asked. Somebody, please:

Speaker Pelosi, forget the threat of prison time — where in the United States Constitution is Congress or anybody else granted the authority to mandate that Americans acquire health insurance coverage?

Both the General Welfare Clause and the Necessary and Proper Clause, the two traditional provisions cited by liberals to constitutionally justify expansive entitlement programs, were designed to operate only within the enumerated powers granted to Congress by the document itself, specifically Article I, Section 8. Neither is a blank check for the federal government to do whatever it sees fit.

Furthermore, aside from the blanket unconstitutionality of her legislation, Pelosi’s underlying arguments are all wrong. The cost of so-called “uncompensated care,” incurred by the rest of us for services provided by hospital emergency rooms and such to those without insurance, only accounted for less than 2.5 percent of all health care costs during 2008. That’s it. But never let those little things called “facts” stand in the way of idealism and the Democrats’ bloodlust for governmental control. Heck, if they wanted to look at facts, perhaps they could start with the not-so-astronomical 2.2 percent profit margin enjoyed by those evil insurance companies.

Also, does anyone else find it even slightly ironic how Pelosi says that those people living free off the health care system at paying taxpayer expense simply is unacceptable? How is that any different than every other byproduct of Lyndon Johnson’s War on Poverty? How is that any different than the unwed mother of six buying Snickers bars with her food stamp card while chatting with her friend on a new Blackberry? Perhaps Pelosi’s repeated facial surgeries have left her completely unable to smell the fecal matter she’s shoveling. Or, perhaps she just doesn’t care.

The video above, showing how the House Speaker is okay with sending Americans to prison for balking at an unconstitutional mandate should be shown to everybody in the nation. Everybody. These people are actively working to undermine our liberty. These people are actively micturating upon the ideas and ideals on which our republic was founded.

Comments

Every one of the Democrats and plus one Cao-ward voted to establish debtors prison in the USA. And they are giving us the debt to boot! Attention Middle Class – WAKE UP!
    The poor will get subsides for this monstrosity and the rich don’t need them – the Democrats are targeting the Middle Class to go to prison! I’m sure they think we need to experience what the racially profiled, unfairly disadvantaged experience behind bars. We need to get organized and energized and take these clowns down or Newgate Prison across the pond will be open for business!

2. goddessdivine says:

That question was asked by a CNSNews.com reporter; Walter Williams writes about her reply:

I really think this woman uses the Constitution as toilet paper.

The people who are "buying Snickers bars with her food stamp card while chatting with her friend on a new Blackberry" are Democrats' faithful tools in their quest for control of the reins. The ability to influence the country's politics, domestic or foreign, directly or indirectly, must be taken – by force of arms if necessary – away from these people. do I have to cite the "tree of liberty must be watered" quotation yet again?

This entire regime is a dangerous, sneaky, dishonest, conniving pack of Chicago rejects!

EARLY on I wrote to San Fran Nan to tell her that in my opinion, she was a disgrace to womanhood, and disappointing as a role model, citizen, politician. And, I told her WHY!

The letter was not one to learn how to win friends and influence people, and I hated later realizing that I was right!

5. Teri~Facedown says:

Aren't the American people going to pay for the "subsidized" healthcare anyway? Whatever. I have a sister in law who is pregnant for the third time. It will be the third time the people of the state of Michigan have paid for her to have a baby. (She's on Medicade.) She and her husband filed for bankruptcy and foreclosed on a house this year, yet she also bought a Macbook, moved to an affluent area where they are renting a house, and often buys four dollar cups of coffee. This is the kind of stuff we will be paying for in the healthcare bill. Paying peoples insurance so they can eat steak when they should be on a hot dog budget. Makes me ill.

6. dprosenthal says:

Hurry – someone please get in touch with Ms. P's plastic surgeon – he somehow let her brains slip out while he was "lifting' her face!
    There can be no other logical explanation for this woman's stupidity. If she cares so damn much about the uninsured(most of whom choose to be so) let her pay for their care by adding them onto her government policy as wards of the House. The rest of us are sick of being forced to support people who prefer to spend their money elsewhere or are too lazy to work. Those who really need help with medical costs can be aided for one-tenth the cost she proposes spending.

Someone from my political forum sent me a link to Judge Napolitano, and I enjoyed it so much that I watched several other clips while I was at the YouTube site:

He speaks on constitutionality of government-run healthcare, aspects of the Patriot Act, and more.

Enjoy!

Let's throw Pelousy in jail instead!

Lisa in TX

Every lawyer, pundit, etc., I've heard or read on the subject has said emphatically that the Federal government has no constitutional authority to make citizens buy insurance. It's not like auto insurance and licenses, which allow you to use the public roads. It's not like home insurance, which protects loans made by lenders.

Two responses by the public come to my mind. One is a class action suit against the federal government by millions of citizens if it tries this outrage. If not a class action, it is a sure thing (I believe) that the courts will be awash in individual lawsuits before you can say "Pelosi is a burnt-out, wilted flower child."

The other response comes from the states. Faced with a mandate of this sort that is plainly overreaching on the part of the federal government, the state capitals can invoke their right (tenth amendment?) to say "No thanks" to the Fools on the Hill and Dear Leader. The implications would be interesting, up to and including a constitutional convention.

I do not think the situation will get that far, myself. The "debtors prison" proviso, which Pelosi speaks of without batting an eye (even if she could), just won't happen. Then again, in these times it could.

Let me know if I have this all wrong. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't want to be one. But I did play a gangster once in a sixth grade play, and that may have given me some sense for what's going on up on that damned Hill.

JV

10. Dee says:

As Clint Eastwood once said "Go ahead, make my day".

11. Jan says:

Rix – While I think you have a good head on your shoulders and have seen much more than I have of this type of situation, I must respectfully disagree with your statement. I do not believe we need to take up arms – just yet. I will be willing if and when that need arises. Until then, I think there are numerous options to deal with these issues. I think it is high time to reform our welfare program(s). Repeal some of the disasterous legislation on the books. Make those physically capable of working earn their money. Quit making it so easy for them to stay on these programs. We also need term limits so that we no longer have career politicians. There are so many things that we can do that does not require bloodshed. These are my fellow countrymen/women and I'd rather try other methods first.

Jan:

I'll start with one example that, on a personal level, impressed me a lot. There was one lady who worked with me. She was nice and attractive, but a bit lightheaded and used to, ahem, sleep around a lot. One day, she suddenly declared that she is getting married. I asked her, "You seemed to be enjoying your life, isn't it a bit early for you to settle down?" And she answered, "Of course it is too early! But when I am older and want to marry, nobody will take me!"

Why did I tell this simple story? I might agree with you that for now, it is too early to consider an armed uprising. The problem is, however, that when you decide it's about time, you won't be able to. Look around. The "silent majority" may not be silent anymore but neither it is a majority, and will be even less of a majority when the amnesty goes through. The Second Amendment is dying a death of thousand paper cuts, the only thing between it and complete oblivion being a frail, 78 year old man in a black robe. Net Neutrality and Fairness Doctrine will take care of the only two communication means conservatives can rely upon. And the elections are no respite, either: there will be no Reagan Revolution in 2010, and come 2012, you'll learn the true meaning of the term "voting fraud".

So, please reconsider your argument. Too early is no good but too late is way, way worse.

No, a better question to ask Pelosi is this…. Now, that AG Holder is stupidly putting the US citizens in danger with trying the gitmo detainees in fed. courts in NY, … instead of being treated like enemy combatants that should be in a military tribunal (where they belong)…. are you gonna throw them in jail because they can't afford your unconstitutional healthcare reform plan or would that be unamerican to do that to them, Nancy while you treat the US citizens like dirt?
    Tanya

14. IT'S TOO LATE BABY, YEAH, IT'S TOO LATE says:

Rix is right, and eloquent.

15. Steve says:

"those people living free off the health care system at taxpayer expense"..

Isn't that what Congress is doing? Just a different system, but the same people footing the bill. Put the Congress and government on the same health care system that we are on!!! And tax them to help pay for it!

16. Jerry Julian says:

Wishing you and yours a very happy and prosperous new year !

17. Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows no good.

Trackbacks

1. [...] I don’t know how much it will matter.  This single issue could ground the former Speaker’s campaign before it even had the chance to get off the ground. My only question is whether Newt will go so far as Nancy Pelosi and recommend that uninsured Americans be imprisoned? [...]

2. [...] I don’t know how much it will matter.  This single issue could ground the former Speaker’s campaign before it even had the chance to get off the ground. My only question is whether Newt will go so far as Nancy Pelosi and recommend that uninsured Americans be imprisoned? [...]