‘Frightening Insensitivity’

Assigned Reading: Obama’s Frightening Insensitivity Following Shooting
(FROM: NBC Chicago)

After news broke out of the shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Texas, the nation watched in horror as the toll of dead and injured climbed. The White House was notified immediately and by late afternoon, word went out that the president would speak about the incident prior to a previously scheduled appearance. At about 5 p.m., cable stations went to the president. The situation called for not only his trademark eloquence, but also grace and perspective.

But instead of a somber chief executive offering reassuring words and expressions of sympathy and compassion, viewers saw a wildly disconnected and inappropriately light president making introductory remarks. At the event, a Tribal Nations Conference hosted by the Department of Interior’s Bureau of Indian affairs, the president thanked various staffers and offered a “shout-out” to “Dr. Joe Medicine Crow — that Congressional Medal of Honor winner.” Three minutes in, the president spoke about the shooting, in measured and appropriate terms. Who is advising him?

Anyone at home aware of the major news story of the previous hours had to have been stunned. An incident like this requires a scrapping of the early light banter. The president should apologize for the tone of his remarks, explain what has happened, express sympathy for those slain and appeal for calm and patience until all the facts are in. That’s the least that should occur.

I saw this yesterday and was stunned. I knew that, even if I didn’t comment on it, someone else would have — I didn’t expect it to be an NBC affiliate in the president’s home town. I certainly didn’t expect it to be such a ringing indictment of a man who fundamentally holds disdain for the military, and while the account stopped short of that assessment, the use of “frightening insensitivity” in the headline, coupled with the statement that “Democrats across the country have real reason to panic” was more than I thought I would hear.

As incredible as it was, watching this display so staggeringly devoid of compassion, common sense and mere public relations instinct, I cannot help but think that it was planned exactly this way. Indian comments first, Fort Hood comments a distant second. I absolutely refuse to think that Barack Obama’s handlers–Axelrod, Emanuel, et al.–would be clueless and stupid enough to allow him to go down the road he traveled.

Comments

1. John Feeny says:

I have to say, this is the first indication that what I was feeling when I watched yesterday is shared by a great many more people. This is a dangerous, dangerous man occupying the White House.

Jeff, These are the elites. They are our betters, the new aristocracy. And just like the British and French elites of the 18th century they have no connection with the common people or even with reality. If we don't get these people out and go back to what this country was intinded to be then it will be just another failed empire.

Nate, Birmingham, AL

BO covering the American Indian visit before addressing the Ft Hood massacre is upsetting. I'm wondering if he feels the American Indians are more important to talk about than immediate issues. Say….didn't he get adopted by American Indians? And aren't there huge sections of the Obamacare bill that provide special and enhanced medical coverage to the American Indians?

It makes one go…."HMMMMMMMM….."

It says a lot when the Chicago NBC affiliate simply announces that its hometown president is a blatant embarrassment; and, yes, I agree with you, John Feeny.

The Resident-in-Charge is a mouthpiece, not a leader.

Jeff, I went to sleep about midnight while listening to talk radio. The news had come on, and WSB was talking about the insensitivity of Obama/Soetoro's response to this unbelievable horror at Fort Hood that had absolutely shocked the nation. I knew you would have something on this first thing this morning.

I learned about it while in the car on the way to Sarah's yesterday. Sarah, usually a quiet, soft-spoken woman, was absolutely fit to be tied–so much so that I told her she was in the worst mood I'd ever seen her in 31 years!

"Just let them keep coming in! They are here to kill us all! Just let them keep coming! I am REALLY ANGRY about this! There is NO REASON our soldiers and the civilian had to die on American soil! What is Homeland Security doing? NOTHING!"

More proof the he does not care one bit about American servicemen. He leaves them to die in Afghanistan without a mission and makes jokes on National TV before turning on his "sad" face for the camera.

Watching it, you can see where on the teleprompter it said "now look solemn or sad" when he got to speaking about the shooting. This POS cares nothing about America, just himself. Unfortunately if he is impeached, Biden moves up and so does Pelosi. Not sure if America can handle it. Have to sit back and wait for the next elections (if the won allows them) to get this fixed.

6. Jan says:

We have watched the actions/behaviors of this man and those around him for more than a year now. We have analyzed and made predictions based on what we have seen. Are we really that surprised when he acts exactly as analysis has suggested?

I just hope that he continues to act exactly this way. He will bring himself down. By these types of behaviors the majority in the nation will see for themselves what we here have known for over a year now.

God bless all those involved in this incident at Fort Hood.

I support every president we have, regardless of whether I voted from them or not. HOWEVER, I am very disappointed in President Obama and how he handled this terrible tragedy here in our country….on our soil. As the facts are starting to unfold, it does seem that it was the work of one single extremist who took the cowardly way out rather than do what he signed up for…serve our country. No 7 virgins for him, but hopefully a firing squad at Leavenworth.
    I would have expected our eloquently speaking President to have more to say, and to take the opportunity to try and convince the people that hate him that he has an ounce of compassion for these people. What a disappointment.

8. California Mom says:

Jeff, I agree with everything you said, but I'm confused about one thing…

"I cannot help but think that it was planned exactly this way"

Why would he act so horribly on purpose? Is it because he is "siding with the Muslims’?" How would it benefit him to act so cold? I know this man is heartless and could care less about any of us, but wouldn't it 'look' better if he was compassionate?…I'm confused.

Say what you will about George W. Bush, he would have never, ever, ever, ever done such a thing.

laura

10. Lilly says:

I saw that this morning too and was surprised until I read it. They are trying so hard to blame his "people" (speech writers, advisers, etc.)and give him a mulligan. I miss a President that actually cares about our military.

11. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

I am sickened by what happened at Ft. Hood & disgusted with this pretender. He similarly dismissed the shootings in Little Rock not long ago.

I am also confused by your statement that this was "planned that way" – please explain.

May God comfort the victims & their loved ones.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

Susan

Jeff, you certainly aren't stupid so you are likely deaf and blind if you refuse to see it: HE DOES NOT CARE WHAT WE THINK OF HIM! Either he is still giddy of how easily his scam worked on those "dumb whities", or he got assurances that there will be no elections in 2012.

With that in mind, he can afford little emotional honesty. For Barack Hussein Obama, a citizen of Indonesia and/or Britain, Muslims killing Americans is not a reason to be somber. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually struggling to contain a smile during the speech.

13. Uncle Rick says:

C'mon folks, let's choose our words more carefully and not be led by the media. An 'injury' is what you get when you fall off a ladder or close the car door on your finger. When you get shot or blown up, it's called a 'wound'. Injuries are accidental, wounds are deliberate on somebody's part.

14. AFRICAN AMERICAN, NO AFRICAN says:

Dangerous, such an UNDERSTATED description of this Muslim, communist buffoon who got elected on the color of his skin.