Erring on the Side of Americans

Despite shortage at home, Pentagon intends to offer H1N1 vaccine to Gitmo detainees

When our brave soldiers capture, on the battlefield, a radical Islamic terrorist in the act of killing or attempting to kill Americans, thanks to Barack Obama’s administration they are required to inform them through reading Miranda rights of their privilege against self-incrimination as preserved by the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution. But the second they’re subject to additional scrutiny in how they defended their lives during a firefight, our soldiers’ right to due process is thrown out the window and, instead they’re decried as murders and rapists and terrorists themselves by the likes of Rep. Jack Murtha and Sen. John Kerry.

Should our fighting men and women be unfortunate enough to be captured in the streets of Iraq or the mountains of Afghanistan, they are murdered, their bodies burned and mutilated, their corpses dragged through marketplaces and hung from bridges. On our side, however, no jail cell is nice enough for the terrorists we capture. They are offered hot, religiously-sensitive meals, time for prayer, soccer balls, and thanks to this administration a chance at enjoying constitutional rights reserved for the very American citizens they dream about slaying.

And now, as schoolchildren are waiting and patients coast to coast are turned away due to a critical shortage in H1N1 vaccines, we learn this weekend that the Pentagon has decided to offer the vaccines to inmates at the detainee facility Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

Detainees held at facilities like those at Gitmo, say Pentagon officials, are at high risk when it comes to the pandemic. Never mind that everyone who comes and goes from the facility are logged in officially. Never mind that our nation’s schools are veritable incubators for viruses big and small, nasty and benign. And never mind that Americans are the ones lacking the vaccine, while people who kill and want to kill Americans are on the short list.

I personally like what Rep. Mike Pence had to say on the matter, admitting on Friday that while we shouldn’t rule out offering the vaccine to inmates at Gitmo, because of the “acute shortages” facing actual American citizens, the proposal by the Pentagon should be suspended “until such a time that sufficient vaccinations are made available to the American public.”

But I think it goes even deeper than the common sense approach advocated by Rep. Pence. This goes to the heart of this administration’s–and, really, the left’s–complete inability to discern good from evil. In the eyes of people like Barack Obama, the American people and American allies are playing second-fiddle to every terrorist organization or dictatorial regime in search of legitimization. Barack Obama, in his Cairo speech, acknowledged the tragedy of the Holocaust but in accordance with his penchant for moral equivalence rationalized that, on the other hand, the Palestinians wandering the desert for six decades was just as tragic. He sided with former Honduran President Manuel Zelaya, who attempted to usurp that nation’s constitution and extend his term as the Honduran leader. He shipped $900 million in aid directly to the Gaza Strip and Hamas leadership. Heck, the White House even refused to appear on Fox News Channel, but has shown no such trepidations about sitting down with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-Il, or sharing a smile and a handshake with Hugo Chavez.

Maybe I’m wrong or just closed-minded, but I want a president and an administration which errs on the side of security rather than political correctness, of a hard line rather than detente-at-all-costs, of freedom rather than totalitarianism. And, while I may believe that the hype surrounding the H1N1 virus is overblown and politically convenient, I want an administration that errs on the side of protecting Americans rather than those who wish to do us harm.

Comments

You obviously have bought into the swine flu hysteria. The news media in other countries are reporting the facts about how dangerous the swine flu vaccine is and about the people who are dying from taking it.

Dr. Mercola has extensive articles on the swine flu at his website. Don't buy into swine flu hysteria.

I have a nagging feeling that this time, AR's outrage is fake. Not so long ago it maligned the vaccine, and most commenters – myself including – seemed convinced that the H1N1 panic is artificial and the vaccine does more harm than good. Why not to pump it into terrorists? the guaranteed bonus is that the medics will be able to observe a scientifically clean, no-outside-contact-allowed test.

Last night on the news, a clip of Joe Biden showed him saying that it was "stupid" to give the Gitmo detainees the H1N1 vaccination in the light of the shortage of the vaccine for American citizens. The detainees should have to be at the very end of the line to receive it, Biden said.

Sarah asked me, "Who was that?" I told her that it was Joe Biden, the Vice President of the United States.

"I wasn't sure," she replied. "It's the first time I've ever heard him say something that made any sense!"

5. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Bought into the hysteria? Not at all.

Others have, though, and this is just another example where, to the administration, Americans come second.

Good point, Jeff!

Oh, Sarah went to the doctor last week and got a "regular" flu shot. She asked him what he thought of the H1N1 flu vaccine. He told her, "Not so much." He then asked Sarah if she wanted the shot. "Not so much," she smiled back.

7. cher-pa says:

Everyone i know that have recieved their seasonal flu shots this year have come down with h1n1 within a week.Scares the heck out of me.I say give them to everyone in this Administration.

8. GREEN EGGS AND HAM says:

Thought Muslims had nothing to do with anything swine.

9. Boston Blackie says:

Here in the People's Republic of mASSachusetts a similiar situation where the state is vaccinating prisoners first even though they have run out of the vaccine (not that I planned on getting it)Hell let the prisoners get sick, it's not like they have anything else to do, like go to work and make a living. It's the DAMN FLU, let's get over it.

10. Nancy, Connecticut says:

My good friend's accountants 12 year old daughter just died from swine flu in Rhode Island. She was a premier soccer player and seemingly healthy. The autopsy (just saying that nauseates me) showed that she might have undiagnosed asthma. Must not have been very bad in light of her athletcism. Her older sister got swine and recovered. The 12 year got it on Thursday night and by Monday morning was dead. I have an 11 year old daughter with asthma and I'm afraid. Please don't tell me that it's all "hype". I've never heard of so many young people dyng of the flu-usually it's the elderly. Only 2/3rds of the children that have died have "underlying medical conditions". I want the vaccine for my child and shouldn't have to wait in line behind the scum at Gitmo!