Talking the Talk, and Walking the Walk

Texas Congressman John Carter corrects an error, posts federal tax returns online, and encourages Tim Geithner and Charlie Rangel to do the same

Rep. Carter on the House floor yesterday.

Mr. Speaker, this past week I discovered I made an error on my House Financial Disclosure forms for 2006 and 2007. I properly reported my stock dividends, sales, and capital gains on my federal tax returns and paid all taxes in full. I also properly reported dividend income on my stocks and the sale amount of my stocks on my House Financial Disclosure form in both years. My error was in leaving out the amount of the capital gains from the sales. I have amended my returns to reflect those amounts. None of this changed my net worth a penny. There is a good editorial on this in today’s Roll Call and I urge each member to read it.

To make the point on this issue of my amending my House disclosure, and my continued campaign on the Rule of Law, I have today posted my federal tax returns for 2006 and 2007 online. I am not the first to take this step to clear up the matter. President Barack Obama did the same last year when he discovered he made the identical omission as mine. He amended his return, and posted his federal taxes online.

Now it’s time for House Ways and Means Chairman Rangel and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner to pony up. The only reason for these two to hold back is if they have something to hide.

Chairman Rangel failed to pay income tax for over a decade on his Caribbean resort property, while Secretary Geithner evaded withholding taxes on income from the International Monetary Fund over multiple years. Neither has paid any penalty on their violations, as would have the average American taxpayer. The American public needs to know that Chairman Rangel has not again failed to report or pay federal taxes while still not paying penalties and interest on his previous evasions, all while overseeing the IRS.

They also need to know that the Secretary of the Treasury is not using his high station to avoid complying with the same IRS rules as his fellow citizens. While he is asking his fellow taxpayers to pay a 20-50% penalty for failure to report and pay income tax on foreign deposits, he has failed to pay a nickel on multiple years of evading federal taxes on income from the IMF.

My opinion is that anyone who fails to disclose income and pay their taxes should pay a reasonable penalty with interest. If not, our tax code becomes unenforceable.

But I also believe the higher law is the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Secretary Geithner cannot legally charge his fellow Americans penalties when he has paid none himself. That is a violation of the Constitution.

Next week I will introduce legislation dealing with the Treasury Secretary’s failure to abide by the same tax laws as the rest of the country. So if anyone was thinking I would slack off defending the Rule of Law because of a House Disclosure error they obviously have another thing coming. Thank you, Mr. Speaker, and I yield.

Comments

1. COMMON SENSE ROCKS says:

A W E S O M E

Good heavens! A real leader!

3. YOU WROTE THE CODE FOOL says:

Rangel should be run out on a rail.

4. GRIEVE W FAMILY v PHOTO OP says:

DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. – Standing in the pre-dawn darkness, President Barack Obama saw the real cost of the war in Afghanistan: The Americans who return in flag-covered cases while much of the nation sleeps in peace.

In a midnight dash to this Delaware base, where U.S. forces killed overseas come home, Obama honored the return of 18 fallen Americans Thursday. All were killed in Afghanistan this week, a brutal stretch that turned October into the most deadly month for U.S. troops since the war began.

The dramatic image of a president on the tarmac was a portrait not witnessed in years. Former President George W. Bush spent lots of time with grieving military families but never went to Dover to meet the remains coming off the cargo plane. Obama did so with the weight of knowing he may soon send more troops off to war.

5. goddessdivine says:

I like this guy. 1st step is to make Geithner pay the penalties. 2nd step is to remove him. Seriously; isn't it rather embarrassing to have a Treasury Secretary that fails to pay his own taxes?!

Jeff, I sent you an email this week re the "Government Accountability Office's Mission."

The GAO examines the use of government funds.

Why has the Fed not been audited?

What is the $13 trillion that Ron Paul says is missing?

What's up with TARP funds?

Why can't The People get any answers?

Goddess–

Yes, but it's even more embarrassing (to the point of disgraceful) that Cabinet members have not paid their taxes, or at least couldn't get confirmed because of it. And, with buds that Obama/Soetoro has around him, what makes me believe that the Resident has paid his own?

Pitiful few under the Dome are interested in integrity.

8. GAIL IS RIGHT, THO says:

Gail, quit acting like this is America anymore.

Regarding above comment, rail, then tar and feather.

I thought the whole point of getting elected to Congress is that one could stop paying taxes…