Corzine’s Green Re-Election

Assigned Reading: Corzine’s Money Fuels His Comeback
(FROM: New Jersey Star-Ledger)

I especially like this part:

Corzine, a former Wall Street executive, has spent $23.6 million on the general election, compared to Republican Chris Christie’s $8.8 million and independent Chris Daggett’s $1.2 million, according to the state Election Law Enforcement Commission.

Corzine donated or loaned his general election campaign $22.6 million of its $24.1 million, writing checks to cover TV ads, several pollsters and a $15,000 hall rental for President Obama’s visit to Fairleigh Dickinson University.

The Democrat has now dedicated more than $120 million of his own money in his campaigns. He spent a combined $100 million on successful bids for U.S. Senate in 2000 and governor in 2005.

Gosh, if nothing else, Corzine can say that his bid for re-election was supported by the people of the Garden State. Good grief.

Of course, poking fun at the New Jersey governor on this issue has a bit of a slippery slope to it. It’s no secret that I was a fan of Mitt Romney’s candidacy in 2008 and hope he runs again in 2012 (though I cannot promise allegiance), and that Romney contributed a whole lot of his considerable wealth to his campaign. But it wasn’t 90 percent.

Corzine can do what he wants with his money. I just hope it doesn’t include buying the State House (again).

Comments

Contributions or your own money, it doesn't matter, numbers like that disgust me. No typical American can participate in government if that is what it takes to have a chance of getting elected.

It always amazes me how many multiple of millions of dollars these people spend of thier own money in order to land a job making a couple hundred thousand. The things that make you go hmmm…

Corzine is not spending money, he is investing it. Imagine all the funds he'll get his waggly fingers into when he's reelected – and reelected he will be, mark my words, because the scale of voting fraud in Newark and Camden is unheard of in your rustic, not-yet-progressive-enough Pennsylvania.

4. I SEE ME, MM MM MMM says:

To 3:43, they are camera whores, plain and simple. Its worth millions to them to go home in the evenings and see their ugly selves on the networks.

Anyone who spends this kind of money to be elected doesn't
    deserve the office they seek.

———
    ver word: tensl
    (twinkle twinkle)

6. Scriv says:

I had a thought… I know it is not mandated/implied/suggested in our Constitution but it would 'create a more perfect union' in the aspect of a republic. What if political office was more like JURY DUTY. People weren't elected as much as appointed. You start with a lottery version of the public. Then from that pool, they vote for leaders. After that, the leaders vote for leaders. I know it is impractical in the real world but it would be a beautiful thing if it could happen. That way we can ensure the "public servant" job title was a reality. This may work in a municipality or county, but beyond that it becomes very complex; enough to rival and eclipse our current form. Too bad it is not more practical, or it would be the ONLY way that the "common man" would be truly represented. The beauty of this argument is that it is flirted with but not implicated by our current constitution. Such advanced and brilliant minds they were, somehow trumped by the "obamas" and "pelosi's", and the "reids's" and the "etc.'s" of our time. The career politicians have to GO!!! The time of the CITIZEN has come!!! (((Sorry about the typos, I have had a few drinks and became passionate about my beliefs (not that is what it takes, I get in trouble at work on a regular basis since the conservative platform is outnumbered 1:10). That is the dangerous platform—> the PASSIONATE CONSERVATIVE. Those who retain conservative values are the ones who contain their emotions — Our children are taught to react on emotions — An emotional conservative will sweep all the stages now —> Get mad! —> Get Sad! –> Get REAL!!!!—>Then WE will SUCCEED!!! That is the path to success for us "rational" beings. Any other way gives an opening to those who wish to taint and disrupt our message.)))

7. YOU'VE BEEN SERVED says:

Scriv, I LOVE IT.

I hope Corzine gets the snot beat out of him in the election.

9. DR OZ, ENT says:

Gail, he is an empty shell of a man, he might not even have snot.

Now I have it figured out! That's exactly what Obama means when he speaks of "green power". :)

11. Jan says:

Just goes to show you that these idiots can't run and win on merit alone. Scriv, you have hit the nail on the head. Outlaw lobbying and make all interested parties submit their concerns like all other constituents. Treat them like all corporations out there who have policies against even taking a fruit basket from a client. Make these 'public servants' just what those words mean.