Safe School Czars Advocates Murder

NOTE: I must have been completely out of my mind when reading this piece at Verum Serum. I completely misinterpreted their argument, and inserted all sorts of venom and vitriol into it that wasn’t there. I’m not one to cover up mistakes, so the post stays as-was-written. I’ve since made an apology–I NEEDED to–and it can be found HERE.

I’m so sorry, again. I know you expect better of me.

– Jeff

Assigned Reading: Safe Schools Czar: ‘Killing Someone Who Calls You a Faggot is not Aberrant Behavior…’
(FROM: Verum Serum)

A great catch and even better write up from the folks at Verum Serum about Obama administration ‘Safe Schools Czar’ Kevin Jennings who, in just the past two weeks or so, has been facing questions about how he mentioned in a speech that he had been inspired by NAMBLA advocate Henry Hay, and how as a school official he condoned a sexual relationship between a 16-year-old boy and an older man.

This time around, Verum Serum dug up a 1998 article in The Advocate in which Jennings actually excused murder as a response to anti-gay slurs. No joke. Here’s the full quote from Jennings in the 1998 piece:

We need to own up to the fact that our culture teaches boys that being “a man” is the most important thing in life, even if you have to kill someone to prove it. Killing someone who calls you a faggot is not aberrant behavior but merely the most extreme expression of a belief that is beaten (sometimes literally) into boys at an early age in this country: Be a man – don’t be a faggot.

As Suzanne Pharr so eloquently explained in her landmark work Homophobia: A Weapon of Sexism, antigay bigotry is inextricably intertwined with the maintenance of “proper” gender roles by which little girls are supposed to be “sugar and spice and everything nice” and boys are supposed to be, well, quite the opposite. When boys take up guns to kill those who torment them with words like “faggot,” we shouldn’t be surprised. They’re just doing what we have taught them to do.

And, because I have neither the time nor the ability at this point to do a better job explaining this than the folks over at Verum Serum, here’s what was said there:

You can read the entire article here – it was originally published in the Advocate in 1998. Jennings wrote this in response to a series of school shootings where, he claims, homophobic harassment was a prime motivator for the violence. But don’t be confused by this – the three “victims” of this harassment were actually the perpetrators of the crimes, which included the murder of seven students and teachers.

And so what’s even more outrageous than the statements above is that Jennings’ sympathies seem to be with the young men who shot and murdered their fellow students. Because they were “just doing what we have taught them to do” in response to being called a “faggot”.

Now look, I think harassment and bullying is a real problem, and schools should aggressively enforce a no tolerance policy with this sort of thing. And cases like these cited by Jennings are real tragedies.

But to suggest that this sort of violence is a direct consequence of the teaching of traditional gender roles in society is just completely outrageous. Even assuming Jennings has the facts right in these cases, how many kids around the country are taunted every year with terms such as “faggot”, or worse, without responding with this level of violence? Whatever that number is, I’d wager that there is an even greater number of children who have been taught traditional gender roles and yet have never directed a gay slur at someone in their life.

I honestly can think of no reasonable explanation for statements such as these from Jennings. And I don’t think he should be given a pass because they were from 10 years ago. Comments like these suggest the existence of beliefs on his part that are just way, way outside the norm of mainstream America.

When news of Jennings’ earlier indiscretions were brought up, the administration and the left had a quiver of excuses, and employed them one at a time. But I’m with the folks at Verum Serum — there is no reasonable explanation for this whatsoever.

Furthermore, how much more do we need before Congress gets involved and really begins to look at the process by which presidents can name these executive appointees? How much more do we need before deciding to really take a hard look at the character of the people serving alongside President Barack Obama in his administration?

Meanwhile, this news comes out only a few days after the House passed a hate crimes bill, something I have several issues with. First, there’s already a motivational component in criminal law. It’s called mens rea, and translated from the Latin it essentially boils down to “guilty mind.” For a particular act to be considered a criminal act, there must be actus reus (the action) and mens rea (a guilty mind). Therefore, to say that there must be weight placed on the motivation behind a criminal’s actions is redundant, as the mechanism for that is already there. Second, the hate crimes legislation is biased toward everybody but straight, white Christian males. If a white man beats a black man, it’s a hate crime. If a straight man beats up a gay man, it’s a hate crime. But when Obama administration Safe Schools Czar Kevin Jennings advocates KILLING somebody in response to a tasteless anti-gay slur, it’s suddenly okay.

Kevin Jennings needs to resign. Now.

Comments

1. whats_up says:

Most of the time you are pretty balanced with your posts. However no where in Mr. Jennings writings did he "advocate" for the murder of anyone.

2. Uncle Rick says:

whats_up has a point. Jennings doesn't seem to be promoting this point of view as much as identifying it and suggesting that it is flawed.

That said, to suggest that the students committed their murders because 'that's what we have taught them to do' is absurd. Who taught them? I never learned that. Did you? did anyone? This is the liberal version of spreading the responsibility for something negative around enough so that no individual need be helde accountable. Those killer kids were wrong and no amount of hand-wringing angst-mongering will change that.

3. Bodenzee says:

I can find no reference to Barry dating, or having a girl friend before Michelle happened on the scene. This is puzzling because I never met a celibate 27 or 28 year old male.

Does Barry have more in common with Kevin Jennings than the MSM is telling us?

You might like this article:

5. Morgen says:

Jeff, unfortunately it seems you have misinterpreted our post on Verum Serum. I think it's fair to question whether Jennings was excusing the violence described in the story to some degree, by holding society to blame rather than the perpetrators.

However, I think the more salient point is that Jennings blames this violence on nothing more than the teaching of traditional gender roles. In other words, the fact that we teach boys to be boys and girls to be girls inevitably leads to these sorts of murderous rampages. Which is just outrageous – I doubt most Americans would agree with this.

The fact that he also seems to be more interested in looking for "root causes" of the violence rather than holding the perpetrators responsible makes him no different than most liberals.

And so I think it's a big overreach to claim that he is advocating or condoning violence against those who utter gay slurs.

Respectfully,

Morgen

6. goddessdivine says:

We have a 'Safe Schools Czar'?! Are you kidding? Give me a break.

And I've never understood this 'hate crime' bologna either. A crime is a crime. Period.

The worst thing about this whole hate-crimes nonsense is that Judy Shepperd is still out there crying over her dead son.

Despite the fact that it has now been proven that he WASN'T beaten up and killed because he was gay.

Sad.

Is Judy related to Cindy Sheehan?

8. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Morgen, and everybody else —

I did overreach. A lot. And seeing the comments as they came in all day while being unable to post anything of substance to explain myself and apologize has been frustrating as can be.

Because courts were closed for the holiday, I had the day off. Unfortunately, I also had an exam for a joint JD/MBA class I'm taking. All day, I was limited to my mobile phone, and wasn't able to address anything until now.

To Morgen, I really need to apologize, and will be doing so in a new post. It's not often that I poop the bed, so to speak, as completely and utterly as I've done so here. And if my mistake reflects poorly on myself, that's one thing — but because I projected my mistake over on those guys, I need to apologize.

It's 11:45pm. I finally just sat down at the computer. Give me a minute.

My apologies,

Jeff

9. whats_up says:

No worries, I have done many stupid things when a) tired, or b)pissed off. Happens to us all.

10. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Still, I can't stand it.

Thank you for pointing it out. You get berated here more often than not (sometimes by me), but I'm glad you're here.

Jeff

PS — By the time I'm done with you, you're going to be a Libertarian. :)

11. whats_up says:

LOL,

I just might become a libertarian. It is nice to be able to civil political discussions with those across the aisle. When we get down to it we have more in common then not. Thanks for a great site, keep up the good work.