Is it 2014 yet?

Sen. Graham crosses the aisle to work with Kerry, Democrats on Senate cap-and-trade bill

Over the weekend, news emerged that South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham is now working with Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry on his cap-and-trade legislation.

In a Sunday New York Times editorial entitled Yes We Can (Pass Climate Change Legislation), Graham and Kerry write that they “agree that climate change is real” and are “convinced that we have found both a framework for climate legislation to pass Congress and the blueprint for a clean-energy future that will revitalize our economy, protect current jobs and create new ones, safeguard our national security and reduce pollution.”

Senators, if you want to revitalize the economy, cut taxes on business and reduce energy costs seen by American families at their kitchen tables as they pay bills every month — don’t increase them.

And if you want to protect current jobs, don’t sign off on a bill which will kill the coal industry in America, an industry which Barack Obama already admitted to dreaming of its bankruptcy, an industry employing 55,000 Americans in one coal-rich state–West Virginia–alone.

Furthermore, if you want to create new jobs, consider the 250,000 to 750,000 new jobs which would be created by drilling in ANWR, or the hundreds of thousands more which would be created by offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and the eastern and western seaboard.

In terms of national security, consider the security which would accompany true energy independence. We are the Saudi Arabia of coal. We have more than a century of energy buried in now-accessible oil shale. We have the ingenuity to build new nuclear facilities. And we have copious amounts of oil and natural gas just waiting to be tapped, not to mention plenty of sunlight and an abundance of hot air, especially coming from Capitol Hill. Do something. Now. And do something that does not require losing American jobs, or importing fuels which we already have in spades.

And, finally, with regard to reducing pollution, I can only wonder if the cap-and-trade bill being worked on by Graham and Kerry will somehow apply to the Chinese. Or to India. Because if they don’t get on board with the same standards–which they will not–then our entire manufacturing base, or what’s left of it thanks to the regulatory and tax burden already in place, will go there. Where the cost of doing business is exponentially less. Also, the simple “border tax” on items produced in those countries suggested by the two senators would have far-reaching consequences in trade and beyond. Prices on those goods would increase, forcing the American people to bear the brunt of legislation meant to save the world from a complete lie.

Is Graham’s support for the Democrats’ new climate bill a surprise? Of course not. Lindsey Graham, while a very nice man in person, is a younger version of failed presidential candidate and former war hero Sen. John McCain. He’s never met an illegal immigrant he doesn’t want to provide with amnesty. He buys into the colossal hoax which is climate change. And he does so enough that he’s willing to destroy the American economy for the sake of saving the Earth from this mythical threat concocted solely as a vehicle for global socialism.

To say that I want Lindsey Graham selling State Farm insurance right next to my old newspaper on West North First Street in his hometown of Seneca, SC is understatement of the year.

Unfortunately, Graham is not up for re-election until 2014. Fortunately, by that time, I’ll have been down in the Palmetto State for four years and, depending upon how much of my student loan debt has been paid off by then, I’ll either vigorously work for whomever is looking to put Graham to pasture — or, dag-gummit, I’ll do it myself. I’ve had enough.

Graham needs to explain, to the people of his state, exactly what his cap-and-trade bill will do to the industrial base, especially toward the mountains. After all, the three largest industries in the state are textiles, transportation equipment manufacturing, and wood product production. How will those folks be affected by anti-growth measures proven detrimental, instituted in the name of protecting us against a farcical threat perpetuated by junk science? What’s going to happen to the hard-working Americans employed by BMW, Electrolux, Michelin Tire, Westinghouse Electric, and Sonoco-Crellin?

I know the folks in the Golden Corner. I know the people in Seneca, in Easley, in Clemson, Central and the rest of Pickens and Oconee County. I know the folks in the Lowcountry. Most of that state is absolutely clamoring for real conservative leadership [that won't take weekend trips to the proverbial Appalachian Trail]. Most of the folks I met during the time I worked for that tiny little newspaper, they don’t want a senator who talks about what the government can do for them, and then orchestrates what the government will do to them — they want someone that will get government out of the equation and just let the people be.

It makes me so angry that I can taste it. Graham needs to spend more time in Walhalla and less in Washington. Those people are in trouble economically. They need jobs. They need food on the table. Chasing this climate change hoax with unbelievably costly solutions simply will not help any of them, and it saddens me thinking about how many of those kind people I met while working in that area, already teetering on the edge of financial ruin, will be pushed over by the actions of a man who has an unreconcilable hunger for big government, yet who talks about fiscal conservatism out of the other corner of his mouth as if he has any credibility in the matter.

I’m done with Graham. Absolutely, positively done with Graham. During the immigration debate, he ranted about the “loud folks,” concerned Americans who stuck up for our sovereignty and for the rule of law in the same way that so many voiced their opinions on health care reform. He lost me then. Now, he’s downright offended me.

Mark my words. If there is even a glimmer of light at the end of my own financial tunnel by the time 2014 rolls around, and if there is nobody else ready for the challenge, I will singlehandedly take Senator Lindsey Graham down in the Republican Party primary.

Comments

1. Pat in NC says:

It would be great to have you run for his seat. I have no doubt that Lindsey "means well" but he is far from conservative. I well remember his pronouncements about those of us who did not support amnesty. I wonder who some of these guys think they represent–it is not the citizens of the USA.

Lindsey Graham makes me sick! I can't tell you how much I LOATHE the man (man?). He is an annoying Rino who needs to be kicked out of office ASAP….geez!

Lisa in TX

3. John Feeny says:

My fear is that no matter how hard we work and make our voices heard, these Marxists will find a way to ram through all of their agenda items. My only question is, can any/all of this be undone through legislation if and when the Republicans take back control of Congress?

I concur completely. Those of us that could see through President Obama also saw Senator McCain for what he is…weak. When then, Presidential Candidate Obama, would stand to speak Candidate McCain never asked him to explain anything in detail…not that Mr. McCain could provide much detail either but he always gave him a pass on the issues. To me, that shows weakness. And I believe the weakness was due to the fact that McCain 'believed' Candidate Obama was correct in a lot of his presentation of the 'facts'.

Senator Graham, a 'mirror' image of Senator McCain, believes along the same lines. These men have lost their ability to stand for what their constituents want / believe, their time has past.

Much like the remainder of the Congressional Body in this country. If all American's join together in 2010 and vote out any Representative or Senator that has served more than two terms, we can impose our own term limits for Congress. If America can perform this in 2010 and 2012, Congress may understand that American's have put them on notice…"2010; Start Rescinding Congress"

5. Lilly says:

Yeah Jeff! and all of us her on AR will cheering you on! I knew they wouldn't shelf this bill. If feels like the dems are coming at us from all sides. Try focusing on one bill and they start again with another. Time for more calls and letters!
    I can tell you that Mark Kirk will not be voting for this again. Running for Senate next year has given him a change of heart, lol.

6. Ian Thorpe says:

You can count on $50 from me Jeff – and I'll launder it through my friend in Texas as overseas donations are frowned on.

Butt less of that "We're the Suadi Arabia of coal. WE'RE the Saudi Abrabia of coal, our whole island is built on the stuff. Britain invented coal. And when I come to think of it, we invented Saudi Arabia as well. (the second statement is almost true BTW)

7. Bodenzee says:

There is only one solution, and it must be applied to every senator and representative…all 535 of them.

It's TERM LIMITS. Two terms in the House and one in the Senate. For those that corrupt rapidly I favor a subsequent term in jail.

For those that don't feel this is enough time in office I point to our military. Most officers rotate in less than 4, or 6 years and the job still gets done.

8. Rick Morrow says:

I'm not from your great state but I am from Kerry's state (ouch) Please run against this peice of garbarge Grahm he is nothing but another rhino.
    As a republican we all need to start sending letters to Micheal Steele and have the Republican apparatus twist Grahms arms a bit. I'm so disgusted with men/woman of his ilk.

9. curvypolitics says:

OMG!!! Right before I pulled up your blog, this morning, I read this:

Even the BBC knows we are being manipulated! For goodness sakes, when are people going to wake up?!

Journalist with a question silenced at an Al Gore panel with Q&A. His mic was shot off and was confronted.

see his website at: http://www.noteviljustwrong.com

Cap & Trade, my ass.
    Get lost Graham.

11. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

Senator Schreiber… sounds really good to me!

Susan

12. T R U T H says:
  13. S T U P I D says:

I don't live in his state but I still sent an email (that some intern will read) expressing my disapproval with this turn of events.

15. goddessdivine says:

Right before you got to your disgust with Graham I was thinking how I was really starting to not like this guy. And then BAM! Love the passion in this post. Please run; if not then, sometime in the near future. We need people like you in the Senate. (Or anywhere in Washington for that matter.) I think I can speak for all of us here at AR and say that you have our full support.

16. Kevin says:

I knew there was more than one good reason I liked you (reason 1 being your common sense conservative blog). I had no idea you had a past connection to the great state of South Carolina (as do I).

I'll be in the Upstate of SC this weekend watching my alma mater play football and I'll definitely be taking the pulse of my fellow tailgaters about what they think of the RINO Graham…and to think I used to like the guy.

And I'll point anyone who will listen to this article.

17. carder says:

My dream come true, Jeff. I KNEW you were political material!

The Republicans will continue to spawn RINOs until they abandon the unbelievable, mind-boggling idiocy of open primaries. The logic behind letting one's enemies decide one's strategy and leadership is way above my pay grade.

19. JALAPENO (on a stick) says:

That first photo of Graham makes him look like a ventriloquists dummy…. hmmm, maybe he is…. whose hand and arm is up his behind I wonder?