Welcome to the Welfare State

Detroit. Yesterday. Thousands in line to apply for federal stimulus funds
earmarked to help the homeless.

Audio from one exchange in particular was played on Rush Limbaugh’s radio program today.
That’s right, it’s “Obama money.” From “his stash.”

I have family in Michigan. My father was born there and grew up there, and I spent a great number of holidays during my childhood there. In fact, my 91-year-old grandmother still lives in the outskirts of the Motor City and, because she is very ill and unfortunately fading fast, the probability of me returning to Detroit at some point in the next year is sadly very high. My wife and I were there last year for her 90th birthday. It was tough seeing her through the cobwebs of age. I remember crying as I said goodbye and gave her a hug, likely for the last time.

And as we started our ten-hour journey back to Philadelphia, road construction and a drunk GPS device got us lost downtown. Between seeing my grandmother the way she was, and seeing Detroit the way it was, this was definitely not the Motor City of my childhood.

It’s terrible to see what’s going on inside of Seven Mile. I don’t want to see people homeless, and those fortunate enough to have homes unable to pay bills to maintain them and stay there. But we need to keep in mind why the economy in Detroit and Michigan as a whole is the way it is.

Lawmakers there need to make their state and their cities attractive to business again. Reduce taxes. Temper the regulatory burden. Break the union stranglehold. Only then will jobs come to these people. Only then will lasting change take place.

In the meantime, I’m still trying to keep my blood pressure down after listening to people completely oblivious to where the stimulus money is coming from, and hearing them complain about the inconvenience of standing in line to receive taxpayer money for support. If these people don’t want to stand in line to receive my money and your money for nothing, what motivation do they have to work from nine to five should they be given the opportunity?

Comments

1. John Feeny says:

This is what 40 years of the encroachment of the radicals has wrought upon us…a pathetically dumbed-down populace, people who don't know right from wrong, right from left, and frankly, don't want to. They just want to be taken care of, which was always the plan of these absolute psychos. I really hate thinking this way, but I truly hope that General McChrystal sees the bigger picture…his country is under attack from within, and he should abandon the Taliban for now in order to come home and put the real terrorists behind bars.

This is absolutly frightening. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would see the day that Americans could not comprehend where the money being 'given' to them from the government comes from. There have been so many over the top and shockingly ignorant people that have been exposed wihin the last year or so since Barry 'present' Obama stepped onto the national stage that I really should come to expect actions like this to be the norm rather than isolated outlier actions. A premise as simple as where does the government recieve money from should be a basic 4th grade principle (the general idea not a full fledged knowledge but a general knowledge of the tax idea). I always thought, though now I feel that I was ignorant of the ignorance of this nation, that the general common knowledge of the people would be enough to overcome horrible ideals but now I am starting to think that I may have been horribly wrong. I can only hope that our dear elected officials can admit to themselves what they already know and avoid making choices that will end America as we know it. Because I now know that there are far too many of those that elect our leaders are so terribly misled that we will all suffer. And sadly those seeking election will always inevitably pander to the lowest denominator because it is easier to appease those too dumb to know better than face those who are smart enough to see where we are headed and are trying so ardently to avoid.

3. BUNKER HILL says:

John is right. Its self defense time.

Dear Mr. President:

I'm planning to move my family and extended family into Mexico for my health, and I would like to ask you to assist me.

We're planning to simply walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and we'll need your help to make a few arrangements.

We plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws.
    I'm sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Calderon, that I'm on my way over?

Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:
    1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. Please print all Mexican government forms in English.

4. I want my grandkids to be taught Spanish by English-speaking (bi-lingual) teachers.

5. Tell their schools they need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my grandkids to see the American flag on one of the flag poles at their school.

7. Please plan to feed my grandkids at school for both breakfast and lunch.
    8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do plan to get a car and drive in Mexico, but, I don't plan to purchase car insurance, and I probably won't make any special effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from their president to leave me alone, please be sure that every patrol car has at least one English-speaking officer.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put U S. flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, or have any labor or tax laws enforced on any business I may start.

13.. Please have the president tell all the Mexican people to be extremely nice and never say a critical things about me or my family, or about the strain we might place on their economy.

14. I want to receive free food stamps.

15.. Naturally, I'll expect free rent subsidies.

16. I'll need Income tax credits so although I don't pay Mexican Taxes, I'll receive money from the government.

17. Please arrange it so that the Mexican Gov't pays $ 4,500 to help me buy a new car.

18. Oh yes, I almost forgot, please enroll me free into the Mexican Social Security program so that I'll get a monthly income in retirement.
    I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all his people who come to the U.S. from Mexico.. I am sure that President Calderon won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.

Thank you so much for your kind help. You Rock, Barack!!!!

Rand Duncan

Tully-Wihr Company

5. cher pa says:

These are the type of videos that need to be played over and over again on the radio and on tv commercials.I am so sick of these welfare abusers thinking they are owed something.Like the woman on the first video.She says someone needs to be held accountable for the chaos and the long lines that she had to wait in.Poor thing it must of been hard for these people to get out of bed and stand in a line to collect thousands of dollars.And to thank Barack Obama for this money makes me want to punch something.How much more of this insanity are we supposed to take?

6. Courtney says:

This is why Rix has said many times that we should only have representation with taxation! They don't pay taxes, they shouldn't get to vote!

what or who caused Detroit's problems?

welfare people with a grand sense of self importance and entitlement with no education because they praise ignorance. These people elected a thug, pimping, drug dealing and ignorant city government that robbed the taxpayers blind.

Those who could leave did. Didn't stop the theft, only now it is stolen from the federal grants that are supposed to help keep the city alive. So they are stealing from all of us.

Time to use obama-care on Detroit and let it die. It is to old for change and to keep using money to drag it's pitiful life on would be a waste, so let it die.

8. Teresao says:

I agree with you Jeff. I was born and raised in Detroit. I left when I was 18 and moved my family to the high desert in California. I moved my family to Michigan when they were teenagers so that they could easily find jobs and have a larger choice of careers. How sad it is that this is my home. It is a pit of dispair. Sad, it was once one of the most beautiful cities in the United States. Now on the free money, I think that they figure if Obama is giving it out then they want some help. I know it isn't the American way but it is the begger way and Michigan is left begging and homeless.

9. goddessdivine says:

This just makes me want to vomit.

> road construction and a drunk GPS device got us lost downtown

if you aren't packin', don't forget the gas peddle can be a great self defense weapon.

I was born in PA and live in Michigan now. The economy sucks but there is much hope out here in some random counties. The Governor is as stupid a POS as the people that voted for her (not that we're offered much of an alternative).

Capitalism will rule again. Give it time.

If a few wealth people would start buying up the $1 properties in Detroit and stock piling them, it might stand a chance for "hope and change".

11. Jan says:

This seems to be the mentality from not only those on welfare but those on unemployment as well. The other night at my son's football practice there were three men talking about job searching. Two of them said they had been offered jobs at $11 and $14 an hour and turned them down because they could make more on unemployment. That kind of attitude makes me sick. Your current income is $0. So what if you made $60k before. Because you are bringing home the max in unemployment you will drain the state coffers even though you are capable of working and have been offered work. These people are just as guilty of the begger mentality as what was displayed on the video. Makes me mad……..

12. WHO WANTS MONEY? says:

Now Obama has 1.4 million additional dollars he can hand out to these people. Thank God for the Nobel Peace Prize.

verification word: timmulus
    ebonics for a money giveaway

13. HIDE THE TRUTH says:

Funny how youtube took down that video of the black beggars.

I'm glad my ideas start to sink in, Courtney.

It is truly amazing how much crap we the taxpayers are willing to put up with because it is "legal". Let me conduct a cruel but very effective mental experiment. Say, a law is passed tomorrow – given the disposition of forces in the Congress and the White House, I wouldn't be that much surprised if it actually did – that all children under 16 are to be taken away from families that have at least one registered Republican parent and gathered into "education camps". Will YOU, PERSONALLY, unholster your handgun to protect your own child? Wow, you will, really? Even though it is against the law? So we established that you ARE willing to rise up but lack insentive. Do not worry, Obama will provide it soon.

John Feeny:
    I have to agree. At this point, I'm more than willing to risk a Pinochet-style military coup (which, I hope, the US Army will not take to Pinochet-style extremes) over the status quo.