McChrystal’s Support of Troops Angers Obama

One is a four-star Army general, the other is a community organizer-turned-junior senator-turned-victory averse Commander in Chief. One is currently waging a war halfway across the world, the other is shamelessly trying to avoid a political conflagration among his own base here at home.

And when it comes to the health and safety of the courageous men and women fighting for America overseas, the first man, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, believes that more personnel are needed to stop the bleeding and foment victory. According the London Telegraph the other man, President Barack Obama, is angry that the general even brought up the issue.

An adviser to the administration said: “People aren’t sure whether McChrystal is being naïve or an upstart. To my mind he doesn’t seem ready for this Washington hard-ball and is just speaking his mind too plainly.”

Ed Morrissey over at HotAir.com nails it in one sentence: McChrystal may not know the ways of Washington, but that’s not his battleground.

And, golly gee, wasn’t it the president and the National Security Adviser Gen. Jim Jones who said that the White House wouldn’t politicize the decision to allot more troops? If they’re not politicizing it, what’s the difference if Stan McCrystal is better acquainted with belt-fed ammunition than Beltway positioning?

On the McChrystal affair, something else really bothered me, and this was in the New York Times piece about Gen. David Petraeus cited here at America’s Right earlier today. Because the article discusses Petraeus’ shrinking role in this administration, I couldn’t find a way to work into the previous piece the way it specifically addressed McChrystal’s comments in London:

If anything, General McChrystal’s public comments may prove that General Petraeus might be prudent to take a back seat during the debate. On Sunday, when CNN’s John King asked Gen. James L. Jones, the national security adviser, if it was appropriate for a man in uniform to appear to campaign so openly for more troops, General Jones replied, “Ideally, it’s better for military advice to come up through the chain of command.”

I understand where Gen. Jones is coming from, but this president specifically noted that he wanted to listen to commanders on the ground. McChrystal is the commander on the ground in Afghanistan, and yet we’ve heard that until last week the president had only spoken with him once in a span of 70 days.

The troops currently serving in Afghanistan, currently spilling their blood in an effort being handcuffed by their own leadership, either need the reinforcements necessary to win with honor, or they need to be sent home. Plain and simple. This president has waffled over the decision, preferring to take into consideration the possibility of political fallout from his kook base, rather than the actual needs of the men and women fighting with an American flag patch on their shoulder. Yes, military advice should come up through the chain of command, but if nobody was listening to McChrystal, he was absolutely right to speak out wherever he could.

Comments

Hi Jeff, Not sure if you saw this yet, but it would be great to get your commentary on it.

So he provides the plain English language that they will vote on. They should all be fired if they believe this.

2. UNBELIEVABLE IDIOCY says:

Hey Sen Tom Carper, read my lips, "You're an ASS".

Spoke to him once in 70 days, what a JOKE (obama)! And now I'm hearing that they spoke in person for about 24 minutes aboard scare force one!! NOBAMA!

4. TENN FUGITIVE says:

DANDRIDGE, Tenn. — A wanted felon wanted to get lost in a corn maze, but Jefferson County authorities had other ideas.

WVLT-TV reports that police evacuated the 32-acre maze at Echo Valley Farm around midday Saturday after assault suspect Daniel Lockheart and his girlfriend Vanessa Collins were seen running into the field.

Authorities were not to be deterred by the labyrinth of corn stalks.

Although it did take officers — and their dogs — two hours to find the couple.

The maze was reopened by Saturday evening.

If he looks like a banana republic dictator, talks like a banana republic dictator and behaves like a banana republic dictator, perhaps he should also be ousted by the army like most banana republic dictators are?

6. John Feeny says:

Let's see…leader of our forces overseas, or leader of ACORN?

hmmm…lemme think…who do I want on my team???

Rix is right.

8. SCANNING THE BATTLEFIELD says:

That photo is powerful….. now there is a patriot with intensity.

9. QueMan says:

I am so glad I didn't have to serve under this usurper.

I spent a combined 30 years (active/reserve) in the defense of our country, but this 'vain apologist' just makes my blood boil!

It was bad enough under the Peanut Farmer, Read my lips, the guy who redifined what is is….but we knew where these guys came from and what they stood for — this 'vain apoligist' we have know idea…I really feel for these kids today!

obamacant spent more time at his date night dinner this weekend, than with his War General discussing strategy and protecting our troops.

Hope he enjoyed desert.

maybe he had some impeach cobbler.

11. trailbee says:

I don't mind looking old and stupid, but would there be a good reason why Obama wants to 'waste' our troops? And if so, what is it? I'm not a tactician. It looks like he wants General McChrystal to fail. In a sense, would this not be fratricide by purposeful neglect?

12. Fl gate guy says:

This story reminds me of a guy that was known as LBJ. nuff said?

13. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

Can you or anyone else here at AR weigh in on the theory that he is "wasting" the troops, as trailbee put it, killing by vaccinating with unproven vaccines, forming a civilian army, training UN troops in our country, etc. in preparation for the next manufactured crisis? Am I being paranoid???

Please check out Oathkeepers website.

Susan

14. Linda says:

All I know is that if I had a son or daughter in the military I'd be camped out on the White House front lawn until a decision was made. Let them throw me in jail – but I wouldn't leave, as I'm sure many others wouldn't either.

I'm with you, Rix.

15. bus says:

I think McChrystal know very well more than President obama what is right for war???? and i agree with his needs.

This one is for Jeff!!
    I just found this and I don't know if this is 'real' or if you want to see it,but if it is 'real' maybe there is 'Hope' to expose Obama yet???