Schadenfreude

A lovely show of objectivity from the folks at CNN.

All that sacrifice made by the First Lady. All for nothing.

Well, I guess the International Olympic Committee is just full of hateful racists who cannot come to grips with a black man being president of the United States. Barack Obama came to Copenhagen and pitched his hometown as host of the 2016 Olympic Games, and the IOC said “no, you cannot.”

Sure, there may have been other reasons. Sure, there might have been other, concrete extrinsic concerns. But forget about them — just like Maureen Dowd heard South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson say “you lie, boy,” I could have sworn that the IOC members were all wearing selections from Sen. Robert Byrd’s collection of white hoods. And if they weren’t they surely wanted to, deep down inside. It doesn’t matter that the United States hosted the Atlanta Games in 1996 and the Salt Lake City Games in 2002 and that, other than in Sydney in 2000, the Olympic Games have never been hosted south of the Equator. It doesn’t matter that the IOC could be legitimately concerned about corruption in Chicago. What matters is that the committee said “no.” To Barack Obama. They must have done so–they only could have done so–because he is black.

See how ridiculous that sounds, inserting race where it doesn’t belong?

Call me a heartless right-wing conspirator, but I’m actually smiling today because of this news. But let me be clear — it’s not that I didn’t want the Olympic Games hosted by the United States of America. I love my country, and it is an honor to host the world. It’s that we had a president who along with his wife went to Copenhagen not on behalf of America, but on behalf of their own egos and their own political friends in Chicago. Consider their arguments from this morning:

MICHELLE OBAMA: Some of my best memories are sitting on my dad’s lap, cheering on Olga and Nadia, Carl Lewis, and others for their brilliance and perfection. Like so many young people, I was inspired. I found myself dreaming that maybe, just maybe, if I worked hard enough, I, too, could achieve something great.

But I never dreamed that the Olympic flame might one day light up lives in my neighborhood. But today, I can dream, and I am dreaming of an Olympic and Paralympic Games in Chicago that will light up lives in neighborhoods all across America and all across the world; that will expose all our neighborhoods to new sports and new role models; that will show every child that regardless of wealth, or gender, or race, or physical ability, there is a sport and a place for them, too.

That’s why I’m here today. I’m asking you to choose Chicago. I’m asking you to choose America.

And I’m not asking just as the First Lady of the United States, who is eager to welcome the world to our shores. And not just as a Chicagoan, who is proud and excited to show the world what my city can do. Not just as a mother raising two beautiful young women to embrace athleticism and pursue their full potential.

I’m also asking as a daughter.

See, my dad would have been so proud to witness these Games in Chicago. And I know they would have meant something much more to him, too.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Nearly one year ago, on a clear November night, people from every corner of the world gathered in the city of Chicago or in front of their televisions to watch the results of the U.S. Presidential election. Their interest wasn’t about me as an individual. Rather, it was rooted in the belief that America’s experiment in democracy still speaks to a set of universal aspirations and ideals. Their interest sprung from the hope that in this ever-shrinking world, our diversity could be a source of strength, a cause for celebration; and that with sustained work and determination, we could learn to live and prosper together during the fleeting moment we share on this Earth.

Now, that work is far from over, but it has begun in earnest. And while we do not know what the next few years will bring, there is nothing I would like more than to step just a few blocks from my family’s home, with Michelle and our two girls, and welcome the world back into our neighborhood.

Here’s a man and woman who purport to be law-trained (yet curiously know nothing of and hold disdain for our Constitution), and who were taught exactly how to construct a persuasive argument. If Barack and Michelle Obama had truly petitioned the IOC on behalf of America, they would have spent more time highlighting America’s contribution to the world and what Chicago could bring to the Olympic Games. To their credit, they paid lip service to Chicago’s ethnic diversity, but even in doing that they did so to the extent in which it seemed unnatural and undesirable to actually be an American in the Windy City’s many neighborhoods. And while the diversity of Chicago is an admirable trait of a fantastic town, the Obamas failed to properly discuss America’s contribution to the world, both athletically and otherwise. Instead, they spent far too much time speaking about themselves, their personal need for the Olympic Games to come to Chicago, their desire to step out of their front door and welcome the world to their neighborhood. And, at the end of the day, the Olympic committee held that it wasn’t about them.

Is it any wonder that the IOC rejected Chicago even before it rejected the candidacy of Tokyo, and the Japanese officials’ ridiculous argument that their city was the best choice because global warming would make the 2016 Games the last ever? Barack Obama has spent nine months now traveling the world and disparaging America every chance that he gets. Michelle Obama only became proud of America when a starstruck and shallow segment of the American people began to embrace her husband as a presidential candidate. And now they wanted to sell America as host of the 2016 Games? A nation they both believe to be oppressive, arrogant and deeply flawed?

That’s the equivalent of a bloody Vince Shlomi showing how a material defect in the Slap-Chop could result in the accidental amputation of fingers, and then turning around and begging for $19.95 plus shipping and handling. It just doesn’t work.

In truth, I’m sad for America because it would have been an honor to once again host the Olympic Games, because thousands of jobs could have been created for the purpose of designing and building the infrastructure needed for such an event. But at the same time I’m happy for America because this was a victory against political corruption, this was a vote against hypocrisy and superficiality, and this was a global referendum on the president of the United States and his enormous ego.

By receiving the least amount of votes in the first round, mere hours after the president and his wife passionately made their flawed arguments, this was the world telling Barack and Michelle Obama that no, they are not bigger than the United States of America, and that he is not the President of the World.

I think it will be easy for liberals and supporters of this president to look at the reaction among conservatives today as somehow un-American. I see where they can see it. However, if they look deeper, if they detach emotion and look at the reasons why the president was there in the first place, they can see that we were not cheering against America today, but rather for her.

Local coverage. Just as shocked.

Comments

Well! At least Obamites did not play the "Constitution Card!"

And, consider this, if what you say is true, Jeff–The IOC seems to be a right wing group of terrorists! For what other reason can you think of that they did not let Obama/Soetoro have his way? Well, maybe his campaign magic has become passe! That is a distinct possibility.

I think the reason that Chicago didn't get it is that the city is broke. Obama/Soetoro would have assured them that stimulus money would be available to back Chicago up. They probably laughed and told Obama/Soetoro that China wouldn't lend the USA any money for Chicago for fear of being outdone!

I will sleep well tonight. This may indicate of what the world thinks of the so called "WORLD LEADER."

Thanks Obama for spending all of those tax dollars to get your ego deflated and egg on your face.

4. BAD PR MOVE BARRY says:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha (deep breath) Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

D E N I E D ! Been a while since this Messiah has had reality thrown in his face.

Maybe if Chicago folks quit killing each other with railroad ties they might stand a better chance.

verification word: plagraft
    plain graft

"Hours after President Obama personally lobbied the International Olympic Committee, Chicago was the first city eliminated from contention for hosting the 2016 Olympics, finishing last in among four contenders in the voting."

private:

last sentence in 2nd paragraph:

And theyust have done so-

they must

ALL CAPS MAN: you took the words right out of my mouth.

9. Predator says:

Wag the dog; is there an airstrike in Denmarks future?

10. Boston Blackie says:

I heard Michelle screaming "How dare they – I-I-I, it is all about me" Don't they know that at a rally in Daley Plaza five months BEFORE the election, Obama drummed up enthusiasm for the bid. He said: "In 2016, I'll be wrapping up my second term as president, so I can't think of a better way than to be marching into Washington Park alongside Mayor Daley, alongside Rahm Emanuel, alongside Dick Durbin, alongside Valerie Jarrett as President of the United States, and announcing to the world, 'Let the games begin!'"
    Hopefully Obamama is pulling that size 14 boot out of his arze because the IOC got a hold of the video from earlier in the week of beating of the honor student. Picture what those thugs would do to a non english speaking tourist(I am referring to the elected Chicago thugs).

How long will it be before the Obama Administration puts sanctions on Brazil?

12. PGen. says:

Just my 5 cents:

Isn't Obama supposed to be the symbol of inclusion and hope and all that? Now, when showing up, he actually helped Rio de Janeiro.
    If he is a symbol of inclusion, then Rio was the underdog represented by that image. Their whole campaign was based on this idea. They even used the "Yes we can" slogan.

So, he shows up, conveys an image of "inclusion" and expects votes for America, who is the "establishment"in Olympics?

Come on? Is he dumb or what? Hasn't he some adviser with an IQ above 12 to predict this outcome?

Or is he really that keen on a spotlight that he couldn't pass yet another opportunity to flash to the world media?

Talk about bad strategy…. For chicago, the best was for him to have stayed at home….

Not to talk about all the problems originally in the city's bid….

"…alongside Mayor Daley, alongside Rahm Emanuel, alongside Dick Durbin, alongside Valerie Jarrett…"

This list, prepended by Obama's own name, should be followed by the word GUILTY spelled by the foreperson.

14. Lilly says:

While I would have loved to have seen the Olympics in Chicago and the burbs (close to home), I to had to smile about this decision!
    Do you think that maybe besides the Corruption part of it and the city violence, that National Security had a part in the IOC decision? I mean look what has been happening lately and Chicago is a large city, then add the Olympics to the mix. Perfect target and again to close to home for me.

"…not on behalf of America, but on behalf of their own egos…"

Recently, sources close to France's President Nicolas Sarkozy said that “Sarkozy thinks that President Obama is incredibly naive and grossly egotistical – so egotistical that no one can dent his naiveté.” They go on to indicate that Sarkozy is very concerned and worried about Obama as leader of the free world. So what are they seeing behind the scenes and what are they trying to tell us?

Obama has been described as a narcissist, a sociopath, a megalomaniac and all of the above. While I'm not sure how far down the path from narcissism Obama has gone, I do believe he's already far enough down that road to scare the hell out of me. And now, having been royally snubbed by the IOC, I wonder how he'll deal with that. Where will "Playing with Feces" first broadcast from – Fox or the Oval Office? I wonder if Bill Maher is taking odds?

Last night I dreamt that I woke up this morning, turned on my computer and the headline on Drudge was "Obama…really Ashton Kutcher…America got punk'd." Oh Well, I can dream can't I?

16. Bodenzee says:

I sorry that Michelle's father had MS. It's a horrible disease. But, only an idiot or narcissist would cite that as a reason to give the Olympics to Chicago.

The total time spent from departure to return from Copenhagen — $???

The sacrifice made by Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey to flit to Copenhagen — $???

Hearing the IOC tell Barack Obama/Soetoro "No You Can't" — PRICELESS!

Jeff, that video of CNN's "coverage" is the best video you have ever put into a piece. I couldn't BELIEVE the disbelief! "Chicago is OUT? Chicago is OUT?"

And, Chicago received the LEAST number of votes!

Add to that your poster of "FAIL" instead of "HOPE" — ROFLMAO!

This is a day to remember!

18. Dee says:

I loved this decision. I heard CNN say before the vote that all the IOC members were anxious to shake BO's hand and it was hard for them to hide their partiality to BO. What a joke. As I have said in the past, everything is always about him (or her). He needs to realize that he is President of the United States, not President of Chicago. I'm waiting for them to propose that an investigation be done into the IOC voting. As Gail said, Priceless!
    Word verification: ovoillys
    What "willies" the ovaries of Letterman's female staff members get when he walks by.

I am really glad that Chicago DIDN'T get the vote to have the Olympics there because — how and who would be paying for all of the stuff needed to bring that City up to the standards of previous Olympics, US and we CAN NOT AFFORD IT after Obama has put us so far in debt already…. Granted, in a better time, with less graft in the handouts and less people that are OWED by Obama huge favors getting money off of the corrupt land sales and job bids and pricing controls that would be benefited by the Chicago MOBocracy, he woudl be paying back a huge portion of what he personally owes to Daley and buddies, but that is NOT a reason to bring the Olympics to CHICAGO or to have the average American Citizens around this country foot the bill.

I am laughing my head off and smiling deep down inside at this huge rebuke of OBAMA and COMPANY……

20. Claudia says:

by the way the comment at 3:08 signed in as ANon, is ME…. I FORGOT TO put my name int eh name placea on the posting…. Claudia

Jeff, I've been thinking about this and the comment made about French President Sarkozy. They "added insult to injury" to Obama/Soetoro by adding that Chicago had the LEAST amount of votes.

I'm thinking that the IOC has heard the cries of American conservatives and possibly based at least part of its decision on what they've seen going on over here. "No you cannot" might have been the IOC's way of saying, "We hear you, American citizens! Progressive Democrats do not dictate to the IOC!"

22. Boston Blackie says:

Jeff, Anyway you can add a thumbs up / thumbs down option to the comments so we can leave a quick nonverbal comment for a previous blogger. On such a beautiful, joyous occasion like today, everyone gets a big thumbs up for their comments on Obamama. Hopefully, this is a taste of what 2012 will be like.

Oh dang, I guess nobody from ACORN went with them. Teehee

Sally

Oh yeah, and there was a celebration all planned in Daley Plaza with hundreds of people waiting for the Chicago is hosting announcement. Hee Hee

25. CLIMB AND MAINTAIN says:

Look on the bright side, our Air Force One pilot racked up some flight hours. (The pilot on Air Force Two as well…… what a waste hauling M&O over there tho)

26. OBAMA THE ANTI-MIDAS says:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) — Three months after coming through a federally-financed bankruptcy, the new Chrysler Group still faces serious trouble with no quick solution in sight.

The carmaker may have been given a sleek and shiny new balance sheet, but the products on the showroom floor are the same stale cars and trucks from before and there's not much new to look forward to.

well I guess he ISn't the Anti-Christ after all.

28. CLINICAL, BUT EXPLAINED, DEPRESSION says:

3 years and 4 months more of these twos egos?????

I can't take it! Those Cymbalta ads are starting to look very appealing to me.

29. Lilly says:

poor barack and michelle – stuck in campaign-mode.
    WHERE ARE THEIR ADVISERS?
    not a single person to point these people in the right direction?

these two just cant seem to get away from themselves, not even with a prepared speech? kinda' sad and funny at the same time.

will they ever improve BEFORE they leave the white house?

i'd like to hear the reasoning behind speding double dollars for two separate planes to denmark on two separate days? especially in our financial situation. i sincerely would like this defined…

who's in charge of their schedules? this is another glaring example of irresponsibility and total disregard for setting an example of saving when needed.

WHATEVER the reason, Chicago has been on this beat for the past four years. Obama has been in office for 8 months and his schedule was poorly handled…. there is absolutely no reason why this wasnt planned in advance and if need be rejuggle to fit a one-plane scenario… afterall, its not like they were driving by car one state over.

one blunder
    two blunders
    three blunders, four…

but blunder after blunder after blunder after blunder after blunder and you finally have to think, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE its not a great idea to hire an inexperienced and unproven person with no significant accomplishments for his constituents – and especially with so many questionable friends to the office of the presidency?

yeah, maybe not a good idea.

33. Ian Thorpe says:

Dee Said said:

The truth is the members of the IOC are so elitist they have probably never heard of Obama and thought he was there to serve drinks.

But you said Jeff the only time the Olympics have gone south of the line was Sydney. Actually in 1956 they were in Melbourne. But as we all know Austrailia is only physically in the Southern Hemisphere. Spiritually is is in the mid Atlantic halfway between Britain and America.

Is it significant that the only southern nation to have been awarded the Olympics (twice) have only ever been ruled by white people? Like those Obama nurs say, racism is everywhere.

Right on, Anonymous at 4:41 a.m.! (Good grief, what are you doing still up at that hour?!)

After all of Obama/Soetoro's apologizing just since January *FOR* the USA, maybe the IOC figured it was time the high and mighty one apologized *TO* the USA!

Of course, Obama/Soetoro took his TelePrompTer with him to Copenhagan. TelePrompTer should have its own SS detail! (Don't you KNOW it's a miserable being, with all the garbage fed into it?!)

Michelle got her own plane to make her feel important. And Oprah should be ashamed, a real camera ho.

36. goddessdivine says:

Very well put, Jeff. I think the Drudge headline the other day says it all: "The ego has landed." Barry and Michelle deserve each other–two self-absorbed narcissistic individuals who think they are the center of the universe.

I am happy for Rio.

Chicago would have a better chance if we had sent it's greatest athletes and one of the most recognizable personalities in the world…..relax MJ, Obama plays hoops too