I Need a Favor From You!

I’ve been planning, for a while, to put together a series of articles on entrepreneurs I know bucking the economy and hanging their own shingle, kind of a celebration of American work ethic and ingenuity. Unfortunately, because my school schedule has been beyond hectic, and because this president and Congress has provided us with a veritable wealth of material for the Web site, I haven’t been able to get started on the series.

The first piece was going to be on a company called NuBarter. A friend of mine, Aaron Tillinger, got in on the ground level and the stories of the success of the company have come fast and furious. Aaron is a friend, and actually is no stranger to America’s Right — back in March of 2008, when the daily readership topped out at about 40 people instead of more than four thousand, Aaron contributed by recounting his experience standing guard at the funeral of a young Auburn University student who had been murdered just off campus.

The nutjobs at the Westboro Baptist Church had planned to protest Lauren Burk’s funeral because of her Jewish faith, and Aaron joined the Patriot Guard and wrote about it wonderfully.

Now, NuBarter is a semi-finalist in Forbes magazine’s Boost Your Business Contest. To win the $100,000 award–$50,000 for investment in the business, and $50,000 in Forbes advertising–would be an absolute windfall and fantastic reward for a ton of hard work and sacrifice. Please read the short description of the business at the contest Web site, if you’d like, and vote for NuBarter in the Boost Your Business Contest.

I know it’s shameless, but I don’t have the time to write this the way I’d like — and the deadline for the contest is September 30th. Please do this … for me!

How to Vote:

1. Go to the Forbes Boost Your Business Contest Web site.
  2. Scroll down — NuBarter is on the left side.
  3. Read the accompanying information, if you’d like.
  4. Vote for NuBarter.
  5. Check your e-mail and validate the vote.

And thank you. Now, if you’ll need me, I’ll be studying over the weekend and preparing a bunch of material for next week. And, as it turns out, I think we may have a new writer or maybe two for your reading pleasure.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Sunday night/Monday morning update — I haven’t heard from Aaron about the numbers, and the effect of our little astroturfing maneuver here. I hope it helped. Regardless of the result, I really appreciate all who understood that it must be something important for me to expend what little trust capital I have here at AR, and voted for NuBarter.

Plus, it allowed me to stay away from the computer for the weekend, and focus on studying–some–and mostly just get our house ready to go on the market. In fact, now that I’m in the business of squandering trust capital — if anybody knows anyone moving to the Philadelphia area, my house is for sale. For more information, just e-mail me.

Comments

1. bowiser says:

You have my vote

2. Thomas says:

Done

3. Jule says:

All set!!

4. Aaron aka Tilli says:

Jeff, you are an amazing friend. Thank you and all of your readers.

I did it!

Now I am going to go check out this Nubarter….sounds like something that might come in handy when the dollar collapses!

I am in the process of developing a new business as well! It involves baking…after all, everyone needs comfort food during troubling times!

Lisa in TX

Voted. That was easy

Go Nu…..

He got my vote.

Copied the plea and forwarded it to my political group, conservative friends group, and resistnet folks. And, I asked them to vote and pass it on. Was not long until I received emails that their votes have been cast for NuBarter.

9. sneese says:

DID IT!He is still not up in the top 5. Maybe by the 30th? I have started up a business also, and it's good! Just have to have something that others need, and be best at it!

10. John Feeny says:

My vote's in.

Study hard, big guy.

11. Celia in TX says:

I recently made a new arrangement where my entire family will have full hair services (cuts, etc.) in exchange for my teaching her son to play the saxophone on a weekly basis. Bartering is a great thing to be able to do!

Let's get a donation going to ACORN. They have LOTS of experience on how to generate votes for specific candidates. At least if your friend doesn't mind votes from Mickey Mouse and dead people….

Jeff:

I think it would be awesome to post the SNL skit on Ghaddafi's UN speech. It is hilarious! We all need a good laugh now and then…especially you, busy guy!

Lisa in TX

14. goddessdivine says:

Done!!

It's the least we can do for you.

Anytime Jeff, least I can do for your time vested in what we all so passionately believe in.

Also, I'm 2L (evening as well, full time job and a family) and can't imagine undertaking a successful blog.

16. Courtney says:

Done

17. OUR DEFENSE says:

This is a comment I found posted on a youtube video (for an Avril Lavigne song … When You're Gone).
    Keep our troops and their families in your thoughts and prayers!!! (Especially Afghanistan since it is getting ugly)
    —————-

I can relate to dis video sooo much! my dad is sometimes deployed and we dont know the next time he will have to go back maybe this year mabye next. I no for sure i will be listening to this song when he is gone because its hard its really hard. for those of you with millitary familys u no where im getting this from. theres times when things REALLY suck and u want to lock ur self in ur room in cry or u will fall asleep crying. sometimes u just dont know..

Voted. Good luck to your friend.

19. MEDDLER IN CHIEF says:

Determined to muck up absolutely EVERYTHING.

WASHINGTON – Students beware: The summer vacation you just enjoyed could be sharply curtailed if President Barack Obama gets his way.
    Obama says American kids spend too little time in school, putting them at a disadvantage with other students around the globe.
    "Now, I know longer school days and school years are not wildly popular ideas," the president said earlier this year. "Not with Malia and Sasha, not in my family, and probably not in yours. But the challenges of a new century demand more time in the classroom."
    The president, who has a sixth-grader and a third-grader, wants schools to add time to classes, to stay open late and to let kids in on weekends so they have a safe place to go.

I voted using multiple emil addresses. Go NuBarter!!!!

And Go DAWGS…

I voted fo NuBarter. The validation email came in my junk folder so hopefully people will check their spam mail.I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for your friend. :)

Thanks for everything that you do Jeff. We appreciate you!

22. Jan says:

Just voted. In the event he does not win I am praying that the Lord open other doors that will benefit him and the company.

MEDDLER–
    Obama/Soetoro has more in mind than education, I fear. The more time a kid is in school, the more time the government has to brainwash him.

And here's an interesting development–My friend called the school principal about a cheerleading group's upcoming trip to Hawaii. It seems that the trip is dividing the Haves from the Have-Nots. She got no satisfaction, so she called the county school board. They said talk to the school. So, she called the GA State Board of Education. Guess what! They don't have any say-so over local schools!

Where does the buck stop?

24. Boston Blackie says:

You can vote for up to 5 candidates so make sure you give NU a bullet by only voting for him, it really makes a difference. I used 3 different addresses and sent it along to family and friends. As they say in Boston (and probably in Chicago) – Vote early, vote often.
    The polls close on the 30th!

25. Aaron Tillinger says:

Thanks again to everyone.

We have not yet broken back into the Top 5 which is where we need to be to advance, but I know we are close.

Keep your fingers crossed for us and we can still pull this off.

26. Gary Field says:

Thank you for all your help. Your effort in round 2 truly paid off, as we made it into the finals. May God and country support us again through your generous effort.
    People in round 2 can vote again in round 3. Voting ends today at midnight. People must validate their vote in an email Forbes sends them after they submit the vote.
    Thanks again. I appreciate it greatly,

Gary Field