The Story of Stuff — The Critique

Many of you have seen or heard about the indoctrination video that has only recently been brought to the attention of folks like Glenn Beck. If you haven’t, make sure you’re sitting down, make sure all sharp objects are out of reach, and do the following:

1. Read the light-hearted, pussyfooting warning about the video provided by the fair, objective folks at The New York Times.
  2. Watch the video. Prepare for twenty minutes of increased blood pressure.
  3. Know that even though this video has been shown for a year now at thousands of schools across the nation, you will not be able to deprogram your children in one sitting. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Then, watch these:

Comments

The Story Of 'Stuff they are polluting our kids minds with'.

Not directly related to your post, Jeff. But, revealing review of the approach toward indoctrination/propaganda all the same.

From Pajamas http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerkimball/2009/09/21/breaking-news-national-endowment-for-the-arts-renamed-national-endowment-for-propaganda-stay-tuned-this-is-only-the-beginning/ , Roger Kimball discussing the conversation between the White House and the Natl Endowment for Propaganda the Arts:

Reading through this transcript, I was struck by two things. One was the aroma of self-intoxication. These bureaucrats and artists and activists are utterly besotted by the contemplation of their own virtue. They know what’s good for the country, and what’s good for you, and they’re willing to devote themselves ceaselessly to making it happen.

The second thing that strikes one about this transcript is the aura of menace that floats just behind the talk of passion, pushing the president’s agenda, connecting with “labor unions, progressive groups,” etc., etc. As Yosi Sergant’s pep talk suggests, these people regard legal obstacles not as boundaries to be observed but as impediments to be overcome by “tactics,” a word that frequently appears in the transcript.

There is a German word for what we are witnessing at the NEA and elsewhere in the Obama administration’s effort to push its agenda. It is Gleichschaltung. It means two things: first, bringing all aspects of life into conformity with a given political line. And second, as a prerequisite for realizing that goal, the obliteration or at least marginalization of all opposition. –Roger Kimball

Here's the Wikipedia entry about Gleichschaltung: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleichschaltung

If you really care about this, as a local school district taxpayer, you should be calling your superintendent's office asking whether this film has been shown in any classroom in your district. If they can give you no answer, then you ought to be calling the principal of a specific school. They need to know what is being shown in their classrooms. A school district is beholden to the taxpayer…ALWAYS

4. COME ROB ME IN A KNOXVILLE PARK says:

Off topic,

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Another of Tennessee's major cities has decided to keep a ban on guns in its parks.

The Knoxville City Council voted 6-3 on Tuesday to keep its 30-year ban of firearms in parks.

The vote joins Knoxville with about 70 other cities and counties which have opted out of a new state law that allows people with pistol permits to go armed in local parks.

The Knox County Commission is scheduled to take up the issue Monday night.

THANK YOU FOR SPREADING THE WORD!!!!!
    You're right, Jeff. It is a marathon. This will be the fourth time I've had to confront my child's school administrators about such issues. One example…she received a book last year about the environment and pollution which basically presented the same type of fear-mongering lies as this video. The pics were graphic and frightening…and she was only in the first grade! I didn't let her read it, and sent it back to the teacher. Upon calling the principal, she wasn't even aware of what classrooms were feeding to the kids. Disgusting…she's going to be annoyed when I call her again about this film, to tell her my child better not be exposed to it, but too bad!!!!!

I think I am going to be sick.

Regardless, thank you Jeff, we all need to wake up.

7. TNelson says:

If it were not so serious, I would pass it off as a joke! I laughed out loud through most of her absurd assumptions, then I realized most adults would not know enough not to believe her either. If they showed this in my sons school I would not be worried for my son, but what about everyone elses children?

Communist cartoons………
    SpongeBob makes more sense than this lady.

Is Ms. Leonard on Soetoro/Obama's payroll yet as a Czar? This is totally disgusting! How many kids are tossing their pillow's in the floor at night because of her hogwash? No Dad, I can't take the garbage out, do you know we are hurting other people with our trash! She also took President's Bush's statement about shopping out of context. Anyone that saw the picture of him holding that little girl after 9/11 saw the anguish and grief in his face. We all grieved, most of us prayed and hoped something like this would never happen again on American soil. Oh, and by the way Ms. Leonard, the tank would have been appropriate because those men and women inside them give us Liberty. They take their oath to uphold the Constitution seriously! Our happiness starting dropping in the 50's/60's because that is about the time we started allowing God to be taken out of everything! Sorry about the long post Jeff but I could go on and on. Green is fast becoming my most hated color!

Sally

All the more reason for eliminating the U.S Dept. of Ed! — Either they don't know squat or they are brainwashing our children. As Glenn Beck puts it so well, "Hmmmmm."

11. goddessdivine says:

When I saw this on Beck, my jaw dropped. This video is UNbelievable. And it's more so that it's being shown all over the country. No wonder we have so many brainwashed youth! I'm telling you, this is all part of the progressive plan….

Thanks for posting the critiques.

12. Teri~Facedown says:

Thanks for posting this Jeff! I must have missed this when it was on Beck–I don't always catch his show! Anyway, I watched each video and I'm very glad for the education. I will be making sure it's not being shown to the students in out town!

Making this propaganda is legit only as long as it isn't paid by the taxpayer money and forced on school children. Too bad we stubbornly keep ourselves chained to "principles" and "rules" while the other side dumps on them. To (mis)quote Daniel Hannan, we have become "devalued subjects of a devalued government", unable to make our protest heard and heeded.

The ironic thing is that the free markets that Ms. Leonard seems to find so distasteful are exactly what ensure that the environment is protected.

If a US company was polluting the planet so much, do you think there would be no outcry? In a free market, people have choices, and this allows them to take into account any factor they want, including environmental impact. If I learn a company is dumping hazardous chemicals into a water supply (a rare event in the U.S.), I would gladly pay a little more to buy elsewhere- and only in a free market will I be rich enough to make that choice. In a command economy (aka communism), my choices are limited, and there is no incentive to protect the earth. Further, command economies tend to lack the transparency that consumers need to make responsible choices to begin with.

This is borne out in my personal experience. I've traveled to a number of current and former communist countries, and the environments there are appalling. Russia (which is still not really a free market) and China have much greater problems with pollution than their non-communist neighbors. Why are Thailand and South Korea less polluted than China? The free market.

15. i think u r all stupid did u know to see this it is true i am also a conserviate

Trackbacks

1. [...] the documentary too biased for high school students. A four-part critique posted on YouTube and at America’s Right a conservative political website, attacks almost every statistic cited in the film and rants at [...]