Paging Number Sixty

According to the Associated Press, the Massachusetts senate has approved legislation permitting Gov. Deval Patrick to name a successor to the late Sen. Ted Kennedy. The bill should be signed by the end of the week.

This decision, while certainly no surprise, is about as hypocritical as it gets. Yes, it was Kennedy himself who, just a week before his death, petitioned the state legislature to change the law guiding the selection process — but it was also Kennedy himself who lobbied for the very law now being disregarded back in 2004, when Sen. John Kerry looked like the inevitable 44th president of the United States and then Gov. Mitt Romney stood ready to appoint Kerry’s successor.

From the look of the AP report, there will still be a special election in January as the current law proscribes, but in the meantime an interim replacement will be picked by Patrick so the U.S. Senate maintains the 60 Democratic Party votes necessary to wield largely unchecked power.

Comments

Can a formal lawsuit be filed to halt the process until court hearings are held??

Its amazing things like this are happening in the USA. Our founding fathers must be turning in their graves at this modern congress making laws to suite their political agenda and then the very same people repealing those laws when the political tides change. It's truly disgusting. I think Rix had a good point in a comment on another segement that would relate to the first sentence in this comment; America as we know it no longer exists and violence may be the only way to correct the issues. Not that I'm promoting that, but he does have a point.

Word verify: supper

Perhaps the last one?

Senator Byrd slipped and fell today. He's in the hospital. That probably won't keep them from wheeling him in on a gurney, however, to vote.

GREED! POWER! MARXISM!

One thing that the Founding Fathers never considered is that the Congress and the President, when united by the same agenda of power grab, can easily suppress the judicial branch through key appointments, bribery and intimidation, and tilt the field to their permanent favor. That is precisely what happened in Germany of 30-ies, with unions playing the role of revanchist Bundesburger rabble who voted the NSDAP in. Problem is, there will be no Allies to liberate us, not even the Red Army; we wake up, take the gloves off and fight, or we play by the rules and end up furnace fuel.

When trying to confirm Byrd has a D after his name, I found something interesting. While I was waiting for the page to load, I thought it was curious that Kennedy's immediate replacement was cleared on the same day Byrd fell, noting they can't maintain the 60 seats.

This was posted 1/20/09 at Planet Waves, Byrd became ill and was escorted out and medical staff was called. "A minute late", Kenny began having convulsions and was wheeled out — this at the inaugural lunch.

6. I'VE FALLEN, BUT I'M OKKK says:

I don't need MedicAlert!, "Help I've fallen, and there are 59 others helping prop me up".

7. I'M SORRY, YOU'RE OLD NOW says:

DAMN IT, airlines pilots have age restrictions, so should Congress, these people can screw up far more than an aluminum tube crammed full of us.

It must be time, there is nothing left in West Virginia to name after him.

9. David says:

I live in Ma. and the comment sections of the biased Boston Globe are burning with hatred towards this decision. The voters are pissed. I hope they remember this when election time rolls around. There are a few funny things about this whole scam. In a heated argument over the lack of representation with a Globe reader, I was sent all contact info for Ma legislators. I sent them all a scathing email about the blatant circumvention of our Constitution. After my rant about the the lefts feigned concern over not having two senators, while Teddy boy missed 97% of all votes in the past two years, I was greeted with(in my email inbox) 15 out of office email replies. How is that for representation. The supposed best guy for the interim job according to the moonbats around here is …….MIKE DUKAKIS!!! Are you kidding me! This state is so full of idiots, I am amazed. It doesn't say too much for the schools around here now does it?

We must come up with a way to allow urns to vote in the Senate.

To the Senate that flips us the bird, now their byrd has flipped.

Maybe the govt. will pay for Byrd's scooter chair if private insurance goes under!

13. leslie brown says:

I hope he can be as honest and loyal to the American people as our previous Senator, Kennedy!!!

Hopefully he will be a better driver also leslie. Bridges can be very tricky.